Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

popup blockers?

Page: 1 of 1
 Sivy
03-08-2004, 7:10 AM
i was using the google toolbar which used to block popups, but for some strange reason it no longer works. i've tried re-installing it but it still doesn't work, so i need a new one.

so what do you use?
 leXX
03-08-2004, 8:04 AM
??

It still works for me. The occasional 1 in every 100 or so get by, but that's about it. You sure you haven't clicked the button to allow pop-ups on this site?
 Sivy
03-08-2004, 8:52 AM
yeah, i'm sure.
it was working fine, then i keep getting a few. now it only blocks about 1 in 10.
 txa1265
03-08-2004, 9:04 AM
Originally posted by Siv
yeah, i'm sure.
it was working fine, then i keep getting a few. now it only blocks about 1 in 10. I'm on my Mac right now so I can't check - but is there some setting that either the Google Toolbar or IE has regarding 'allowed sites'? Or maybe you need to run a spyware remover if it has popped in some cookies that allow bypassing the blocker ...

Mike
 StarWarsPhreak
03-08-2004, 9:18 AM
Panicware Pop-up stopper. Works like charm. Although, mine is an outdated version, but I like it much better than the new "toolbar" versions.
 edlib
03-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Get ready to start seeing more... there are now some popup and popunder ads that can avoid the filters in most of the blockers. There will soon be many, many more. It's bound to get a lot worse before it gets better...

If you don't have the latest version of the ad-filtering software you are using be sure to download any updates available,.. it might help.
 Sivy
03-08-2004, 10:13 AM
so they have found a way around them... bastards! damn them!! damn them all to hell!!!!

or something less dramatic
 Astrotoy7
03-08-2004, 10:39 AM
i use this old program called pop up killer(there seem to be many programs with this name tho'), but anyway, this is v1.43 and it is great. I hate the programs that try to anticipate things that might be popups, I prefer to deal with them personally as they come up. Puk allows for that !

*astro is in no way paid or sponsored by the authors of PuK!*

MTFBWYA
 •-BLaCKouT-•
03-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I use Mozilla as my browser cos it's got a built-in pop-up blocker. Again, you can 'allow' certain sites (as some require pop-ups to in order to work), but apart from the occasional one, I don't get any.

I was going to install the Google one, but it came with so much crap attached I decided not to bother.

B.
 leXX
03-08-2004, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
I was going to install the Google one, but it came with so much crap attached I decided not to bother.

What crap attached? You can configure what you want on it in the options, so what's the problem? The google toolbar is great.
 DarkLord60
03-08-2004, 1:38 PM
Siv are you running spyware removal programs?
 StarWarsPhreak
03-08-2004, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by Siv
so they have found a way around them... bastards! damn them!! damn them all to hell!!!!

Yeah, they use Javascript and whatnot. It's really annoying, especially when they have errors and my browser goes crazy.
 Alegis
03-08-2004, 2:34 PM
I use freeserver MK 2, very good one

http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm)
 MennoniteHobbit
03-08-2004, 7:54 PM
I use Mozilla too! whoopeee!

I have Norton Personal Firewall. Built-in ad blocker and banner blocker.

btw, it's not that hard to use JavaScript to make popups. I could if i wanted to, but im not stupid. :p
 Jedi_Vogel
03-09-2004, 6:45 AM
Pop-up ads are JavaScript activated :p
I'm a proponent of Norton Personal Firewall (got it cheap about a year ago on special promotion!). No probs with pop-ups and when I had one, you just look at the code of the site (as most sites are dumb and don't hide their JS in a library) and see what the URL is, and add it to the firewall rules.

Also, a popup ad is just a window, so you can also manually block the URL. To see it (in IE and I think Opera as well), hold Alt and press N and it will open the ad in a whole, maximised window, allowing you full access to the ad URL allowing you to block it on any terms you wish.

Browsing the net in an ad-free environment is a great reward for paying a small fee every once in a while, in my humble opinon. And I'm a student on very limited means :)
 BawBag™
03-09-2004, 6:51 AM
I use Google toolbar too, the only pop-ups that seem to evade the blocker are ones that say "Save" on them. And they're dead irksome.

Dunno Siv, I'm currently at 640 blocked ads, does the toolbar have a limit before having to be reset or sumfink?
 StarWarsPhreak
03-09-2004, 9:29 AM
I used to get those "Save" ads, especially at Amazon.com and my popup blocker wouldn't block them. then I found out there's a "Save" folder on my computer with "Save" crap. Check your computer to make sure there isn't a program that you didn't install.
 BCanr2d2
03-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Another Mozilla user here, so I don't have any popups either, haven't had them for such a long time, I forgot what they are like!
 BawBag™
03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
I used to get those "Save" ads, especially at Amazon.com and my popup blocker wouldn't block them. then I found out there's a "Save" folder on my computer with "Save" crap. Check your computer to make sure there isn't a program that you didn't install.
Ahhhh! Thanks StarWarsPhreak. :) Adios irksome ads. :D
 StarWarsPhreak
03-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel
Pop-up ads are JavaScript activated :p

I'm talking about actual Scripting that makes it so the ad loads on the current page. Not in a new window. Like those "You're the 183647837628 winner!" That scroll accross the screen.
 Jedi_Vogel
03-10-2004, 6:58 AM
Yeah you'll need a decent firewall/ad blocker to get rid of those that appear on the page. They are a bane to society - the kind that appear *over* the text annoyed me the most.

Alternatively, change the sites your visiting :)
Page: 1 of 1