Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gromas System.

Page: 1 of 1
 michael_collins
04-07-2004, 6:49 PM
Just with regards to this level (having only just played through it on the original) ive noticed about three things which may help the team (if they can be done).

1) Is it possible to apply a shader to an entire level? Im asking this because ive noticed that the E-11, the stormies, the probe droids, and basically every other enemy and weapon outside the complex has a shader applied (im sure it was called something differnet in the mid ninties). They all look reddish brown. If this can be done outside and have the inside without the shader itd be amazing.

2) Its a factory, well, an immense forge if you will, so the addition of Imperial workers and perhaps a hazardtrooper or two would be really good as well as seeming only logical, the only drawback here is that the hazardtroopers only carry conc. rifles and thats gonna be a problem. If you can arm them elseways then itd be ideal. ESP. in the mine shafts.

3) Outside, sandtroopers would improve the general look (if hap is gonna push to have em included, if not dont worry bout it). The reason for this is cos it looks like a real dirty, dusty planetoid and that kind of trooper in that position would appeal to realism.

Again if you dont wanna do this disregard/lock topic etc, im just enjoying playing back through the old game and wondering how it can be improved. I dont wanna give anybody a headache.

Keep up the work im really excited and I cant wait for the demo.
 Darth_Linux
04-08-2004, 5:17 AM
good ideas Michael - thanks
 Ackehallgren
04-08-2004, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
3) Outside, sandtroopers would improve the general look (if hap is gonna push to have em included, if not dont worry bout it). The reason for this is cos it looks like a real dirty, dusty planetoid and that kind of trooper in that position would appeal to realism.

Maybe with a differentcolored shoulder pad? red?
 michael_collins
04-08-2004, 4:07 PM
Cheers darth. And red would be good but anything looking sorta covered in that kinda dirt would be ideal.
 Suprosa
04-11-2004, 8:01 PM
maybe a seperate stormy skin for inside the mines thats really dirty and grimy would be a nice touch...and dirty workers hehe

on another thought that relates to this, will the dark trooper in the end of the level be dirtied also?
 I.M.H.D.
04-12-2004, 2:46 PM
Actually, having done a little DF editing, the way the cool "red haze" effect was accomplished in the first game was not through a shader as such, but rather through a simple different palette. The original DF had different palettes for each level, and if you edit them you'll notice that the one for the Gromas Mines consists almost entirely of shades of red. So it's a rather clever technique that I'm almost certain wouldn't work for JA, alas, alas.
 The_One
04-12-2004, 3:02 PM
Shaders are the answer ;) I'm always impressed by what can be achieved just by using a few shaders - clever stuff!
 CortoCG
05-07-2004, 9:54 AM
I have and idea to improve immersion for the Gromas level. What if we throw some red dirt all over the keyboard, mouse and moitor, lol.
Anyhow, the sandtrooper or a dirty dark trooper idea is a great idea. It would add some variation to a common flaw, where stormtroopers on an icy planet are the same than troopers on a forest planet, or a sand planet.
Btw, shaders rule, without them, computer graphics will still look like the first quake models.
Page: 1 of 1