Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hoth! Tauntauns?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ewok Homie
05-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Its another plant post on what you think may or may not happen on its maps.
 Ewok Homie
05-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Okay, hoth is a cold desolate place with echo base. Im wondering how in the world are we gonna survive on tauntans while being fired at from the huge At-Ats. I know there will be trenches so in my mind the only way to survive would be in the trench with one of them tauntans. Your thoughts?
 Eagle Warrior
05-06-2004, 12:19 PM
there is no way to escape the imp rox. the only way to escape it not to attack the at-ats. all you got to do it hop into a snowspeeder and hope that you dont get hit be a at-st and at-at. the tauntauns are for attacking the ground troops and a quick escape GO IMPS:atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:
 StormHammer
05-06-2004, 3:07 PM
Just to let you know...it's Tauntaun. :cool:

And as for the question...well, I admit I'm concerned about Tauntauns. As I stated in another thread, they're not exactly the fastest mode of transport, and they have no armour. So they could potentially be quite vulnerable to attack.

I tend to agree they will be used for quick strikes against enemy ground troops, and won't be able to stand up to attacks from heavy blaster fire from AT-ATs or other vehicles.
 Lt. Havoc
05-06-2004, 3:25 PM
well since we've all seen the movie we can reformulate an attack which could counter the original IMP assault. Namely, don't fly straight into them, attack from the flanks, make better use of the snow trenches and attempt to separate the AT-ATs from one another and their supporting infantry.

See that's the fun of recreating battles, if you know the outcome then you can alter your defenses ahead of time. Then over time it becomes a battle of conditioned learning.
 DashRendar1
05-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Probably unlikely, but could be a fun scenario:

Several At-Ats are taken down by snowspedders. The troopers inside of the At-Ats come out, and see a wave of Tauntaun riding Rebels charging them LOTR style.

That would be pretty fun, and possibly a good tactic.
 joesdomain
05-08-2004, 12:32 AM
I don't see how a tauntaun could be in good toward fighting at-st and at-at walkers unless they use some other weapon than a pistol. Galactic Battlegrounds had the creatures and the troops carried flamethrowers. I think it is fictional that a flamethrower would work well in a cold snowy environment.
 StormHammer
05-08-2004, 3:04 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I don't see how a tauntaun could be in good toward fighting at-st and at-at walkers unless they use some other weapon than a pistol. Galactic Battlegrounds had the creatures and the troops carried flamethrowers. I think it is fictional that a flamethrower would work well in a cold snowy environment.

Well, you could melt the ice in the path of an AT-AT if you had a flamethrower. :D Although, you'd probably be better off with a thermal charge...

It would be good to see an AT-AT sink into mushy ice...and then see it refreeze. :cool:
 DashRendar1
05-08-2004, 4:16 PM
Hm, i'm pretty sure the devs will be able to figure out some kind of balance...
 Eagle Warrior
05-10-2004, 9:06 AM
they probably will probaly used for escape. in rebel strike 3 you jump onto a tauntaun and race away and you are going at a good decient pace. if you go ehind the :atat: then oyu are same and they can't shoot at you. unless you have a tail gun
:snipe1: :atat:
 Wai_TungLeung
05-10-2004, 10:47 AM
For certain the devs are going to do some sort of counter balance as in the film the rebels never stood a chance.

The Tauntaun will probably be able to run a little faster than usually for looking out functions or as mentioned escape. The fact that they are more or less white will probably be turned into some sort of advantage.

Those guns emplacements will probably be given more bite as in the film they were out of date machinery, useless and made you an easy target if they an AT-AT shot it. So the armour round those will be a little stronger.

The AT-AT's armour will be weakened as well as the firepower. :(
 Eagle Warrior
05-11-2004, 7:36 AM
if it was stronger then the game would be unfair. it would not be balanced. if you did put stronger armor and stronger shot then you would need stronger snowspeeders.;)
 Revlt Coranier
05-23-2004, 6:28 PM
Tauntauns are more of a patrol/scout kind of creature. I'm not sure how smart it would be to ride into combat on one.
 joesdomain
05-24-2004, 3:03 PM
I figure the tauntaun is the rebel's version of the empire's speeder bike. Both have the same uses. You will probably carry thermal detonators, blaster pistols, etc. with you to take out enemy units.
 Mountainforest
05-24-2004, 3:11 PM
Maybe its usefull to a scout, to get away fast. Or for a medic...
 Revlt Coranier
05-24-2004, 4:30 PM
That would be useful, a medic riding around a battlefield on a tauntaun. He could get to casualties quicker.
 Thrawn
05-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, they could be used to avoid battles completely and hit the back door of any Imperial base. That way you could infiltrate the base (especially if you're a bothan spy) and trade in your tauntaun for your very own AT-AT:D
 Eagle Warrior
05-25-2004, 1:02 PM
a bothan spy could ride it to a safe place whre knowbody can see it leave it there and then go spy. If he need for some reason to leave then he will go jump on and be gone.
 JawaJoey
05-31-2004, 2:12 AM
Tauntauns are more of a patrol/scout kind of creature. I'm not sure how smart it would be to ride into combat on one.

Yeah. In ESB, they were used for scouting, and only until the airspeeders were configured for the snow. In SWBF I guess they will be used to quickly transport individual troops to varioud battlefield locations.
 Doomie
05-31-2004, 9:46 AM
Well, tauntauns are small, and camouflaged in the snow. They may be weak, but if a small goup of rebel saboteurs could get close to an AT-AT without getting shot, they could do some serious damage. And it perfectly fits the rebel fighting style: Sneaky and almost invisible, until they strike.
 Drax Kreiger
05-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Since there are only so many vehicles per level, and the only ones we know are going to be there are snowspeeders, AT-ATs, and AT-STs, the Tauntauns are most likely just things that are used kinda like speeder bikes. That way you round out the vehicles, with the tauntauns acting as a fast way of traveling on the ground.

And besides, it's Hoth! You can't have Hoth without tauntauns! No matter what game you play, if you go to Hoth, there are tauntauns there. There may even be wampas there that just attack everybody.
 Dagobahn Eagle
06-01-2004, 12:09 AM
The way Star Wars games have been going, I practically expect Mynocks to be "ride-able" in a map set in the Hoth asteroid field:rolleyes:.

Tauntaunts on a battle field? Look, that's like seeing a movie from Canada where the Forest Rangers ride on horses and then watching Saving Private Ryan and wondering where the H*** the Canadian horse-riders are! "Canadians ride horses when scouting, thus they ride horses in battle!" Give me a break. The Ewok Homie said it better than I could. As for probots taking part in the battle: No again. Probots wouldn't stand a chance.

Thrawn, what on Earth are you talking about? "Imperial base"? There was no Imperial base on Hoth. The walker division and all the troops were dropped from space. And the imperials wouldn't let to "trade in a tauntaun for an AT-AT": AT-ATs have a crew of 4 (at least) and fit more than half a dozen troops. Sure, go ahead and take it, James Bond:D! Like Canadian riders could've sneaked past the German MG42's, mortars, bunkers, pillboxes, trenches, and about 100 000 troops and "trade in their throughbreeds for a German Tiger Tank:p.

Havoc, I don't recall any of those things happening in the battle of Hoth. And the speeders did fly "straight at the walkers".

As for Rogue Squadron III: The game is fun, but totally unrealistic. It contradicts the movies and even itself (Y-Wings can blast through Star Destroyers' armour but they can't harm AT-ATs?!). What were those tauntauns doing way out in the battle field anyway (though I guess the real question is "why the H*** did that whole imperial army just walk past them without doing anything:rolleyes:?). And in Rogue Squadron III, you could take a hundred shots and survive. Do you think anyone would've survived running through that mass of snowtroopers and armoured assault and support vehicles and survived?

DashRendar is probably right, though. Tauntauns were in the movie, so they have to be in the battle, just like you can't have a scenario where Norwegian freedom fighters attack a German installation without putting Vikings with battle axes in there. Same for the German tanks, that are only vulnerable to sticky bombs and nothing else (see Saving Private Ryan). So yeah, they'll probably be in the game:(.

As a side note, quit over-generalizing Star Wars. On the Galactic Conquest forums, there's this guy who says he wants rebels to wear stormtrooper armour because "in the movies the rebels had imperial uniforms they could sneak around in":rolleyes: . Look, Han and Luke disguising in Stormtrooper armours (not uniforms:p) was an improvised tactic (as much as the sticky bombs in Saving Private Ryan). The same goes for Endor: "The Ewoks saved the day!" The little teddy bears got their sorry butts kicked. All they did was destroy two walkers and conduct surpressing fire (rocks may knock a stormtrooper over, but it can't kill someone wearing a helmet. And the armour would deflect arrows. So no, the Ewoks didn't save the day on Endor; Han Solo and Chewbacca did by hijacking that AT-ST and using its radio (or whatever they call them in Star Wars) to send a false call for reinforcements to get the imperials to open the back door of that bunker. If that hadn't happened, the rebels would have lost (and I repeat, that was not an Ewok action. Han and Chewie aren't ewoks). They could kill every imperial in the forest and still would not have been able to open the bunker (what were they supposed to do, throw logs and rocks at them?!). And either way, that AT-AT the Imperials had at least one of (and seeing how the shield generator was such a high-profile target, I bet they had a division of at least 3 walkers) at the base. How long do you figure it would have taken it to reach the far side of the Imperial base and start blasting teddy bears and rebel blaster-wielding commandoes apart (funny how everyone tend to forget it)?

So no, no tauntauns on Hoth. And no, those big white snow gorrilas of yours shouldn't be in either: There was no sign of them during the battle, like there were no polar bears in the battle for Stalingrad, wild French animals running around on the French Normandy beaches, or

Tauntaunts are in "every game you play". Well, you're pretty right at that. I was hoping Battlefront would be more realistic, though...

Finally: There are other ways to balance the battle of Hoth than to make the imperials weaker. The objective could be to take the base before a certain time passes (most accurate), to win without losing so and so many units, and so on and so fourth.

Eagle
 yaebginn
06-01-2004, 8:24 AM
They should be in hoth. They wouldn't/shouldn't be used as a steed of war, but it would be an easier way to get around. it'd be a scout, like you said the Canadian horses were. I'd much rather ride a horse to a battle ten miles away then walk there. It'd take too much time and I'd be tired when i got there. Tauntauns are about as much an improvised tactic as snowspeeders or turret guns are.
 Doomie
06-01-2004, 8:46 AM
eagle, you keep comparing starwars to battles in the real world. I don't suppose the americans used tow cables against german panzers? It's starwars, it's unreal. If the rebels want to ride tauntauns into battle, they can. if there are tauntauns on the map, isn't it up to the player to decide to use them as scouts or go on a 'mission impossible'?
 Sabretooth
06-01-2004, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by Doomgiver
It's starwars, it's unreal.

Unreal and Star Wars are two entirely diffrent universes! Don't mix 'em!

BTW, who cares about the tauntauns? Jump into the AT-ATs and kill 'em all!!
 Doomie
06-01-2004, 9:34 AM
I didn't mean 'Unreal' I meant unreal as in 'not realistic' :p

Nice avatar BTW. Skaarj, if i'm not mistaken.
 Dagobahn Eagle
06-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I'd much rather ride a horse to a battle ten miles away then walk there. It'd take too much time and I'd be tired when i got there. Tauntauns are about as much an improvised tactic as snowspeeders or turret guns are.
Nobody said anything about walking to the battle. The way I see this thread going, everything is about using the tauntaun in the battle. "Ride through the tons of snowtroopers to your base". "Go behind enemy lines and steal an AT-AT".

Improvised tactics: I never said they were. See "analogies" below and "over-generalizations" above. I said that "saying tauntaunts were used in all situations on Hoth is like saying tow cables were used in every encounter with AT-ATs".

[E]agle, you keep comparing [star wars] to battles in the real world. I don't suppose the americans used tow cables against german panzers?

It's [star wars], it's unreal. If the rebels want to ride tauntauns into battle, they can. if there are tauntauns on the map, isn't it up to the player to decide to use them as scouts or go on a 'mission impossible'?
You need to learn how to use and understand analogies.

Hoth=Battle
Normandy=Battle

See what I mean?

An ANALOGY compares something to something else. I never said snowspeeders were in France or that Forest Rangers were on Hoth.

Read my post more throughout: Saying Tauntauns were used on Hoth is like saying Canadian forest rangers were used on the Normandy beaches. I never said SW=WWII. It's sort of like the saying "don't throw rocks in a house of glass". Now, when I say it, I don't mean that the guy I'm debating is actually throwing rocks in a house of glass.. get it?

Tauntauns were not used during the Battle of Hoth. Period. End of story. As for "well, let's throw them in anyway and if you don't like it, don't use it": Bad point. Always has been and always will be. It's something you say to end the debate when you've run out of arguments.

Furthermore, you wouldn't need to cross 10 miles to reach the battle. The enemy was right at Echo Base's door step and that was the first sighting ("walkers on the north ride"), which implies that nobody rode on tauntauns after the Imperials had landed.

Had the battle of Hoth included travelling over great distances, though (though not in battles), I'd actually want a tauntaun. But the map will most likely be about the battle itself, so no.

And I second "who cares? The AT-ATs would just blow them up!".

------

As for "SW vs. Reality": Well, the Empire is based on the nazis and the fighter battles over Yavin IV is made out of cuts from World War II footage. Just a side note.
 Doomie
06-02-2004, 5:57 AM
Yes. but Hoth= Fictional battle
Normandy = Real battle.

We can do anything we want with the tauntauns (if they're there), be it unwise or not. That's up to the player. And if my tactic works, then who's the one laughing huh? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!.... Sorry.
 Sabretooth
06-02-2004, 7:09 AM
Originally posted by Doomgiver
I didn't mean 'Unreal' I meant unreal as in 'not realistic' :p

Nice avatar BTW. Skaarj, if i'm not mistaken.

Then use the term 'not realistic' next time.

And thanks for noticing me avatar. He is Dominator, Vice-Leader of the Iron Skull Clan, Grandson of the Iron Skull Clan Lord and the icon of Skaarj prowess. Oh, and Skaarj is a race of aliens, THE most powerful aliens in the universe!

Muhahahaha!!!

Yes, and an effective tactic with the Taun-Tauns is to use them as quick vehicles for snipers. Hide away in the fog and shoot, then ride quickly and again shoot, and use the hit-and-run tactic. Of course, taun-tauns will need to be concealed.
That's my plan, anyways.

BTW, the Clan Lord is the guy who founded/organised the Clan and the Clan Leader is the current captain of the Clan. The Clan Leader of Iron Skull is Drekorig, Dominator's cousin.
 Doomie
06-02-2004, 3:14 PM
You could start an SWBF CClan based on that... But wwe're drifting off topic. Your hit and run suggestion would also be m=nice. That's the OTHER way rebels do it.
 Dagobahn Eagle
06-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Look, this really isn't a question of whether or not the rebels used tauntauns during the battle of Hoth. Did you see that little "car" the rebels rode to their speeders? It was on Hoth in the movie, so by your reasoning, the rebels rode it around on the battle field for whichever purpose. And I guess it's odd that nobody's suggested that the rebels use pod racers on Tatooine levels ("they're in the movies!"). Sure, give the rebels a couple of bottles of wine too. They were in the movie, and you could probably sneak around the imperial flanks and start beating up infantry with them...

Look, the question is, should it be in Battle front? In my opinion, no. Look, a division of Imperial assult vehicles that probably weigh hundreds of tonnes (seeing a tank is sixty tonnes), and two storeys-high support vehicles with both lasers, rockets, and grenades... versus mounted rebels with blasters. I mean, listen to yourselves:rolleyes:. Look, study World War II and see what happened when Poland tried using horse-mounted soldiers against German tanks. And those were tanks that today are outdated. AT-ATs are stronger and can take more of a pounding than any tank we have today. Mounted troops versus AT-ATs? When even heavy anti-armour defense turrets had trouble destroying them? It'll be like a hiker accidentaly stepping on an ants' nest. "Whoops, did we just run over something?" "Uh, I think it was a tauntaun battalion. Anyways, ensign, we're approaching the trench and turrets. Be ready to fire our heavy laser cannons..."

Since for some reason I can't use analogies from World War II, I'm sticking to Star Wars:

Look at the mounted Gungans versus the battle droids. See how they had their butts kicked? And those were infantry units, not AT-ATs. AT-ATs have two laser cannons, two heavy laser cannons, and four feet that each carry the weight of a behemoth that weights something around 400 pickup trucks (that's 100 tonnes a leg. Screw doggies, I want to have an AT-AT on my lap:D).

Look, whoever has studied warfare the slightest will know that cavalry is a very ineffective counter to heavy armoured assault units. There's a time and place for everything, OK, and a battle field is no place for horses. Notice how the rebels in Afghanistan ride horses, but never charged Taliban tanks with them?

--Eagle
 Drax Kreiger
06-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle

Look, whoever has studied warfare the slightest will know that cavalry is a very ineffective counter to heavy armoured assault units.

Ok, I have to admit that you may have a point there. But, you guys are just considering using the Tauntauns to just attack at-ats. I know they do pose the greatest threat, but you dont have to destroy all of the vehicles. You just have to complete the objectives. Like in the case of capturing command posts, you could use the tauntauns to slip past the at-ats while the at-ats are concentrating on snowspeeders. You can also use the tauntauns as an anti-infantry weapon (military tactics). Since destroying all of the at-ats wont win you the battle (since they respawn), you have to think of ways to win without the greatest weapons. And besides, Lucasarts have made sure that while the at-ats are powerful, you can still beat them. I wouldnt be surprised if the rebel pilots could take over the at-ats and use them against the imperials.
Page: 1 of 1