Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please help magic computer people

Page: 1 of 1
 BigTeddyPaul
02-28-2004, 1:57 AM
A couple of days ago I went to bed after playing some BF 1942. When I got on to play again today there is a lapse in my computer game. What I mean is that I will be playing online and then my computer will do a mini-freeze. Anywhere from 4-15 seconds later it acts normal again for a short amount of time and then it freezes again. I tried a non-multiplayer game and it freezes during that game too. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? As far as I know nothing was added to my computer and I have done a full virus check just to be sure.

EDIT:

I put all the video settings to medium instead of high and that seemed to do the trick. The thing that makes me mad though is that I have always had the settings on high. Is there a way I can go back to the best settings?

EDIT AGAIN:

Well that didn't work after all. It lets me play for a while until I get to a detailed area and then it freezes again. ERG!

BigTeddyPaul
 IG-64
02-28-2004, 4:49 AM
What adware/virus/spyware programs do you use?
 Crow_Nest
02-28-2004, 5:28 AM
Did you install any new software before this happend? And try a reinstall, see if it helps :)
 BigTeddyPaul
02-28-2004, 1:41 PM
As far as spyware and that none that I know of. I have adaware which I constantly use to get rid of such things. I have reinstalled BF 1942 twice and patches twice.

ERGGGG!

BTP
 ET Warrior
02-28-2004, 5:32 PM
Perhaps your drivers for your video card got clobbered somehow. I'd recommend downloading all the latest drivers, even if you recently did it, do it again.
 The_One
02-28-2004, 6:58 PM
Is it doing this only in that game, or in others too?

If the problem is unique to BF1942, I'd recommend a complete re-install of that game. If you are experiencing the problem in other games, it sounds like it could be a hard drive access issue. But before I go down that route, could you confirm when this is happening?
 BigTeddyPaul
02-29-2004, 1:28 AM
I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning and BF 1942 stopped working. It froze every couple of seconds for a short amount of time. I made sure it did not affect just BF 1942 and it does indeed freeze during other games. I have reinstalled the game multiple times. I have run virus scan. I have defragged my system. I did a system restore to one week prior to my complications. I did not find any new updates to my sound or video programs. I got rid of 25 gigs just for the hell of it.

When I lowered the video settings it helped but it still does have the problem.

I have nothing left to do now but do a complete wipe of my computer. I am reluctant to do so because of all my files and it would be a pain but I think I might have to.

Doobie doobie doo.
 BCanr2d2
02-29-2004, 2:40 AM
Sounds way to suspicously like a video card driver issue. I would even try and do the "uninstall" of your current ones and then try to reinstall them.

Even try and turn off virus protection whilst playing games, perhaps BF1942 does something that the anti-virus program thinks is "virus-like"
 Crow_Nest
02-29-2004, 3:15 AM
Did you install a new mod/skin or something? It may be causing that problem.
Page: 1 of 1