Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Freeware Programs for Reskins?

Page: 1 of 1
 Hax0redCardz
04-11-2004, 5:57 AM
I was just wondering what type of software you re-skinners use for creating/editing KotOR skins? I want to get into skinning myself, but don't really know where to begin.

I'm assuming things like paintshop pro and photoshop are at the top of the list, but are there any freeware programs that serve the same purpose? thx :D
 Jackel
04-11-2004, 7:21 AM
you could always try ..

the www.gimp.org/) (GIMP)

not sure how good it would be for reskinning but its free
 juv3nal
04-11-2004, 10:12 PM
the old version of paintshop pro used to be nag-only. (in other words you could keep using it forever, you just have to click past a screen telling you to buy it).

I'm not sure if that's the case with the new one or whether its time-capped.
 Prime
04-12-2004, 1:56 AM
If you are serious about skinning, it may be worth shelling out the bucks for something like Paintshop Pro.

I swear by it...
 Hax0redCardz
04-12-2004, 3:09 AM
Aww... but, I'm a broke ass college student (and I'm cheap as hell on top of that :( ). Would it be possible to... say... make re-skins in MS Paint? :D
 juv3nal
04-12-2004, 4:02 AM
gimp does have pretty much all the functionality you'd commonly be using if you had paintshop pro or photoshop, but user-friendliness is another matter...
 Poggle
04-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Paint shop pro is now sixty days but is completely useless for reskins all kinds of resolution problems and stuff
 Prime
04-12-2004, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Hax0redCardz
Aww... but, I'm a broke ass college student. Ah, I'm glad those days are behind me :)

Would it be possible to... say... make re-skins in MS Paint? :D It is possible, but it would be extremely difficult to do anything beyond very minor changes. Things like layer support and more advanced tools like that are IMO almost required.

But maybe that is just the way I work...

Paint shop pro is now sixty days but is completely useless for reskins all kinds of resolution problems and stuff What are you talking about? I use Painshop Pro for all my KOTOR skins and I have had no problems at all. Open textures, edit, and save. Piece of cake.
 Poggle
04-12-2004, 3:17 PM
The problem i have have with paintshop is when i write a texture from the KOTOR tool and open the tga in paintshop it is about half the size it should be and i cant seem to get round it? i think ill just shell out for photoshop
 svцsh
04-13-2004, 4:34 AM
BigJabba If you can I say go for Photoshop it’s my weapon of choice . May be a bit daunting at first but l tell you once you start to get the hang of it you will have no problems with other graphic softwear.

I would like to point out getting a book like ( photoshop for windows “visual quick start guide” I paid $12.00Canadian ) and reading the help files are very valuable tools to use of course there are hundreds of tutorials on line as well as free plugins and head over to Adobe.com and download a set of custom styles or brushes they come in real handy. If your serious about this I also encourage you to take classes as this is one robust piece of soft wear and often times if you ask some one for a trick or tip to do something you will get different replies because usually there are many different ways to get the same results it just depends on your knowledge and style.

Hax0redCardz I was looking it to this for you for the past few days but the only one I have found was the gimp I personally have never used it so I don’t know how effective it is. Would also say paintshop pro if you want some thing lower end but if you want the best go with Photoshop and as you’re a student ask if you can get a student copy from your school often it’s a lot cheaper.

svцsh
 Poggle
04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Well you guys both do pretty damn good reskins so ill fire up photoshop again and see where it gets me cheers :)
 Prime
04-13-2004, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by BigJabba
when i write a texture from the KOTOR tool and open the tga in paintshop it is about half the size it should be and i cant seem to get round it? Just to clarify, there are 3 versions of all the skins IIRC. Are you sure you are using the highest resolution ones?

Just making sure that's not the issue...
 Hax0redCardz
04-15-2004, 4:35 AM
Ok, I finally broke down and picked up Paint Shop Pro, but now I'm having a bit of trouble locating and extracting the Star Forge Robe Texture.

I have KotOR Tool, but I can't figure out which file corresponds to the SF Robe, and on top of that, I haven't been able to convert the the test textures I've tried to extract from .tpc's to .tga's :(

I downloaded tpc2tga but when I run it all that happens is an MSDOS window flashes on screen and immediately closes. Help! :(
 juv3nal
04-15-2004, 8:47 AM
kotor tool can extract straight to tga...if you have a search there's a post somewhere on here somewhere that explains how.
 Jackel
04-15-2004, 10:38 AM
chuck the tpc2tga prog in to your kotor tool folder , go to options in kotor (under tools) tick always convert tpc to tga , click ok

then double click on a tex file and hit write file , save where ever you want

thats all it takes really , though sometimes for no reasont he texture may save upside down .. or that could just be on my comp
 Poggle
04-15-2004, 3:02 PM
Just to clarify, there are 3 versions of all the skins IIRC. Are you sure you are using the highest resolution ones?

As it turned out that was the problem now im actually starting to like PSP cheers guys saved me a fortune on photoshop ;)
Page: 1 of 1