Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Installation Problems

Page: 1 of 1
 browns1973
03-13-2004, 10:05 AM
I am trying to get Grim Fandango to Install under Windowns XP but cant get past the Installation Screen. Grim.exe works but when i click on install game, the pointer turns to a waiting one and then the program closes down.

Any one else experienced this? Is so how did you get round it?
 audio
04-26-2004, 2:59 PM
I also have this problem. I've looked through all the other XP threads here (yes, including the sticky ;) ) but nothing seems to work with this issue.

In addition to what browns1973 said, I also get an error message indicating that I don't have enough memory to install the game (which is horribly untrue).

I've set all files on the CD to be read as "Windows 95" but that does not help.

Did/does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how did you get past it? Or did you at all?
 audio
04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
An hour on the phone with LucasArts did not resolve the issue, nor did an email to them. I cannot copy the game to my harddisk. There has to be something for us to do! :)
 Tall Guy
05-08-2004, 1:12 PM
this could be a directx issue. you'll need to downgrade to something like 6.x
 audio
05-13-2004, 4:35 PM
My understanding is that I can't downgrade that low with WinXP.

After trying it on two other computers (including my old one on which it had worked just fine in the past) and failing at every turn I think the issue is with the disc itself. Perhaps that is the answer for anyone who has trouble installing the game?!?

It's odd.... they're not scratched. Don't know what could have happened!
 Tall Guy
05-16-2004, 11:54 AM
yes, sorry you're right, you cant get that low with an xp based machine. i doubt you'll get it working, you might consider instaling win98 and duel booting or somthing, alternativly just play it on a win98 machine.
 audio
05-18-2004, 11:20 AM
That's what I've attempted to do. No dice. Though they're not scratched up, I guess they got ruined in some way or another. Bizarre.

Oh well... thanks to all for all the input.
 Tall Guy
05-28-2004, 12:59 PM
so it didnt run in win98? thats odd.

although if you are running it in win98 you should read the faq and make sure that you've done everything on the list.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29995)

you're problems may be solved using this.
Page: 1 of 1