Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sam and Max 2 is Axed(hey, that rhymes)

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyrion
03-03-2004, 8:58 PM
Sam and Max 2, one of the lucasarts games, has been officially declared as cancelled.

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/85.html)

I was really looking towards this game when I saw the trailers for it, may it rest in peace. :(
 topshot
03-03-2004, 9:12 PM
They shall pay for this cancellation! :mad: Mini-me, fire the laser.

Seriously, that sucks that they sent it the dumpster. It sounded like a great game, too. :(
 The_One
03-03-2004, 9:18 PM
Cue hoards of ****ty Episode 3 games...
 Alia
03-03-2004, 9:30 PM
Usually, my English is better than this, but:

****ity **** **** ****!
 Jed
03-03-2004, 9:36 PM
All I can say is I'm deeply disappointed.
 txa1265
03-03-2004, 10:31 PM
OK, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here ...

I've been through a bunch of product reviews at my company lately, and too often there is nothing but head-nodding 'yes, yes, yes' going on. A couple of times I've needed to be mr. unpopular and say that the product is an unmarketable, no hope for profit piece of ... you know.

Maybe as they were doing a cost/benefit on the game - assuming they have some form of stage/gate or phase review process in place - they saw that they couldn't make a profit on their most optimistic marketing estimates.

And - no matter how cool or historic a game, and no matter how much we may want it - if that is true, they were right to axe it.

More likely what mixnmojo said is on target, and they just got gun-shy after a few crap titles tanked.

Mike
 RoxStar
03-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I never heard of that game before.
 Tyrion
03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
OK, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here ...

I've been through a bunch of product reviews at my company lately, and too often there is nothing but head-nodding 'yes, yes, yes' going on. A couple of times I've needed to be mr. unpopular and say that the product is an unmarketable, no hope for profit piece of ... you know.

I can't blame them for not releasing it, it would'nt make much money.

..but it still sucks. :/
 wassup
03-03-2004, 11:54 PM
First Full Throttle 2, now this. What is LA doing to its adventure gaming franchise!?
 Neverhoodian
03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Killing it off to make room for more Star Wars games, it seems.

I don't think it's a good idea. After all, when all possible Star Wars plots and gaming genres will be used up, what will Lucasarts fall back on for gaming material?
 Boba Rhett
03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Howard the Duck, of course.
 BongoBob
03-04-2004, 2:51 AM
Rhett, you're wrong...

I can see it now...

INTRODUCING LUCASARTS NEW GAME, Larry the Llamma and the 4 stars!

Introducing a new craptastic game to make room for 18 craptastic sequels and spin offs!
What, you thought that we're joking?

Oh and by the way, any good game Lucasarts had ben previously planning sequels to have been axed...

DON'T SHOOT ME!

:rolleyes:
 jokemaster
03-04-2004, 10:13 AM
OH COME ON LA, CAN'T YOU TAKE A RISK FOR ONCE!

what happened to the old days, when LEC would try new (Maniac Manson) and strange (Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max) games? Like StormHammer said over at EB, everyone in the industry is now simply focusing on safe bets, and 'streamlining' sequels to become more 'accessible' to the widest possible audience. I mean, of course a Jedi Knight sequel is gonna seem to sell more before release, but did that USE to matter, whent they released Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle? They took risks back then, didn't just send out sequel after sequel after licensed game after generic game (RTX, anyone?). The closest LA has gotten to realeasing a game like the ones they used to is Armed and Dangerous.
 Sivy
03-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Howard the Duck, of course.

:eek: really? that would be cool... i love that movie! :D
 edlib
03-04-2004, 11:01 AM
This is a really idiotic decision that I believe LA will learn to regret.

This game would have sold BIG. Every gamer I know was really looking forward to it... even those who never play adventure games or had ever heard of Sam & Max. With a tiny bit of marketing savvy this game had HUGE crossover potental to appeal to non-Lucasarts-adventure gaming fans.

Dumb dumb dumb...
 toms
03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC"

This seems a strange reason. Graphic Adventures haven't been selling well on th PC for the past 5 years or so... so they must have known all along, for both this and Full Throttle 2, that it was going to be a niche game.... why cancel it now?

Lucasarts used to be one of the best game companies out there... being one of the few independent publishers with a sound financial backing (lucasfilm) they were able to be inventive and creative and original like very few others (maybe looking glass). Now they just produce average cookie cutter genre games and never take a risk on anything. They haven't produced an "all time classic" since Jedi Knight... and for a company who's output used to entirely consist of all time classics (sam & max, full throttle, monkey island, x-wing, tie-fighter, etc..) that is a huge shame.

I hoped once simon jeffery left they might become a bit more adventurous and start developing a few original titles, but they still just produce star wars genre games that copy whatever is popular at the time. sigh.

I was really looking foreward to this...:mad:
Page: 1 of 1