Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Computer building advice

Page: 1 of 1
 woodenstool
02-20-2004, 8:58 PM
I'm going to be putting together a computer soon and I was worried about the whole static-electricity-can-mess-up-all-your-parts thing. I don't want to buy any special equipment just for this project, like an antistatic wristband or the likes. I'm wondering if any of you might have some good solutions for this. I don't think just touching some metal will completely ground me.

What about rubber gloves? being that they are made of rubber, would they be able to insulate the electricity?

For those of you that don't know, static electricity from your clothes and body will damage your computer parts and shorten their lifespan.
 _PerfectAgent_
02-20-2004, 9:10 PM
Also, don't work on it in a carpeted room.
 ET Warrior
02-20-2004, 10:23 PM
I'd avoid playing with a Tesla coil around the parts aswell. Typically that won't help things.
 Pie™
02-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I'd avoid playing with a Tesla coil around the parts aswell. Typically that won't help things. How about electrically ladden monkeys with pointy hats, can i play with them? :confused:
 The_One
02-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok, the whole static electricity thing is a big fuss over nothing. I've been building and upgrading computers for years and can tell you it is extremely difficult to damage a component - you have to do something pretty stupid in order to do so.

I've never had any problems with static - don't believe everything you read, normally it's just to cover the company in the unlikely event that something does go wrong.

Just build away and you'll have no problems. If I were you, I'd be more worried about getting a decent thermal seal, rather than static. That's about the only time you can damage anything, and even then, the chances are small.
 kingdomwinds
02-21-2004, 12:49 AM
lol I had the same exact worry that u have when i was about to build my pc. I went all out and bought a static strap, $10, and used a spare pc case to ground my self. I plugged the spare case in a grounded outlet and clipped the static strap on. I think it was unnecessary but i did not fry any of my chips. Don';t worry. Just dont walk on carpet. Work in a kitchen like it did. And turn up the heat in the room
 BCanr2d2
02-21-2004, 3:56 AM
There are a couple of things to do.

The first, is before you work with the PC, leave it plugged into the power, so it is grounded at all time through your electrical wiring.

You can ground/earth yourself by touching the power supply before doing any work on the PC.

Other than that, there isn't such a big risk of static.
 Tyrion
02-21-2004, 4:11 AM
Frankly, all I do is just touch my hand against the metal case. Heck, I've changed out video cards and ram on a rug on top of a carpet for over a year, and I havent damaged a single piece yet.
 Jedi Luke
02-21-2004, 4:35 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Ok, the whole static electricity thing is a big fuss over nothing. I've been building and upgrading computers for years and can tell you it is extremely difficult to damage a component - you have to do something pretty stupid in order to do so.

I've never had any problems with static - don't believe everything you read, normally it's just to cover the company in the unlikely event that something does go wrong.

Just build away and you'll have no problems. If I were you, I'd be more worried about getting a decent thermal seal, rather than static. That's about the only time you can damage anything, and even then, the chances are small.

Yep, there's nothing wrong with installing on a carpet. When I installed my 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card into my pc, i did it on carpet and had no static electricity problems or damaged components. Just make sure the power of the PC is off ;).
 kingdomwinds
02-21-2004, 11:09 AM
but if u are in a cold area, i suggest u not build it on carpet. Cold is static's friend. Also, taking a shower and building helps. When u are slightly wet, static does not easily build up in ur body
 Astrotoy7
02-21-2004, 12:06 PM
aah, pc building, the ultimate test of computer nerd ability...

Im still in training.....

MTFBWYA
 DarkLord60
02-21-2004, 2:29 PM
Originally posted by kingdomwinds
but if u are in a cold area, i suggest u not build it on carpet. Cold is static's friend. Also, taking a shower and building helps. When u are slightly wet, static does not easily build up in ur body

Thats what anti-static braclets are for.
 MennoniteHobbit
02-21-2004, 6:14 PM
well, when you're not installing a component, let's say a hard drive you went out and bought, leave it in its "anti-static" bag thingy... kinda tinted... never mind... hopefully you understand what I'm saying
 Tyrion
02-21-2004, 7:45 PM
Anti-static bag is that dark-grayish transparent bag that your parts come in. It usually has "Anti-Static Bag" on it, so it's hard to miss.
 DarkLord60
02-22-2004, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Anti-static bag is that dark-grayish transparent bag that your parts come in. It usually has "Anti-Static Bag" on it, so it's hard to miss.

Hell I will send him some I got hundreds of those.
 Sivy
02-24-2004, 9:18 AM
i don't bother with all that. i've built hundreds of computers and i've only ever blown up a couple of PSUs and motherboards... but they were very old so i don't take full reasonability for those :D

as long as you don't build it on a golf course during a thunder storm you'll be fine ;)
 DarkLord60
02-24-2004, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by Siv
i don't bother with all that. i've built hundreds of computers and i've only ever blown up a couple of PSUs and motherboards... but they were very old so i don't take full reasonability for those :D

as long as you don't build it on a golf course during a thunder storm you'll be fine ;)

Siv is right at work I toss vid cards and MB, although you shouldn't, and they still work so I wouldnt worry to much.
Page: 1 of 1