Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Top 13 of all the time!

Page: 1 of 1
 Isak
04-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to tell
There is a Swedish game magazine called Game Reactor, who have done a list over the 50 best games ever.
Grim Fandango got on 13 place!
Normally this magazine focus on action games (half life got #1), so I think it's cool that Grim got so high up. And it was the only adventure game! It beated Star Wars: KOTOR got on #16
 VampireNaomi
04-13-2004, 5:50 PM
Wow, that is great! I have been hunting old issues of a Finnish game magazine called Pelit. I think they might have had some very good GF articles, but that was a long time ago and it is pretty much impossible to find them anymore...

They have Internet files though, but I can't access them without ordering the magazine. :mad:
 Isak
04-13-2004, 8:31 PM
I will post the artilce tomorrow, because I forgot the magazine at my girlfriend.
 VampireNaomi
05-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I was going through some game magazines in library today when I saw this interesting column. It's full of short re-reviews of old classics and Grim Fandango was in issue 8/2003! The magazine is called Pelit (I mentioned it in my previous post) and it's the most known gaming magazine in Finland.

I scanned the article for you:

GF got five stars! (http://www.angelfire.com/darkside2/vampirenaomi/gfarticle.jpg)

I am still hunting for the original review that was published in issue 12/1998...
 Deeo
05-06-2004, 1:22 AM
Heh. Wish it was in english.
 VampireNaomi
05-06-2004, 2:29 AM
I could translate it later today.

EDIT: Okay, I translated the re-review. Some of the lines were very hard to translate, so they might seem a bit odd.

The text under the picture means "Hands up Manny!"

Here's the actual re-review:

It is original, it is funny and it has style. When you look at the script there are only a handful of serious competitors in the world.
It is the top of LucasArt adventure games, Grim Fandango.
A travel agent of the dead, Manuel Calavera, doesn't seem to get on with his lif... death. Customers are taken from him and the best train tickets for saints end up in very wrong hands.
Manny starts to investigate and ends up on his own four-year journey that will end in either salvation or damnation. On the way he has to dodge bullets, read poems in a beatnik club and fear demon beavers.
Tim Schafer's, who ran off in his own firm later, master piece is an almost perfect adventure game. The style of these grim dances is an exciting mixture of Mexican folklore, film noir movies and paper dolls. The package is decorated with intelligent black humour.
Grim Fandango is the first LucasArts adventure game that uses a 3D engine. The technique provides interesting camera views, but on the other hand, old 3D tends to look rather old. Thankfully the choice of style corners the problem of simple 3D: the edges fit the characters because we are talking about the dance of dolls made of paper.
The dialogue is stiff and clever. The puzzles are logical and different, though there are some unfinished ones. Those who own a modern computer need to update the game in order to solve a certain puzzle.
If one forgets the difficulty of controlling the character with keyboard there is nothing to complain about in Grim Fandango. A real classic.

Now... I kinda wonder the "paper doll" part of this article. I always thought that Manny and company were just what they looked like: bony dead people, and that their style had been inspired by the Mexican dolls...
 movieclockstar
05-09-2004, 3:14 PM
I think you're correct and the review is misworded... the idea and art style for GF's characters originated from Mexican calaveras, but as far as the game's story, they are literally supposed to be deceased humans in the Land of the Dead.
 Dawidos
06-07-2004, 2:24 PM
Grim Fandango is an amazing adventure game. It isn't strange that it has so hight place. By the way, do you know any fansite dedicated to Grim Fandango, except GF Network ?
 VampireNaomi
06-08-2004, 7:03 AM
Originally posted by Dawidos
By the way, do you know any fansite dedicated to Grim Fandango, except GF Network ?

I think there was this new member who had a marvelous site. I'll go through old posts and try to find the link.

Okay, I found it: http://www.ninth-world.com/)

Lots of great stuff there!
Page: 1 of 1