Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor .MDL format editing problems

Page: 1 of 1
 Vital
02-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Hi.

I extract n_dustilh.mdl file (using Kotor Tool) and try to load it into 3DSMax (using mdl-plugin-suite-1.1b4 for 3DSMax 6) but I get message that it`s not valid BIN or ASCII format.
Than I`d try to unpack the model first using nwnmdlcomp.exe but it`s didn`t work too (nwnmdlcomp.exe simply crashed) :(

Is anyone know how to convert Kotor .mdl file in some valid format (nwn .mdl, wavefront .obj or anythig else)?

.... and what is .mdx format? Is it materials, kinematics description or somthing else?
 T7nowhere
02-20-2004, 12:31 PM
noone has cracked the models yet. best that can be done is to hex edit. :(
 Vital
02-20-2004, 3:51 PM
Noone ?! ... Oh :(

Y mean that it has some protection?
But what kind of protection?
If some "error" value inseted in file structure hex editing can help, but if it has been packed with protection hex editor will be useless....
Someone try to compare kotor mdl file structure with original NWN bin mdl?
 ibo
02-20-2004, 5:38 PM
I was looking on BioWare page, it seems they use 3D Max but also Motion Builder for animation.
Now, Motion Builder has made an universal converter, called FBX.
Once the plugin is installed in Max, Maya, XSI etc. , you are able to export the character model to an .FBX file and import it in Motion Builder where you can animate it.
Did anyone tried one of those so called .mdl files with Motion Builder, eventualy changing the extention?
 Joco
02-28-2004, 7:07 PM
The binary NWN mdl file format and the KOTOR mdl formats are VERY different.

I've spent some time comparing the two and where the NWN mdl uses what is essentially pesudo fixed record size system the KOTOR stuff looks to be fully variable length. This is possibly where the mdx file kicks in. It could be an index file into the resources held in the mdl.

Just some initial thoughts based on an initial "snoop" at the binary mdl. Others might have spent moore time and have a different/better view. I would be interested in hearing those.

Cheers,
Joco.
 Kitty Kitty
02-29-2004, 2:51 PM
My forte has never been the tearing apart and reverse enginering of a given file without proper information.. I did it a few times back in the OLD days (pre windows era) and whipped up a few DOS based save game editors.. but the save game formats in those cases were infinitely more simple than the model formats used here.

But.. from what I have been able to tell, I think you're on track -or at least very close to it, Joco. Unfortunately however, I seriously doubt that my (very dated) skills are up to the task of figuring them out. :(

It's a real shame too.. I AM rather good with 3d modeling software (such as Milkshape), and think I could do some really nice work if the format was ever cracked and import/export filters could be written. =/

-Kitty
 Joco
03-05-2004, 6:58 AM
Yeah - When I get some more time I'll have another look.

My skills primarily are in bulding modeler support utilities. Specifically in gmax/3dsmax. But I'm pecking away at this stuff. Maybe something will click at some point and all will be revealed.

Cheers,
Joco.
(NWmax Author)
 Weiser_Cain
03-05-2004, 7:05 AM
Please do!
Page: 1 of 1