Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Skybox Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 SeriousMite
02-25-2004, 3:40 PM
Okay, what am I doing wrong here? I had no trouble with skyboxes in JO, but for whatever reason I can't get any JA skies to work.

I'm making an outdoor level so I made a giant box out of caulk brushes to surround everything. I then put the skies on the appropriate walls (top, right, left, front and back). This doesn't work. They just show up as regular, flat textures. I've tried like four or five sets of skies. What's the deal? Did I make my box too big? Does it have to be a certain size?
 wedge2211
02-25-2004, 4:36 PM
Did you apply the sky shader to the inner surfaces of the brushes? That'd be the little picture with a name like "bespin_sky" or something that just looks like the word SKY tiled over and over. Never apply the images themselves.
 WadeV1589
02-25-2004, 4:38 PM
I'm going to be vague because you can search for your answer (which exists here already and you'd know if you searched).

You use a texture that says "SKY" on a blue background, not the actual large images, skies are special shaders.

And don't just surround your map with a huge skybox unless it's a space map. You should be fitting the skybox to the level using multiple sections There is no need on any planet map, even open to have a fully covered skybox, I doubt you can see the sky through the ground!
 SeriousMite
02-25-2004, 5:07 PM
Sorry, I did try the search engine... couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks though, that did the trick. Strange cause I didn't do it that way in JO... I used one of the actual sky textures and it worked fine. I'm curious though, how could you make an outdoor level without making a box surrounding the top and four sides of level? Is there some other way?
 hgwall44
02-25-2004, 10:25 PM
well it could be kind of like a temple kind of thing. Say you had your grounds and then your 4 walls would have some type of old stone. then you could have the roof shaded with a sky. Thats all i got out of what wade said.

Man wade search is your dang answer to everything, it doesn't allways work(besides this instance) lol
 WadeV1589
02-25-2004, 11:20 PM
I only say it when I know full well that the topic has been covered before. If it was a genuine "help I can't find the answer" question then I'd reply, but lately every post is a request for help about something 9/10 I'VE covered before! It wouldn't be too bad but I actually remember covering most of the stuff.

Shall I get GothiX in here to agree? He's noticed it too. We're here to help with new problems and build up a database, not repeat the same old stuff repeatedly slowing down the forums!

I will continue to say search until someone posts a genuine no search question.
 Leslie Judge
02-26-2004, 7:18 AM
Hehh. search is my dang answer to everything too. :)

And if you do a search, do it in the JO Mapping section too. Most of the answers can be found there.
Page: 1 of 1