Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A little help is requested...

Page: 1 of 1
 --ZeeMan--
02-24-2004, 4:32 PM
Yeah, I've been working on this problem for probably the past week or so. On my website for my clan, I cannot for the life of me get the forum to be installed correctly. I am trying to install a phpbb. As far as I can tell I:

1) have the database name, database username, and datasbase password correct.

2) all the important files like config.php and install.php are edited to the proper settings and such.

3) i can set the first installation page which asks for basic config, database config, and then forum admin config. but when i try to go on to the next page it doesn't load

i've talked with a few friends and they are all stumped by this. also, the tech support of my host hasn't been able to help me figure this out yet. so i will appreciate any feedback and opinions that you guys might have
 Joetheeskimo
02-24-2004, 6:36 PM
Once you enter the info into the installation page, you have to delete the install folder in your phpBB2 directory, through FTP or whatever you used to upload the files.
 Pad
02-24-2004, 7:40 PM
Did you CHMOD the right files?
 --ZeeMan--
02-24-2004, 8:16 PM
yes i have the permissions set right and i haven't tried deleting the install folder :-D thank you i'll try that tonite when i get home from school
 Pad
02-25-2004, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
...delete the install folder ... :eyeraise:
You only have to delete the install.php file ;)
 --ZeeMan--
02-26-2004, 1:20 AM
yeah i tried that and it didn't work....it says i already have a "phpbb_database" already completed or something :-(
 Acrylic
02-26-2004, 1:36 AM
Is there any free servers* on which I can install PHPBB? And if so, please tell me.

*=The ones that have the right versions of MySQL and stuff required to run it.
 RpTheHotrod
02-26-2004, 5:53 AM
*squeezes the blue lemon*
 --ZeeMan--
02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
LOL *lables rpthehotrod "random" :-D*

and no i dont' know of any free servers that you can do that with
 ZBomber
02-26-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm glad Wacky gave me server space. Easy tool that sets up phpBB automatically. -_-
 RpTheHotrod
02-26-2004, 3:18 PM
Well

"Acrylic
Squeeze my Blue Lemon..."

so it's not entirely random, ;)

I'll talk to a friend of mine that knows php pretty well.
 Pad
02-26-2004, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by --ZeeMan--
yeah i tried that and it didn't work....it says i already have a "phpbb_database" already completed or something :-(
If thats the case it means your database structure has already been build. My suggestion is you clear the dbase and install the whole lot again. ;)
 --ZeeMan--
02-26-2004, 5:57 PM
yeah ok i'll try that and see if that will help

and yeah i just got that rpthehotrod :-p
 Joetheeskimo
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Did you or did you not delte the install folder?
 Acrylic
03-04-2004, 1:20 AM
Well, does anyone have an answer to my question?
 Joetheeskimo
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Acrylic - I don't know any good free servers that support phpBB2 at the moment. I hosted one of my forums on a free server called Farstate, but it had a VERY low bandwith limit and it no longer offers free accounts. Right now I have mine on a payed server - $4 a month. Not that expensive, but if you seriously need free hosting, I'll recommend http://www.clickherefree.com) , a large free hosting directory. Go to their advanced search and change the options to PHP-enabled and MySQL enabled. Anyway, I think you can manage.

Joe
 Pad
03-08-2004, 8:29 PM
Lycos, I installed my first phpbb forum on their server and it did the job quite well. Only downside was the sometimes long loadtime.

As for now, we are on our own payed stable server to do all our tricks.
Page: 1 of 1