Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question about animated series

Page: 1 of 1
 DrZaius
02-22-2004, 9:23 AM
Hey all

I have never seen the animated series, but loved sam n max since HTR.

What would you say the target audience is for the series? I would be more than happy to purchase them. But since it was aired on Fox Kids i'm thinking they may have dumbed it down.

Is it too kiddie? Or is it *funny*, like futurama/simpsons/family guy etc etc.
 manny_c444
02-22-2004, 3:53 PM
Although it would've worked better as simpsons-esque set up, it is unfortunately a full-fledged kids show. Except its has better plots, and the vocabulary is still at a higher level than the other stuff.

Its not exactly Sam and Max, more of a less-raunchy and less violent children's version. But as far as children's shows go, its good. Plus, in the episodes I saw, they have a lame add-on to their team in the form of a little braniac girl. I don't know what they were thinking there.

...or maybe I just imagined that.
 Skinkie
02-22-2004, 5:57 PM
Actually Steve Purcell himself came up with the idea for "The Geek" who was the braniac little girl, so she's pretty official I think. And yeah while the show wasn't quite as outlandish as the other Sam and Max venues, it is still well worth watching.
 Samnmax221
02-22-2004, 7:03 PM
I heard before he came up with the geek she was a sexy land lady
 samandmaxfiend
02-22-2004, 11:03 PM
yeah it was more a kids show..not as good as eek the cat..which was disguised as a kids show..theyd have eek walk into a wall or sumthin.but really wasnt..theyd have episodes taking off pulp fiction.. if samnmax was given a few more years i think it would have developed in2 a better show..unfortunately it wasnt given the chance
 Skinkie
02-23-2004, 2:02 AM
I think it needed a time slot between the Simposons and Malcolm, that's where it deserved to be.
 manny_c444
02-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Skinkie
I think it needed a time slot between the Simposons and Malcolm, that's where it deserved to be.

I completely agree. The simpsons is starting to suck pretty badly now, so maybe Sam and Max could just steal its slot all together.

And I can belive the braniac was purcell's idea, but I bet he was forced to add the character by the higher-ups. We all know that Sam and Max work best as a team, with the nebulous commisioner calling the shots from the shadows.
 Jake
02-23-2004, 4:47 PM
At this point I'm okay with the fact that they wanted to do a kids cartoon, but a more true-to-the-comics version of the Sam & Max cartoon would probably do really well on Adult Swim, though thats been said a few times already around here. I think that would be a better home than Fox Sundays
Page: 1 of 1