Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Corruption in the Land of the Dead

Page: 1 of 1
 The Tingler
04-15-2004, 6:59 PM
I am having serious problems with Grim Fandango. Which is odd, because up until recently I had no problems whatsoever and have been enjoying my umpteenth replay since Tuesday.

The problem is, simply, a crash to the Desktop, usually accompanied by every 'Shortcut' symbol on the desktop appearing first.

It started when I attempted to enter the Scrimshaw Parlor. Now I can't play any section from any saved game without a crash, despite it working fine.

It is possibly (indeed, this is the only thing I can think over) connected with my attempt to Alt-Tab out of the game. It crashed after I returned to the game, and it's been doing it ever since.

I've tried re-installing the game, even on a different hard drive, but to no avail.
I've done everything the troubleshooting readme recommends, and have tried it with and without Direct3D.
The only thing I haven't tried is playing through the game from scratch. Which, frankly, doesn't appeal as I've only just done that.

Any help?
 The Tingler
04-22-2004, 7:17 PM
Well thanks a lot you guys.

As much as I hate the modern LucasArts, their forum (the moderator, of all people) gave the best advice, and it turned into the most simple answer: get the patch.

Which worked. Perfectly.

So I will give the advice now. If you're having crashing problems when playing Grim Fandango, just install the patch. It may not mention fixing the problem in the release notes, but it does.
 Jake
04-22-2004, 8:51 PM
Erm, have you tried applying the patch? :¬:

Sorry nobody got back to you, glad you got help!

-Jake
 Brushguy
04-23-2004, 2:52 AM
Help on these forums is so efficient. 50 people viewed my "Help!" post without any replies. I finally got one anyway. :p

Anyway glad to hear that the Dark Side Who Hate Fans..errm...Lucasarts got your problem fixed. :deathii:

Ironically, the same sort of thing happened to me, only it was with King's Quest 8. Oh well.
 The Tingler
04-24-2004, 8:16 PM
I'd forgotten a) there was a patch, and b) I'd uninstalled the game then reinstalled it without the patch some time ago.
 Bobo Donkey™
04-24-2004, 9:58 PM
You have a cool name "The Tingler". Not quite the next "ThunderPeel", but its pretty cool noine the less.
 bgbennyboy
04-30-2004, 3:20 PM
Of course, looking at the sticky (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85726), the one that says 'See here first!' always helps matters :¬:
 The Tingler
05-09-2004, 7:23 AM
It just caught me by surprise - I'm not used to LucasArts Adventures needing patches.

And cheers for the comments on my username. Some people like it, some are scared of it.
Page: 1 of 1