Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A noob who has been treated appallingly

Page: 1 of 1
 Codja X
03-15-2004, 9:46 PM
http://66.90.64.18/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122636)

I'm fairly new here myself and having read through that entire thread, no-one once attempted to answer his question. Instead, it seems that everyone has resorted to bickering and arguing amongst themselves.

It was blatantly obvious that he was having problems with Jedi Outcast and was wondering how to blow up the main doors into the base.

If the people who had responded in that post had used a bit of common sense and asked the question: "what star wars games do I know that require you get through a door on the 1st level?" then all this silliness could have been avoided and a potential, valuable addition to our community would not have been scared away.

Shame on the lot of you:)
 Boba Rhett
03-15-2004, 9:52 PM
How many Star Wars games do you know of that don't require you to get through a door on the first level?
 Codja X
03-15-2004, 10:00 PM
A locked one?

This is what I mean - instead of having 25 posts full of spam and nonsense, we could have had 25 or so solutions telling Giovani of how to proceed and get passed this door he was having problems with. I know he didn't give any information that could possibly be used to formulate a solution, but a good start would be to look at these boards.

Assuming single player, we have KOTOR, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. I know the 1st level of JA is set outside and there are no locked doors in the 1st level of KOTOR either, and I know for a fact you have to use a panel to switch on lasers to blast through the doors on the 1st level of Jedi Outcast.

I may have been wrong - probably am, but Giovani would have come back to us saying that didn't help and we could have proceeded from there.

This isn't an attack on anyone, some people tried to help, but the tone was lowered fairly quickly. The least someone could have done is point him to gamefaqs or something so he can find his own information.

Sorry, rant over...
 Boba Rhett
03-15-2004, 10:10 PM
It could have been one of any number of games. Heck maybe not even a Star Wars game. :D He was asked what game he was refering to multiple times and he never replied. Eventually, because of the nonsense posting, the thread was closed. I don't see what else could have been done to help him outside of giving him a walkthrough to every possible game it could have been.
 Codja X
03-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah, you're right, but someone should have pointed him in the right direction or at least made some relevant posts. Can you imagine poor little Giovani - his 1st post - very nerve wracking, swallowing his pride and asking for help on THE FIRST LEVEL of a game. he logs back on later and sees all these replies and thinks "Hoorah, I can now get passed this door" only to find he's started a nonsense thread where everyone is talking sh*te. Poor bugger.

There's this whole "ask a stupid question get a stupid answer" attitude about when it could have been a simple case of wrong forum, here's a link, close thread, goodbye.

It just seems to be a growing trend on the internet where groups of people form little cliques and if you say and do the wrong thing, you immediately have 25 replies telling you what a moron noob or whatever you are.

Maybe it's just i'm jealous that someone who posted in the wrong forum by mistake has more replies than me. Swine!
 Lynk Former
03-16-2004, 1:42 AM
Are you from some sort of "equality for all internet users" group or something?
 JediNyt
03-16-2004, 2:35 AM
Give him a break guys. He has a good point. New people are often treated poorley by the l33t crowd simply because they are new. I dont want to say that the good people of Lucas Forums are those kind of people. Whats wrong with treating people on the internet equally? Its been long here since I was a noob and I have no desire to treat noobs like n00bs.

PS just incase someone decides to be offended by this post, I have no intention of being offensive.
 Lynk Former
03-16-2004, 4:11 AM
People hate it when mods keep bitching about spam and all that crap, I try to keep a loose environment here, i'm not gonna go all strict on everyone. That thread was closed after a certain amount of time because; a) the person who asked the question never came back and b) no one was coming up with a solution.

The main point is you can't be disrespectful to someone who only posted once and never came back, we don't even know he/she/it ever came back to check up on that thread, the most likely thing that happened was that the guy figured it out just after he posted that and didn't need our help.
 leXX
03-16-2004, 11:31 AM
I did try to help the guy...

No, I think we should wait and see if he returns so we can help him.

...but he didn't return to be more specific, so what can you do? If he had named the game, there would have been plenty of help for him. I suggest you browse the rest of the forums here, and then you will see that we offer help to people at every turn.

You also say it is common sense to know that he was reffering to Jedi Outcast. Sorry, but what rubbish. Do you have any idea how many Star Wars games he could have been describing? Common sense would be to name the game you want help with in the first place.

The thread turned into pointless spam. 20 days had passed, and he didn't return to answer our questions. There was no choice other than to lock it.
 STTCT
03-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Common sence went out the door when he posted that in the Star Wars Episodes 1 and 2 thread. If he read the forum titles..he/she could have easily guided himself to the proper game he needed help with.

"In the Video Game"

What Video Game????

Sorry but that post was pretty....

Empty.

If he really needed the help - why did he stop at the first forum he saw, posted a general topic etc?

You may be defending someone who just intentionally came to spam here - who knows.

If you've been here awhile - you would have done the same thing. Those types of posts are common and usually are linked with some kind of troll. I'm sure if he did come back to the thread to specify more help - all of us would have jumped at the chance to help him/her.
 Sivy
03-16-2004, 12:10 PM
i don't believe he was treated unfairly because he was new, or a noob as you called him. if anyone, no matter how long they've been here, had posted such a vague question they would have gotten the same replies.

"what game are you talking about?"

and seeing how the original thread was posted in the TPM forum before it was moved to the cantina only added to the confusion of what game he meant.

kudos to you if you worked out he was talking about JO.
but me, like the rest who replied, didn't see it as 'blatantly obvious' as you did.
maybe if we've had taken the time to work it out then we might of. but ordinarily people would state which game or even post thier question in the right forum in the first place so we don't have to.
 STTCT
03-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Well, I'm going to take this time to apologize to our dear forumer Giovani.

We are sorry Giovani if we made fun, we meant it in good fun.

*crickets in background*

giovani?

*crickets*

Giovaaaaaniiiii

*not even crickets*

Well okay - then -

*goes back to finding Spoiler Episode III Pictures
 Codja X
03-16-2004, 2:31 PM
"It was blatantly obvious that he was having problems with Jedi Outcast and was wondering how to blow up the main doors into the base."

That was a bit of humour there.

I started this thread to see what sort of reaction it would provoke - i'm not having a pop at any of you guys - all the people who have replied in this thread generally did try to help.

All i'm trying to say is that someone could have cut his pain short and said "WRONG FORUM, GO LOOK ON CHEATS.COM" or whatever - you shouldn't waste your energy coming up with a witty or sarcastic reply.

It's obvious he didn't have a clue - we should have given him one. How hard would it have been to point him in the right direction?

Fair enough if someone new comes and is abusive - rip them to shreds - but a simple, honest, if mistaken question should have a simple answer.

Just chill out - save your best put downs for the people who deserve them;) (and if you think I deserve them, then fair enough)
 Lynk Former
03-16-2004, 3:27 PM
From the immortal words of Rogue Nine.

You suck
 leXX
03-16-2004, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Codja X
All i'm trying to say is that someone could have cut his pain short and said "WRONG FORUM, GO LOOK ON CHEATS.COM" or whatever

Thing is, he came here for help, and we were more than willing to help him. Had he come back and posted the name of the game, we would have either posted the answer, or then directed him to the right forum or site where he would recieve help. Note, he didn't return.
Page: 1 of 1