Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Frustrating choppyness/autorun problem in Apartments

Page: 1 of 1
 poc301
04-28-2004, 8:45 AM
I have been experiencing a big problem while playing KOTOR.

I am still on the first planet. Every time I am in the apartments anywhere (upper city, lower city, etc, etc) the game runs fine. UNTIL I open a door to one of the rooms and go inside. Then the character runs all by himself, the framerate gets REALLY choppy, and it basically hops around the room due to the display lag. I have to save the game, quit completely out of the game, and then restart it and reload. Everything runs fine then, UNTIL I try to move in the room again. Once I get out of the rooms and back into the circular hallway of the Apartments, the game STILL does it. I need to save, quit, reload the game, and reload the savegame, and it runs perfect again. Until I enter another room.

I thought it was my video card (Geforce 2 32mb) so I upgraded to a Geforce FX5200 (256mb) which makes everything smooth and gorgeous (great upgrade), but the problem is still occuring whenever I enter one of the rooms. I have 1gb of SDRAM on my P4 1.9ghz, all the latest drivers and BIOS upgrades, etc. I'm a computer tech for a living, so I know how to troubleshoot. This threw me for a loop though.

Any help will be appreciated.
 Doom_Dealer
05-01-2004, 5:26 AM
hi mate, unfortunatly theres not much you can do, ive had the same problem but i just grin and bare it. Once your out of taris its not such a problem, althoughthe problem does unfortunatly occur in other areas, these are just some to watch out for:
(you'll know when your going to reach them so its not really spoilers)
1.bridge of the leviathon, holding cells of the leviathon (happens during cutscene so that might take a while to get thru, skip as much as the dialogue as u can in this area)
2. Certain side room in bases (rare, but sometime)
3. appartment style buildings, i.e the tusken raiders base.

theres is not many occurences of this but it can be very annoying, eventually you will learn to cope with it./

some tips i can give though may help. This provides about 2 seconds (not alot but it can help) of smooth play. Either pause the game for a minite or so and you should be able to get through a door etc. or minimize to windows and then reopen, with same effect.

also, when moving try and do it by talking to people. i.e if theres someone near a door you want to go to, instead of trying to run, press talk, you will go directly to them, not half way down the corridor past where you want to be.

sorry mate, all i can do
 Jard
05-01-2004, 7:56 AM
My first post here....

I'm also experiencing that problem in Taris apartments. Does ayone kow why it happens or how to solve it? KOTOR is running smooth on outdoor areas which should be a lot more demanding on my HW, but as soon as I try to open a door or a locker on any Taris apartment building (including the hideout) the problem appears.
 Prime
05-03-2004, 1:26 PM
This sounds like the problem I had when I first played the game. If it is indeed the same problem, it has been addressed by patched from Bioware. If you haven't done so already, I suggest going to bioware.com and getting the patches...
 Jard
05-04-2004, 6:52 AM
I'm downloading the patch, but with my 56k and lack of time it will take some more time. I'll post when I patch to see if it was solved.
 poc301
05-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that downloading and installing the 1.03 patch resolved the problem I was experiencing. It makes is much more enjoyable now :)
 Jard
05-06-2004, 6:51 AM
Just my luck, got a corrupt download on the 1.03 patch.

The good news are that I reinstalled the game and..... it worked, proble solved (at least in Taris).

Go figure......
 Prime
05-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by poc301
I just wanted to let everyone know that downloading and installing the 1.03 patch resolved the problem I was experiencing. It makes is much more enjoyable now :) Excellent! :) It likely had to do with the chipset you are using (several versions of Intel).

Originally posted by Jard
Just my luck, got a corrupt download on the 1.03 patch.

The good news are that I reinstalled the game and..... it worked, proble solved (at least in Taris).

Go figure...... Glad the problem is solved. I would suggest installing the patches anyway. There are a lot of other things they fix as well as other features added, like the walking key. Note that you can either use the update feature in the launch menu or download them from the bioware.com site...
Page: 1 of 1