Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

-=Custom textures=-

Page: 1 of 1
 DeathWhitch
03-27-2004, 4:43 PM
hey i am using Radiant to make a map for JA and I am having a problem geting my custom textures to work. i added the textures to the assets pk3 file that has the textures folder in it and i can select and see my textures in radiant but when i enter the game I get nothing but blank walls (looks the VR missions from MGS) anyway can someone tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks
DeathWhitch }Jedi Council{ Clan Leader

}JC{ is recruiting please see roomname

.....}JC{-=DeathRoom=-
 LordP
03-27-2004, 6:34 PM
Your Custom textures will not show up in the game unless you put them into a pk3 file. Don't put them in the assets file. First you have to put them in a folder under base/textures/mapname/texture.jpg. I assume this is what you did and you can see them in radiant. However if you want to see them in the game you have to put your map file and the textures into its own pk3 file. For a tutorial on how to do this check out this link.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn7.html)
 WadeV1589
03-27-2004, 9:55 PM
OR for testing purposes just type sv_pure 0 in JA before loading your map and it will check the folders in base.

Also (again I say this...) they must be standard encoded (NOT progressive) and the dimensions of the images must be powers of 2, a 256x256 image is valid, a 256zx512 image is valid but a 257x512 image is not valid.
 Jedi_Vogel
03-29-2004, 6:59 AM
I didn't set the pure setting, nor PK3'd them, just shoved my png's in

gamedata/base/textures/mymap

and then reloaded Radiant and there they were in the textures menu. They show in radiant and in game. Maybe they'll be more awkward when I test in MP, we shall have to see.
 WadeV1589
03-29-2004, 10:31 AM
MP requires sv_pure 0 or PK3's. It's to do with cheating online.
 Jedi_Vogel
03-29-2004, 2:10 PM
I know this is marginally offtopic now, but how could a custom texture be used for cheating?

Not that I wanna apply it ( as I've only played online once so far ) just out of idle curiosity.
 WadeV1589
03-29-2004, 3:27 PM
What I mean is if you allow unpure clients they could for example load a custom .bsp file slightly altered to allow them to move to places where they shouldn't be able to go; they could modify NPC's to make them easier to kill for them on their PC and so on.

So while textures can't exactly allow you to cheat (shaders could make walls transparent allowing you to see round corners however) there are ways to cheat if pure server is off.

Setting sv_pure lets your PC check for stuff outside of PK3's, of course if you connect to a pure server sv_pure will just be set back to 1 again.
 Jedi_Vogel
03-29-2004, 3:37 PM
ok, lol, now I understand your real point. Thanks :)
 DeathWhitch
04-03-2004, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the site and the help I will try this and tell yoiu how it goes. If I run into any trouble I will come back here to bag and plea on my hands and knees for future assitance for the wise ppl at the lucasforums ^_^

}JC{ Clan Leader
Deathwhitch
Page: 1 of 1