Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What exactly is a mod?

Page: 1 of 1
 xirr2000
03-11-2004, 9:15 PM
Is a mod for JKA simply a map that can be used on multiplayer mode or is it an actual playable game level that can be used solo? I'm curious if there are modules available like NeverWinter Nights for JKA?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am curious.
 AIVAS
03-11-2004, 9:30 PM
Mods are many things, in JKAs case, mods are usually changes to gameplay, usually in multiplayer, and there are skins, models and maps, which are cosidered on their own, rather than grouping it into the mod category, and yes, I suppose there are some campaign changes for JK2, but there's only one or two unfinished ones available at lucasiles for jk3.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-12-2004, 12:32 AM
That's not a silly question, that's actually a very good question!

I have two definitions for a mod (short for modification), a loose, general one and a strict one. The loose, general one is anything that modifies gameplay by replacing or overriding files that originally came with the game. These would include mods that replace sounds, hilts, or skins that originally came with the game. I would not include maps or skins that add but don't replace game files. So a mod that replaced the protocol droid voice in CTF with Mon Mothma's voice, or a skin that replaced the default Luke skin with something else, or improved map bot routes would be a mod, but an additional map or skin that you could choose to use or not and that didn't replace and original game file would not be a mod. These "mod" files go in the base directory.

The strict definition of a mod means that the command line must be changed with the command "+set fs_game <modname>". The mod files are kept in a separate directory in the GameData directory, separate from the base directory. This would include server-side mods like xMod2, JA Reloaded, JA+ mod, and Disruption, and client-server mods like Asteroids and the OJP mod. There are also single-player mods that can be launched that way or from the Mods menu in the single-player Main menu, such as Melee mod.

A mod can radically alter a game so it's like a totally different game. The Troopers: Dawn of Destiny Mod converts Unreal Tournament 2003 to the Star Wars universe. The Colosseum Mod (http://www.pcgamemods.com/1945) for Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast converts JK2 into a Roman gladiator game (highly recommended if you have JK2).
 Kurgan
03-14-2004, 1:22 AM
Yeah along the way people have come up with other terminology to classify types of "mods" (not all of them used consistently).

One of them is a "TC" (total conversion) which usually refers to something that changes the entire look of the game or the entire gameplay focus of the game to such a degree it's "almost" a brand new game.

Then there's a "partial conversion" that's less world-changing than a TC (to what degree depends on whom you ask).

Then for stuff like skins, maps, etc that are pretty standard people just call them skins or maps, etc.

Unreal Tournament had things called "mutators" that modified little bits of gameplay. This is what some people think of when they think of mods. A low gravity mod, a grappling hook mod, a jetpack mod, an exploding ammo mod. Stuff like that.

Then in this community there's the infamous 'admin mods' who typically give the admin a bunch of "powers" (often evil) which typically after they've done all that like to add other items like saber changing stuff and other "bonus" features.

So yeah, what Amidala said.
Page: 1 of 1