Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

This is a sad day for the NHL

Page: 1 of 1
 ET Warrior
03-09-2004, 5:30 AM
Tonight, in a 9-2 shelacking of the Colorado Avalanche over the Vancouver Canucks, Todd Bertuzzi took his revenge on Steve Moore in an absolutely uncalled for fashion.

The history...earlier in the year, Moore went in for a hit on Marcus Naslund of the Canucks. The hit was clean but rough, and Naslund suffered a concussion, and Vancouver made it known that there was a 'bounty' on Moore's head.

Well the bounty has been called in. And Moore is in the hospital.

Bertuzzi came up from behind Moore late in the game, grabbed him from behind, pulled him to him, sucker punched him in the head, and the pile-drived his face into the ice. Moore was laying unconcious in a pool of his own blood in seconds. He was taken out on a stretcher.

This saddens me immensly. This is such a bad day in the NHL. What Bertuzzi did was wrong, and terrible, and I hope that he is kicked out of the NHL for his actions.
 BCanr2d2
03-09-2004, 5:52 AM
What???? A game of Ice Hockey broke out from a fight.....

C'mon, for one of the games best known for uncalled for contact, since when is a cheap shot out of order??
 ET Warrior
03-09-2004, 2:58 PM
This goes completely beyond cheap shots. The announcers even said that they don't think they've EVER seen anything like that. And they live and breathe hockey. There is no room in hockey for something like that.
 the_raven_03
03-09-2004, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
What???? A game of Ice Hockey broke out from a fight.....

C'mon, for one of the games best known for uncalled for contact, since when is a cheap shot out of order??

This was a cheap shot on a player unsuspecting of what was about to happen to him and he had to be carried off on a stretcher. It was the worst thing I have ever seen happen to a player. I, myself, hope that Todd Bertuzzi is banned from the NHL for this despicable act.
 Kain
03-09-2004, 3:24 PM
are there any pictures or videos that you can post links to?
 Prime
03-09-2004, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by the_raven_03
I, myself, hope that Todd Bertuzzi is banned from the NHL for this despicable act. It sounds like he me be suspended for the rest of the regular season.
 --ZeeMan--
03-09-2004, 4:05 PM
yeah i'm sitting in my computer class with a friend of mine and we both live in colorado so we're feeling this a little bit more than anyone else. another point to mention is that in 2000 an incident happened similiar to this about some player swinging his stick and hitting a defenseless and unsuspecting player. result: assault charges

i wouldn't be too surprised if the same thing happens.
 ET Warrior
03-09-2004, 4:34 PM
Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=240308022) is a picture of Moore laying unconcious on the ice.

This (http://www.detnews.com/2000/sports/0002/22/02230006.htm) is what ZeeMan is talking about.

Marty McSorley of the Boston Bruins took an axe swing at Donald Brashears head.

I'd say Bertuzzi's act was as bad if not worse than was McSorley did. Both of those were acts of cowardice.

And I would say you aren't feeling this anymore than me. I've lived breathed and died Avalanche hockey since they moved here in 95-96. Same with Raven I know. And Feanaro.

I want Todd Bertuzzi out of the NHL.
 ET Warrior
03-09-2004, 4:42 PM
Moore has a fractured Vertebra (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1754963)

This is unbelievable. I HATE Todd Bertuzzi.
 the_raven_03
03-09-2004, 4:47 PM
I wish the league had set the hearing to decide how long of a suspension Bertuzzi will serve was today. But tomorrow morning I am gonna check and see exactly how long it is.

No player deserves what happened to Moore and I am appalled that someone would do it. I HATE the Canucks for the crap they pulled in the entire game and I especially cannot believe Bertuzzi would take it that far.
 Alegis
03-09-2004, 7:20 PM
"Todd Bertuzzi deserves to be suspended for 20 games for his attack on Steve Moore."

only 20? this is extremely ridiculous (not the punishment, but what this jackass http://msn.espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/1336.jpg) did)
everybody knows hockey is more than 'just a game' for these ppl, but not that far as some kind of maffiosi behaviour. damn coward of a bertuzzi
 the_raven_03
03-09-2004, 7:23 PM
poilce are investigating this (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1754963)

Hopefully, they won't let him off because he is a big athlete and they will investigate this as if it was a normal incident.
 RoxStar
03-09-2004, 7:35 PM
I don't like hockey so it doesn't really matter to me.
 Darth Homer
03-09-2004, 7:39 PM
 ZBomber
03-09-2004, 11:22 PM
:|

Thats all I have to say..... wanna know what else is sickening?

Coaches attacking the refs. That happens in CHILDREN'S hockey over here all the time.......
 Kain
03-09-2004, 11:50 PM
I watched that video and all I gotta say is DAMN.
 MennoniteHobbit
03-09-2004, 11:56 PM
I went to an NHL game once.... every time a small thing happened, the guys were at each other's throats. But I have NEVER seen this story before. Stupid Bertuzzi. How low can you get. Jeez.
 Andy867
03-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, before I say anything that will get myself banned (already been banned for 2 weeks from Yahoo! Message Boards discussion over this very topic) I will say that his act was that of a coward who is also a lousy excuse of a human being and should be put out of his misery. I feel that the ONLY punishment that will be appropriate is not only that of a permanent ban from the NHL, but a $150,000 fine from the NHL, $50,000 from the Canucks(Since they are responsible for their players' actions), plus criminal charges that will include $10M in damages and medical expenses and $20.5M in punitive damages (OUT OF POCKET for all this I might add) since there is a good chance that Moore will no longer be able to walk, more less play hockey, and at least 1-3 years in prison for assault and battery and intent to create bodily harm). And thats only the start of my idea for punishment
 Taos
03-10-2004, 3:52 AM
Originally posted by Kain
I watched that video and all I gotta say is DAMN.

I've seen plenty of fights in the NHL, but what I saw today on sportscenter was probably the lowest thing anyone could ever do. I hope the guy gets permanently banned from the league. What he did was hardly "professional."
 Feanaro
03-10-2004, 4:01 AM
I totally agree that Bertuzzi should be out at least for a whole year. Criminal charges will most likely happen. He totally new what he was doing, right from where he started to follow Moore. That proves premeditation. As a hockey player he should always be in control of himself. No matter the circumstances.
 Kain
03-10-2004, 5:33 PM
I'm not going to try to defend Bertuzzi, because what he did was wrong and pre-meditated. But maybe, since all the adreniline pumping, he didn't really run the consequences through his beady little head and just acted on the moment.

Still, Bertuzzi needs a straight ass kicking for that crap.
 ET Warrior
03-10-2004, 6:56 PM
I would agree with you there Kain, except that his attack was premeditated. They've been planning on doing something to Moore for WEEKS, ever since his (legal!) hit on Naslund that gave him a concussion.

And before the hit, Bertuzzi was following Moore around the ice, practically stalking him. Bertuzzi has disgraced his team by his actions.
 the_raven_03
03-10-2004, 7:38 PM
It all comes down to tomorrow morning when we find out how long of a suspension Bertuzzi will face. I myself hope it is at least for the rest of the year for the terrible act that he committed.
 Darth Groovy
03-10-2004, 8:00 PM
Getting nicked from the NHL would be too easy. I feel criminal charges would bring this incident to justice.:(
 the_raven_03
03-11-2004, 11:45 AM
The league's decision just came out. He will be suspended for the rest of the regular season as well as the playoffs this season. He must then reapply for reinstatement next season. The NHL also fined the Canucks $250,000.

Here is the article here. (http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/news/2004/03/206088.html)
 Sivy
03-11-2004, 11:57 AM
is there a video on the net of this yet?

edit: nevermind, i just found one... yeah, that wasn't very nice at all.
 ET Warrior
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I'd say. That is reasonably just.
 Feanaro
03-11-2004, 1:40 PM
Yeah i'd say its a good judgement, but i think if the Cunucks have an early exit in the playoffs, Bertuzzi won't start the next season for at least 10 games. If there is a season next year.
 the_raven_03
03-11-2004, 2:15 PM
I think the Canucks are done for this year. Bertuzzi was their number 2 scoring guy and they will miss his presence in front of the net, but that is the price that they must pay.
 RoxStar
03-11-2004, 7:54 PM
NHL is going down the drain.
 Andy867
03-11-2004, 8:23 PM
I still think my feelings on his punishment are required in order for a more just punishment to be considered appropriate.

Originally posted by yours truly, Andy867
I will say that his act was that of a coward who is also a lousy excuse of a human being and should be put out of his misery. I feel that the ONLY punishment that will be appropriate is not only that of a permanent ban from the NHL, but a $150,000 fine from the NHL, $50,000 from the Canucks(Since they are responsible for their players' actions), plus criminal charges that will include $10M in damages and medical expenses and $20.5M in punitive damages (OUT OF POCKET for all this I might add) since there is a good chance that Moore will no longer be able to walk, more less play hockey, and at least 1-3 years in prison for assault and battery and intent to create bodily harm). And thats only the start of my idea for punishment
 BCanr2d2
03-16-2004, 5:31 AM
And what would people be saying if he just got up off the ice without an injury?????

It's a contact sport, people will do stupid things like this. The players do wear padding, and that is not the case in all contact sports. I will make no comment about what happened since all I have seen is a very short piece of footage, and that can easily be taken out of context.

It's sport, get over with it. It's not like it was a bomb planted on a Spanish train.

Lets get a little bit of PERSPECTIVE
 Rad Blackrose
03-16-2004, 5:45 AM
Uh huh, after sacking the quarterback in american football, I would proceed to stand back about five yards, let the QB get back up slightly, then nail his ass again. Yeah, I would have done a stupid thing like that in my high-school footbal days.

By the way, I hope you noticed that statement was dripping with sarcasm.

I think it's you that needs the perspective adjustment. Especially since this was a.) premeditated and b.) potentially life-threatening.
 Andy867
03-16-2004, 6:14 AM
What should be noted in that particular game is that Moore had ALREADY been in a fight with a Vancouver player, so that there should have settled the score, but Bertuzzi, with his team having their asses handed to them 9-2 with 8:32 left, got onto the same shift as Moore and was constantly hounding him after moore repeatedly refused to fight him. And then thats when Bertuzzi grabbed him by the back of the jersey, sucker punched him in his blind spot, and then took him by the back of the head and drove him face first into the ice. This was obviously more than just your contact sport hit as noted by others. This was a premeditated and intent to INJURE hit. He knew that he was going to be hurt and he is only "sad" that he got suspended because of it. My feelings are that Bertuzzi should be banned from hockey because there is no telling that this will be the LAST time that he will devise a way to injure someone in a retalitory manner. He is a simple goon and is NOT welcome in the NHL and should be sent to jail for aggravated assault and use of deadly force.
 BCanr2d2
03-16-2004, 7:14 AM
To both of you

Go to Madrid and tell them all about Premeditation and Intent to Injure/Kill.

I think they will tell you to go jump.....

Sport, aggrevated assault and such petty matters are nothing in comparison to such acts as witnessed in Spain.

Contact sport is littered with fights, fisticuffs and stupid players who will take a cheap shot at another player. When a player in ice hockey puts another player into the glass, is his intent not to injure and premeditated? Is not an Aussie Rules player who hits a player in the head doing the same when making a tackle??
 Kain
03-16-2004, 7:47 AM
I watched that movie a few more times and it was a cheap shot, but the slamming of the face into the ice wasn't intentional. From the angle, it looks like it was, but he was actually pulling back for another hit and Moore fell foward. And that Avalance player falling on em probably didn't help the whole 'face-eat-ice' part.
 XERXES
03-16-2004, 2:51 PM
I am sick of hearing about this, every time the news, espn or anybody remotely talks about hockey they gotta bring this up, it was hot news last week but now its just old and busted news. The NHL is already in a hole and this isnt helping it get out of it.
 ET Warrior
03-16-2004, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
To both of you

Go to Madrid and tell them all about Premeditation and Intent to Injure/Kill.

I think they will tell you to go jump.....

Yeah, and if your best friend got jumped on the street by a bunch of thugs, i'll bet people in Madrid would tell YOU to go jump. Just because something worse happened doesn't mean that we suddenly should just ignore situations like this and just sigh and say.."Hm, well Spain is having a rougher time I guess"

I watched that movie a few more times and it was a cheap shot, but the slamming of the face into the ice wasn't intentional.
I've seen it about 20 or more times, and for a while I thought maybe the slamming of the head into ice wasn't intentional, but then I thought about it rationally.
Bertuzzi grabbed Moore's Jersey and pulled him backwards. Now Bertuzzi has 40 pounds on Moore, and he's a lot stronger, so Moore is suddenly getting his momentum shifted backwards. Then as soon as Bertuzzi hits Moore, he's unconcious. You can see it in his body and in his face. So Moore is not doing anything but letting gravity take over. Gravity would have dictated that Moore slump backwards or sideways, the way he was pulled/hit. But Bertuzzi put HIS momentum into Moore,and drove his head into the ice. That was not accidental.

And then after Moore was down you can see bertuzzi cock his hand back to throw another punch! Nikolishin diving in to stop Bertuzzi is the only thing that stopped him.
Page: 1 of 1