Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grating on catwalks

Page: 1 of 1
 multiplayernewb
03-06-2004, 6:53 PM
The subject pretty much says it all. I wanna make a catwalk you can walk on and under, but make it out of grating so you can see up and down through it. What's the right way to do this? Do you put the grating shader on the top AND bottom of the catwalk brush, or can you put nodraw/caulk/whatever on one side? And do all stock grating shaders work the same? I've tried a bunch, and found they don't seem to. None of them, in fact, seem to work perfectly.

The biggest problem I have is when I look up at the bottom of the catwalk, and see the door I built at one end of it, the door sometimes disappears, leaving a kind of HOM effect behind. Are there some grating shaders that aren't made to be looked at from both sides like this? Which ones are? Any ideas?
 *Dark
03-06-2004, 6:58 PM
like with any transparent shader, you have to make the entire thing out of the shader. have you ever noticed when you have glass and only textured the front and back, you get the same hom effect. best thing would be to make the entire thing out of the shader
 GothiX
03-06-2004, 7:32 PM
Originally posted by *Dark
like with any transparent shader, you have to make the entire thing out of the shader. have you ever noticed when you have glass and only textured the front and back, you get the same hom effect. best thing would be to make the entire thing out of the shader
*bash bash bash bash* Silly *Dark, that's so wrong! Make the glass a detail brush and the HOM is gone!

As for your question, just make one brush, use caulk on the non-visible sides, and the grating shader where you want the grating to be. :)
 *Dark
03-07-2004, 8:28 AM
i have tried that, and it did not work for me
Page: 1 of 1