Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Show go up, (show go down)?

Page: 1 of 1
 Skinkie
02-23-2004, 8:31 PM
Originally posted by manny_c444
I completely agree. The simpsons is starting to suck pretty badly now, so maybe Sam and Max could just steal its slot all together.

Actually this year, they've really picked up the slack that's been laying around the last few seasons, and it's been really funny again. Malcolm however seems to have lost something with the addition of a new kid. Still hilarious though.
 toenail1
02-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Malcolm however seems to have lost something with the addition of a new kid. Still hilarious though.

i disagree with the "its still funny though" part, it stopped being good after about the second or thrid season (when Francais left military school)

and The Simpsons was the best in about seasons 3-8

but yeah, sam and max wouldve been A LOT better if it had some darker or higher-brow humor in it, like in the comics and HTR
 manny_c444
02-24-2004, 2:11 AM
I think the simpsons is basically absolute trash now. Older simpsons were somewhat serious with goofy yet still awesome plots (like the the spoof on Citizen Kane that had the 3 eyed fish and Mr.Burns running for governor). The animation has become worse, the voice actin has also slumped with characters like Barney, Nelson, and the most recent addition Wiggum.

Another big problem is the annoying and constant use of celebrities on the show, usually they don't add any humor at all, most of the time they are a huge waste.

And it just isn't funny. I haven't laughed out loud at the Simpsons in quite a few years, while the old one's never fail to entertain me.
 Skinkie
02-24-2004, 2:29 AM
Simpsons - The one this year where Homer built that fake robot in order to win back Bart's affection, and Snowball II gets hit by a car and Lisa is trying to deal with it was the greatest episode they've had in a long time, a few parts of it had me cracking up.

Malcolm - I thought it was still really funny up till last year, when it seemed to have a few low spots, especially after Lois left. Although the last episode of the year, when they joined the church is one of my all time favorites. This year's I've felt have been subpar for the most part. There's been a few funny ones, but overall having a baby means that one member of the cast has to get written off in each episode while they watch the kid.
 toenail1
02-25-2004, 12:01 AM
has also slumped with characters like Barney, Nelson, and the most recent addition Wiggum.

thats funny, because those charcters have been around for a loooong time (2nd and 3rd season i think)

Simpsons - The one this year where Homer built that fake robot in order to win back Bart's affection, and Snowball II gets hit by a car and Lisa is trying to deal with it was the greatest episode they've had in a long time, a few parts of it had me cracking up.

and yes, the robot episode was pretty funny
 Skinkie
02-25-2004, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by toenail1
thats funny, because those charcters have been around for a loooong time (2nd and 3rd season i think)

He doesn't mean adding the characters was bad, he means the voice acting they've had recently has suffered. I have to agree on the Barney one, ever since he stopped being an alcoholic he just doesn't sound right.
 toenail1
02-25-2004, 6:26 PM
ever since he stopped being an alcoholic he just doesn't sound right.

can i hear an amen? i said can i hear an amen? AMEN! hallelujah!
 Skinkie
02-25-2004, 8:57 PM
Although there was that Evita parody one where Barney was laying in the gutter singing about a relapse.
 Orca Wail
02-26-2004, 1:01 PM
Some times, when my sisters home from colledge and we don't want to kill eachother, in those rare, peaceful do-nothing days we watch old Simpsons...we used to tape every single damm episode...up until about 1999...

But whatever...the simpsons has gone CRAP. I think its a simple case of "the well has gone dry"...they've run out of good material.

omfg did you hear there's going to be a Simpsons movie?
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
 Ray Jones
02-26-2004, 1:49 PM
hey .. i did the same!.. only with mash.

:cool:
 Skinkie
02-26-2004, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Orca Wail

omfg did you hear there's going to be a Simpsons movie?
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Yeah, but it's being written by seven of the writers from the old days, so don't comletely discredit it yet.
 manny_c444
02-26-2004, 6:40 PM
I don't know if its the old one's or the new ones, but they need to fire most of those ****ty writers. The episodes are devolving into celebrity infested shows dominated by lewd humor--its like Family Guy now, except it isn't funny.

Believe it or not, when you look back to the true classics of the simpsons, the show was actually kind of wholesome. The plots were usually clever too, but now thats all been sacked and they have episodes written by a staff, not a full episode written by one person (which is what they really need). The shows become a parody of its self, the voice acting is devolving and the characters are changing just for the hell of it--not because there is a clever reason. The simpsons is now basically unwatchable trash. Now the only show I watch on Sunday Night is arrested development.

Oh, and that Robot episode sucked.
 Orca Wail
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Wholesome?

I remember reading somewhere that early in the sieres, ratings plummeted because of Bart's fresh mouth. Wholesome?!?

Well, I guess compared to some other stuff...

Now it seems all thats good on Sunday night is Bernie Mac. And even that sometimes is stupid...

*cries*where has my Sunday night gone?

EDIT: also whats devolved about the Simpsons is they used to do traditonal hand drawn animation. Now everything is done with a computer. That's fine, I guess, but I miss the hand drawn characters.
 manny_c444
02-27-2004, 8:13 PM
The dialouge and content weren't exactly wholesome but the plots for the episodes usually concluded in a wholesome manner.

And yeah, thats another thing I forgot to mention, the animation has gone downhilldrastically since the glory day seasons.

Although I did really like the Linguo (sp?) epsiode, that was my favorite newer-ish episode.
 Jester
02-27-2004, 8:32 PM
From glimpses of the Simpsons in the past few years, it seems to me that Homer's endearing oafish nature was transformed into sheer unjustified obnoxiousness. I think this may have been ameliorated in the most recent of seasons, but isn't enough to overcome the deficiencies in plot and generally injured palate of the Simpsons.
 edlib
02-28-2004, 2:34 PM
It's not as good as it used to be,.. but even the worst Simpson's episode is better than almost anything else that's on.
I find that shows from the last couple of seasons that I thought were stinkers at the time seem funnier to me when watching them in syndicated re-runs. I don't know if this is due to being able to catch some of the throwaway jokes and little details that I might have missed on the first viewing,.. or that I'm so otherwise starved for quality entertainment that I'm giving them far more credit than they deserve.

Something I discoved by accident: If you have closed-captioning on your TV turn it on when watching the show... sometimes the dialog is completely different, and sometimes funnier.
 Orca Wail
03-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Close-captioning for the news makes no sense. They're talking about something that happened in New York, and the close-caption is like "summer tin harpooned inn Nu yok."

I swear. Watch it sometime...

...i need a life...
 Ray Jones
03-01-2004, 1:00 PM
eehehehehehe.

"close captioning"
 James Isaac
03-01-2004, 3:30 PM
I think Simpsons is getting much better. I think it's getting funnier now, and looking better.

But I agree with you that Malcolm has stopped being funny. The first episodes were great (like the NASCAR one :D ), but now they just aren't funny anymore.
 Skinkie
03-01-2004, 8:56 PM
Yeah, I got the first season of Malcolm on DVD.
 DrZaius
03-03-2004, 1:15 AM
I completly agree with manny.

And it's not just an opinion of a few.. EVERYONE knows and thinks this. Its a fact.

Younger audience will watch any garbage, and because its the Simpsons.. gee it must be funny. right?
Page: 1 of 1