Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lord of the Rings

Page: 1 of 1
 Miko_lover
03-08-2004, 8:44 PM
Here we go, a topic about LotR for yee folks that like it as well. Just decided to start it. And if this already exsits, I'll just go find it if you lock this one up. Goodday.
 Glaive v.1
03-11-2004, 8:31 PM
so wat do you want to talk about LOTR den. shall talk bout the movies, the books, the general history of Middle Earth or the new upcoming middle earth MMORPG?

just wondering
 DarksideDjembe
03-12-2004, 5:41 PM
Theres gonna be a middle earth mmorpg? thats AWESOME, hopefully it doesnt suck like galaxies...
 Snafu7
03-12-2004, 9:13 PM
Yah, Middle Earth Online is coming out in 4th Quarter of 2004
 Glaive v.1
03-15-2004, 6:50 AM
i saw a vid trailer of it and it doesn't look that good really
 Snafu7
03-15-2004, 7:57 PM
I partially agree, but only some of the screens don't look that good, exp:i didn't like the wa that the orcs look, it doesn't seem very Lord of the Ringsish, but once i read the review for it it in gamepro, it kinda changed my mind about it, i'm looking forward to it, as well as the new Matrix online game.
 Glaive v.1
03-16-2004, 7:00 AM
yeh ilook forward to the Matrix online. has any one got ne pics. send me PM w/ them
 stevothorne
03-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I love DarthMaulUK he rocks.

*edited by the very good me.*

DMUK
 Snafu7
03-16-2004, 9:30 PM
Ill try and find some ss for you glaive
 Codja X
03-17-2004, 9:56 PM
What about that War of the Ring game that Westwood (sorry, EA) are bringing out? It looks like it uses the models from the ROTK beat em up but has 1000's of characters on screen.

How cool would it be if it used the AI created for the battle scenes in the films? (I think it was called MASSIVE or something)
 Taos
03-18-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm looking forward to the extended edition ROTK coming out on dvd. I plan on staying away from any and all mmo's after playing galaxies - which I really enjoyed, I just played it too damn much.
 Glaive v.1
03-18-2004, 6:26 AM
Originally posted by Codja X
What about that War of the Ring game that Westwood (sorry, EA) are bringing out? It looks like it uses the models from the ROTK beat em up but has 1000's of characters on screen.

How cool would it be if it used the AI created for the battle scenes in the films? (I think it was called MASSIVE or something)

yeh thats what its called. i went 2 the exhibtion at the science museum in London, england and it showed a test battle they did.

its was funny coz halfway thorugh the battle half the combatants just legged it away from the battle :D
 dark jedi 8
03-18-2004, 7:53 PM
i'm really anticipating the release of the 3-pack of the extended editions of LotR.:D
 Snafu7
03-20-2004, 1:31 AM
I thought that the war of the rings game didn't look that good, mostly because I thought the charecters looked a little too cartoonish.
 dark jedi 8
03-21-2004, 9:45 PM
Is peter jackson going to make "The Hobbit". i heard somewhere he might.:confused: :cool:
 Glaive v.1
03-22-2004, 6:44 AM
yeh he wants to but i think new line cinema own the rights to it but someone esle another part of it so they won't make it util they have sorted out. it could be some time.
 Codja X
03-22-2004, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by Glaive v.1
yeh thats what its called. i went 2 the exhibtion at the science museum in London, england and it showed a test battle they did.

London, england - quality:) That always cracks me up - how many other Londons are there?

But back to topic - I can't wait for the ROTK extended edition either - I managed to be strong and not buy the TTT theatrical edition - it's going to be another year of torture:)

I've heard the ROTK extended is going to be near 4 1/2 hours in length - the longer the better as i'm concerned.

At least we've got the Star Wars DVD's in September - I'll have to settle for those until ROTK Extended comes out :)
 Wanderer
03-22-2004, 8:35 PM
Well what I like in LotR is how people facing death there....they go against hordes of orcs knowing it can cost their lives but they believe in the greater good and so they fight....

To walk your way even if it can cost your live...that impresses me most.
 Codja X
03-22-2004, 8:55 PM
Originally posted by Wanderer
Well what I like in LotR is how people facing death there....they go against hordes of orcs knowing it can cost their lives but they believe in the greater good and so they fight....

To walk your way even if it can cost your live...that impresses me most.

Do they have a choice? If I was in their position i'd prefer to be somewhere else but if they don't stand and fight then Sauron would win and they'd all be found, captured and killed anyway.

I suppose the choice would be to go out fighting for what you believe in even though it might not make a difference in the end, or run away and take your chances.

They chose to fight because they'd rather die than live in a world of darkness. It turned out all right in the end though:)
 Wanderer
03-22-2004, 9:17 PM
Do they have a choice? If I was in their position i'd prefer to be somewhere else but if they don't stand and fight then Sauron would win and they'd all be found, captured and killed anyway.

I suppose the choice would be to go out fighting for what you believe in even though it might not make a difference in the end, or run away and take your chances.

They chose to fight because they'd rather die than live in a world of darkness. It turned out all right in the end though:)
Well...is it so easy to go forward and fight even if it seeeems you have no choice?
If it would be that easy....most diktators in the world wouldn't have a chance I guess....but forget about that.
I think your opinion of what I wrote is not so different from what I think....;)
 Codja X
03-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it does boil down to pretty much the same thing. I just like to look at things from as many points of view as I can.

"If it would be that easy....most diktators in the world wouldn't have a chance I guess...."

"I suppose the choice would be to go out fighting for what you believe in even though it might not make a difference in the end, or run away and take your chances."

I think most people prefer to bury their head in the sand and take their chances, hence the reason why there are so many dictorial regimes in the world. The choice is straightforward, but it's not an easy one. but anyway...

Back to LOTR, re-reading the preface of the FOTR it would seem that tolkien disliked allegory and comparison in any form and here we are, 60 years later, still applying it to modern situations.

It would seem that despite all our advances, we haven't changed that much at all:confused:
 Wanderer
03-23-2004, 6:01 PM
That's right Codja X...Tolkien disliked historical comparisons with his LotR very much...but I think it fits in many situations of life (excuse the bad english please)...
Book and Film are two different ways...but both brilliant in their ways...
The scene from FotR where Aragorn faced (nearly the end of the movie) dozens of Uruk'hais (don't know how to write it properly)...that was a special moment for me...remember the uruks came the path up...Aragorn drew his sword and greeted (in the way...ok I'm ready...) and faced them... it's undescribeable...

you see...I'm not only enthusiastic about this (geeee...what a hero!!!!) No, I learned this feeling to know for many situations in my life...no matter what...I will go on :-)
 Codja X
03-23-2004, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by Wanderer
remember the uruks came the path up...Aragorn drew his sword and greeted (in the way...ok I'm ready...) and faced them... it's undescribeable...

Yeah, that was a pretty special scene - the look in his eyes as he walked towards the Uruk - Hai's - that's a look of a man with a purpose, a single goal. His goal being to protect Frodo and ensure the ring stays on its path - that's where Boromir failed.

Aragorn knew the ring had to be destroyed and so was somewhat immune to it's power, whereas Boromir's goal was get the ring for Gondor - a quest the ring's power exploited, finally driving Boromir mad, as power does in those who are irresponsible.
 narfblat
03-27-2004, 4:14 AM
I find it amazing that a 3+ hour movie can be so entertaining, even the extended editions. ROTK deserved its oscars.
 Curt-Man
04-26-2004, 1:00 AM
ROTK is the coolest movie, when the lich king implodes, it's so cool,the climactic battle scene rocked
 Deeo
04-26-2004, 5:15 AM
So, just to clarify... what's the Middle Earth Online version based on? The books or the movies?

War of the Rings RTS game is based on the books, correct? So that's why a lot of the characters and models look different than those in the movies?
 Codja X
04-29-2004, 8:35 AM
As far as i'm aware, the RTS is based on the film and the RPG is based on the books
 Sabretooth
05-19-2004, 9:58 AM
I've just dived into the LOTR universe and decided to go by the way of books rather than games or movies. I'm currently at the "The Great River" chapter in FOTR. BTW, anyone of you know a link o site containing tons of info on Middle-Earth, it's Histroy and cultures?
 Glaive v.1
05-20-2004, 3:17 AM
Well sabre tooth heres a pretty good Lord of the rings site, has info on history and stuff that you may enjoy

clicky (http://www.lordotrings.com/)
 coupes.
05-20-2004, 2:22 PM
well here's the best site that I know of, it's pretty complete.

Encyclopedia of Arda (http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/)

It has info on every character in the books, every location even the weapons and such. It also has a very extensive guide to the differences between the movies and the books if you are interested.

Oh and sabretooth, whaen you're done with the books, I suggest you read 'The Silmarillon', it's really interesting and quite fast to read (after you just read LORT !).
 Snafu7
05-20-2004, 4:27 PM
I started reading the Silmarilian, but I found it encredibly confusing, nothing really floowed a straight path, it just jumped from story to story, or is it just me?
 coupes.
05-21-2004, 9:16 PM
I know what you mean, but the best thing to do is to keep reffering to the glossary at the end whenever you don't remember a name. I thought this book was very interseting because you understand lots of stuff talked about in the LOTR trilogy.

However the part that is the most related to LOTR, is the one about Numenтr, and you really shouldn't skip this part (well you really shouldn't skip any part. :p )
 Sabretooth
05-22-2004, 3:49 AM
Thanks a lot, that's just the site I needed. (Arda)
 Samuel Dravis
05-22-2004, 10:08 AM

How cool would it be if it used the AI created for the battle scenes in the films? (I think it was called MASSIVE or something) What would be really nice is if someone made a LOTR TC for Rome: Total War. You could actually show a lot of troops on the screen (10000 +).

RTW site (http://www.totalwar.com/community/rome.htm)

RTW E3 Trailer (ftp://e32004:x@hardwired.hu/rometw_tr59_qt.zip)
A Bunch of other E3 movies (ftp://e32004:x@hardwired.hu/)
 coupes.
05-22-2004, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by sabretooth
Thanks a lot, that's just the site I needed. (Arda)
I aim to please... :D
 Snafu7
05-22-2004, 4:23 PM
As anyone read the Lost Tales of JRR Tolkien? I'm thinking about it, but i don't know If I will, don't want to waste my time if its too confusing. :)
 Samuel Dravis
05-22-2004, 5:08 PM
The Lost Tales are not as well integrated as the Silmarillion (they're just thoughts and partial stories jotted down by JRR), but still fun to read. You should try it.
 Glaive v.1
05-25-2004, 3:17 AM
I got two of them and im just starting to read the first one. From what i've read so far they are quite good.
Page: 1 of 1