Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gridiron...........WTF!

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Rythe
03-02-2004, 7:42 AM
I'm sorry to all you fans of it, (spelling is prob wrong) but I watched a little bit of it the other day and it is messed...

Your all padded up you chuck a ball person catches ball person gets takled go back to the start...WHAT!, I'm not much of a football or Soccor person but I found this quite...odd:confused:
 Link_Solo
03-02-2004, 7:56 AM
No idea what gidron(or whatever) is:confused:
 Darth Rythe
03-02-2004, 8:04 AM
American Football, the one where they are all in the big padding and stuff.
 IG-64
03-02-2004, 8:23 AM
That is because you don't know how the game works.

Believe me, I watch my brother play Madden and there is alot more to it than just violence (A common misconception).

Oh, and they call it the gridiron because the field is one big grid of measurments.
 Darth Rythe
03-02-2004, 8:38 AM
Well, I think it is wierd.:confused:
 Reborn Outcast
03-02-2004, 9:01 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you talking about American Football? You mean you've never seen it?! *Hides little kids' eyes*

Once you get used to the rules, it's awesome.
 Hiroki
03-02-2004, 9:02 AM
Well, I'm not too into American football eather, but from what I can tell, they don't go back to the start. They catch the football, run with it untill they are tackled, and wherever they went down, thats where they place the ball next.
 IG-64
03-02-2004, 9:15 AM
Originally posted by Hiroki
Well, I'm not too into American football eather, but from what I can tell, they don't go back to the start. They catch the football, run with it untill they are tackled, and wherever they went down, thats where they place the ball next.

Well, they try to score by getting the ball to the endzone, the area at the end of the field, within limited rules.

They have four downs, when the guy is tackled and they start where he fell, a line is set and if you pass it you go back to first down, getting you more chances at getting more yards torward the endzone, if you run out of yards the other team gets a chance at getting to the endzone and making a touchdown, a touchdown is worth 6 points and then an extra point making it 7.

any other questions?
 Hiroki
03-02-2004, 9:57 AM
Um, what is it when they kick it thru the big yellow psychic-fork thing? You know when somebody holds the ball and guy runs at it and gives it a good kick. Or is that the touchdown you where walking about? I wasen't sure becouse he did it from across the field.
 IG-64
03-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Hiroki
Um, what is it when they kick it thru the big yellow psychic-fork thing? You know when somebody holds the ball and guy runs at it and gives it a good kick. Or is that the touchdown you where walking about? I wasen't sure becouse he did it from across the field.

Ok, when they kick it through the "psychic- fork thing" that is a field goal, a field goal is when the team runs out of downs and is in kicking range, which is about 40-0 yards away from the endzone, if they succefully kick the ball through the fork they score 3 points.

If they kick the ball from across the field, however, they do not kick it thru the field goal fork, that is either a kickoff or a punt, a kickoff is either at the beginning of the game, the half, or when the team scores a point they hav to kick it to the other team so they can start thier round of play, A punt is when you run out of downs and you are not in field goal renge, you then try to kick the ball to make them farther away from the endzone.

Any more questions?
 Neverhoodian
03-02-2004, 2:10 PM
When I first saw the thread name, I thought Gridiron was some sort of anime show or video game.:p

Guess you learn something new every day.
 ExcelsioN
03-02-2004, 2:25 PM
I voted 'EAT ME'...I don't didn't know what 'Giridion' is. Meh, I've never seen american football anyway.
 MennoniteHobbit
03-02-2004, 8:14 PM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
I voted 'EAT ME'...I don't didn't know what 'Giridion' is. Meh, I've never seen american football anyway.

you.... are... deprived....

;)

p.s. Gridiron???? never heard of that name.
 ET Warrior
03-02-2004, 8:17 PM
I like american football okay. I played it in middles school. It's not as good as hockey, but, whatever :p
 Hiroki
03-02-2004, 8:50 PM
I don't get it...why do all the guys crash into each other instead of everybody going for the ball?
 ET Warrior
03-02-2004, 9:18 PM
The big linemen are there to prevent the people on defense from getting the guy with the ball.
 Darth Rythe
03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
GRIDIRON IS AMERICAN FOOTBALL!

i think...
 Hiroki
03-02-2004, 10:56 PM
I think we've figured that out, but thanks Ryth. :)
 Neverhoodian
03-02-2004, 11:21 PM
originally posted by ExcelsioN
Meh, I've never seen american football anyway.

You really should watch it if you ever get the time. Seeing big, sweaty men bash into each other like a herd of sex-crazed male rams, knocking each other down, performing the "I'm dang SEXY" victory dance after making a touchdown...

Y'know, testosterone at it's finest.:p

j/k, actually, it's pretty fun to watch...but I only watch it occasionally.
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
03-02-2004, 11:53 PM
I have only one thing to say to you Rythe. YOU SHOULD START WHATCHING IT!

If you saw my face it is meant to be a threat ;)

And I still can't believe more of you swampies like football. I love it, it's very stratigious...and good for your physical condition.

Did I meantion fun, well it's that too
 IG-64
03-02-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
You really should watch it if you ever get the time. Seeing big, sweaty men bash into each other like a herd of sex-crazed male rams, knocking each other down, performing the "I'm dang SEXY" victory dance after making a touchdown...

Y'know, testosterone at it's finest.:p

j/k, actually, it's pretty fun to watch...but I only watch it occasionally.

Pointless head bashing... yet another common misconseption of football...
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
03-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Pointless head bashing... yet another common misconseption of football...

That "pointless" head bashing is what helps keep their fellow teammates safe, and also scores a point for the team.

so I guess pointless is...well pointless in that sentence.

[EDIT]That wasn't a bash against you IG for the record
 IG-64
03-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir
[EDIT]That wasn't a bash against you IG for the record

o-k, thanks... I guess....
 Troopr-Undr-Fir
03-03-2004, 1:00 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
o-k, thanks... I guess....

just sayin, cause I quoted you and didn't say that I wasn't talking to any one in particular
 Jedi Luke
03-03-2004, 5:13 AM
Haven't seen it and I'm not interested in watching American Footy. I'm proud of the sports here, not American based ones.
Page: 1 of 1