Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Does the DOTT/Sam&Max double-cd really bite this bad?

Page: 1 of 1
 boywombat
05-01-2004, 1:06 PM
Excuse my concern, but I was quite chuffed to find this double release having fond memories of Sam&Max and never having played DOTT - that is, until I stuck it in my computer...
1) No autoplay - the files are on the disk, but in the wrong directory. Not a biggie, but warning bells sound softly in the distance...
2) No installation instructions of any kind. Whatsoever.
3) Not the slightest attempt to make compatible with any operating system released in the last 10 years - despite the disk being a comparitively recent compilation. E.g. no sound under XP.
4) No CD audio tracks, as there were on the original S&M CD. This one really burned - on top of putting up with shovel-ware, nil printed documentation, a dodgy directory structure etc., the game is not even the full release!
Please somebody, tell me I am missing something - is it just my disc? Are all the cool CD tracks now included in the in-game sound file (monster.sou)? Why am I going this funny color?
Thanks for any positive feedback...
 Ray Jones
05-01-2004, 2:25 PM
want to enjoy sound under xp? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127426)

hmm.. i dont think there are cd-tracks for samnmax.

like dott it was released on floppy disks (first) i think. but i might be wrong.
 Mike Dimmick
05-05-2004, 4:56 PM
I got both games on this CD to work this weekend. My steps:

For Sam and Max: I tried everything else, but eventually got the game to work using the updated EXE (http://www.samandmax.net/index.php?section=hittheroad&page=techhelp). Copy the BUILD\SAMNMAX directory to \SAMNMAX on a hard disk. If you don't want to waste HDD space and have a CD burner, you may be able to build a CD. But it's less than 500MB, so it's not really worth it, IMO.

I haven't worked out how to turn off the 'smoothed' graphics, which I don't really like.

For Day Of The Tentacle: step one, install VDMSound (http://ntvdm.cjb.net). Step two, copy the BUILD\DOTT directory to your hard disk. Step three, edit DOTT.BAT so that the 'tentacle' line reads:

tentacle s220/7/8 g m

This tells DOTT to look for a SoundBlaster for playing wave audio at I/O port 220, IRQ 7 and to use 8 buffers, to play music through General MIDI, and to use the mouse. If you've edited VDMSound's VDMS.INI to change the emulated IRQ (you may find that sound is choppy on the default IRQ 7, or that some games don't support it - I use IRQ 5), replace the 7 with the IRQ you're using.

Step 4, right-click on DOTT.BAT and choose Run with VDMS.

Step 5, get out of my house! (sorry, couldn't resist).
 Brushguy
05-05-2004, 7:19 PM
There were audio tracks on the original HTR CD-ROM.

Put it in your CD player and you can listen to the theme song, Doug's theme, King of the Creatures, and the Bigfoot party. Just skip Track 1, which represents the game data.
 Dr Edison 007
05-06-2004, 6:09 AM
I own that and it doesn't suck THAT bad. It's not as good as any of the individual releases, but at least you have S&M, DotT, and Maniac Mansion on the same disc.
 Krazy
05-06-2004, 6:21 AM
I own it too. Its all I've have of these games ever and I say it ROCKS! Haven't you guys heard of Scummvm? Geeze thats the first thing you should try. I copied them both to the hard disk (so I wouldn't have to always have the CD in and for faster performance) then added them with Scummvm. Put it on midi music and supersai graphics filter and there awesome graphics, music and perfect performance! ROCKS!
Page: 1 of 1