Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need help from experts with photoshop.

Page: 1 of 1
 T7nowhere
04-01-2004, 11:04 AM
I want to change the skin tone of some body skins.

I have noticed looking at the normal underware skins that the asian and black skins are based on the white skin and all that was done was to paint over the original with the other two skin tones.

My question is how do I do this ?

I thought the best way would be to make a new layer and just paint over the parts that I want to recolo rthen turn the opacity down.

Another thing I tryed that also worked was to select(this proves difficult to do with some textures) just the parts I want recolored and either desaterate then use Color Balance or Hue/Saturation. I know I answered my own question as I was typing this post, but I was just wondering what are some other little tricks the you guys use.
 Darth_Grandpa
04-01-2004, 8:15 PM
I managed to get my PhotoShop CD and installed on my pc this week. Spent a couple hours of free time playing with some reskins.

I was tring to convert one of the black player characters as a basis for a new skin, but wanted to change it to a light skin/white character. I only managed to get a nauseating color of off-yellow by the time I was done.

It's been a while since I worked with PS, but give me a few more hours playing with it and I might remember something.

Thankfully, PS doesn't mad the Alphas as PaintShop Pro 8.0 seemd to do. I have been madding and testing with some success.
 juv3nal
04-02-2004, 1:37 AM
i duplicate the layer then image->adjust hue/saturation->colorize.
mask out the bits i don't want recolored.
kind of a select the inverse approach.
 amote
04-04-2004, 12:00 AM
If you have say a skin that you want to recolor with Pshop. Begin by utilizing the "Path Tool" or for you Pshop newbies utilize the selection brush "freehand mod" to be able to draw a selection. Second thought use the "Freehand Selection Tool" then trace the outline of the body part you want to color edit.

Once you have traced back to your beginning point release your mouse button to close the selection.

Go to the Selection Menu and choose [depending on which body part] to feather the selection 2-3 pixels. [this will give it a softer edge]

Then choose [while still selected] Layer New Via Copy. This will create a new layer copied from your selection with your soft edge.

In your Layers Toolbar click or activate [select] the layer you just made. Then desaturate that layer with a modification layer. ie Hue & Saturation. Then turn saturation all of the way down.

Hold down the CTRL key and click on your original feathered layer with your left mouse button. This will activate a selection with the exact feather properties.

Then choose to do a new layer via Adjustment layers and do a hue & saturation. Choose colorize from the menu and move the slider to suit your skin color tastes.

IF SOMEONE CAN EMAIL ME A COPY OF THAT PDF THAT EXPLAINS HOW TO MAKE A LIGHTSABER AND PUT IT IN GAME I'LL GIVE YA DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS. I've wanted to make my own for awhile now. Let me know tegilliam@hotmail.com
 juv3nal
04-04-2004, 9:25 AM
Originally posted by amote
If you have say a skin that you want to recolor with Pshop. Begin by utilizing the "Path Tool" or for you Pshop newbies utilize the selection brush "freehand mod" to be able to draw a selection. Second thought use the "Freehand Selection Tool" then trace the outline of the body part you want to color edit.

actually, creating a masking layer is a lot more forgiving for newbies than either the freehand selection tool or the path tool. you get the advantage of multiple undos, you can vary the degree of feathering and you can go back and change your selection afterwards.
 svцsh
04-04-2004, 8:34 PM
Duplicate the layer (ctrl + j )

Go to >Image drop down choose >adjustments

>Replace Colour

Simply click the eyedropper on the colour of your original image
( Your actual work area ).

Now with the fuzziness slider adjust so all the colour you want is white in the Replace Colour window

Simply move the hue slider as desired.

Saturation adjust the amount of colour saturation from gray to day glow

and lightness will adjust the amount of black or white in the colour

Use the preview check box to see a before and after effect.

It will help to adjust the fuzziness slider after playing with the hue to fine tune you colour.
 T7nowhere
04-06-2004, 6:29 AM
WOW! that is extremely easy :)

Thanx svцsh.
 Darth_Grandpa
04-06-2004, 3:11 PM
Excellent help, all!

Appreciate the time you all took to put these hints and help in "print" for we amatures.

OK, another question regarding skinning and Pshop.

Short of building my own, or paying an arm and a leg for a package online, where can I get filters and such, preferably freebies?

Why?
I need a fishnet overlay for a skin I'm working on. I have the prelim done, and would like to add fishnet to finalize it. In case you were mulling over why I would need fishnet, I will confirm your speculation by saying "Yes. Yes I am." We have a nude skin here and there, but not-quite-nude is preferable to my tastes. (And yes, I'm a grown up and entitled to look at people in frilly underthings if I want.) I have a tutorial on how to create said texture/filter/plugin, but if it already exists...and is free...I'm all for it.

ps: Anyone know of a decent free web host where I could post my "creations" and relevant screenshots? I had my own web site but dropped it a few months ago because I wasn't doing enough with it to justify the cost of upkeep. Please, don't recommend geocities or tripod or their ilk. Or if someone is planning or has a host site and is willing to host a few of my files...
 juv3nal
04-07-2004, 9:10 AM
I know you said you already have a tutorial, but really, fishnet is easy to do, no filter required.

just make a tiny image, make the background transparent and draw an x with the pencil tool.
select everything and define as pattern.
you can then fill whatever you selection need in the image you're actually working on with said pattern.

might have to adjust the size to get what you want, but the general idea is pretty simple...
 svцsh
04-07-2004, 7:10 PM
Doing what juv3nal said will get you the results that you want.

Just a little trick :) is to hold shift while drawing a 45є angle to ensure it stays straight because the default snap angles in Photoshop are 45є , and 90 є

:D any ways I hope this helps.
 Darth_Grandpa
04-07-2004, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try when I get home.
Page: 1 of 1