Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Awful Thread Topics

Page: 1 of 1
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 7:33 AM
Well - I just want to vent.

I go to this board that sells Scrapbooking stuff and it has a message board that is hardly ever moderated. There is like a million members and it's all crap and spam - with a few good threads in there. Well the Off topic forum is hella crazy and I really want to post "sarcastic" and evil responces...but I don't want to be a mean person. I can do that here and everyone knows that I'm joking....there you joke and everyone runs into the thread and it becomes an instant flame war.

So with that in mind I'm going to show you some of the Topics and show you what awful things can be posted when you don't have moderaters (I love ours) and I now have newfound respect for them.

And I do understand that these women would probably come here and think our threads are crap and silly too...but you just gotta here these

Bad Topics

1. Help me get over the Divorce of my husband

Opening Post:
I can't seem to let it go. I know i should let hime go on alone BUT I stil feel that I love him. We have three small kids and I want to do the right thing

PLEASE HELP ME

My Responce: This is a Scrapbooking forum...not therapy!

2. Name something cute your pet did today

Opening Post:
Like when she lies down, it is associated with a big "harumphhhhhhhh" sort of sighing noise. (short excert of a page long post)

My responce: He peed on the carpet.

3. I got tickets to Oprah what should I wear?

4. How do YOU clean your fridge?

5. Say something "NASTY" about the poster above you.

6. Have you ever ad a relationship that was purely Physical

Well this one could have been interesting...

Opening Post:
I had one. It was a total s*x thing and nothing else at all. It was great. I still smile when I think of him. Well, until I start thinking that he's in the pen. Thats not so great

HE"S IN THE PEN!!!

7. Those of you with Cats where do you keep the litter box?

EWWW

And my personal favorite

"WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THIS BOARD

All I have to say is today is the official Hug your Lucasforums moderator today!
 El Sitherino
02-18-2004, 7:42 AM
Originally posted by STTCT
Well - I just want to vent.

I go to this board that sells Scrapbooking stuff and it has a message board that is hardly ever moderated. There is like a million members and it's all crap and spam - with a few good threads in there. Well the Off topic forum is hella crazy and I really want to post "sarcastic" and evil responces...but I don't want to be a mean person. I can do that here and everyone knows that I'm joking....there you joke and everyone runs into the thread and it becomes an instant flame war.

So with that in mind I'm going to show you some of the Topics and show you what awful things can be posted when you don't have moderaters (I love ours) and I now have newfound respect for them.

And I do understand that these women would probably come here and think our threads are crap and silly too...but you just gotta here these

Bad Topics

Opening Post:
I can't seem to let it go. I know i should let hime go on alone BUT I stil feel that I love him. We have three small kids and I want to do the right thing

PLEASE HELP ME

My Responce: This is a Scrapbooking forum...not therapy!

Opening Post:
Like when she lies down, it is associated with a big "harumphhhhhhhh" sort of sighing noise. (short excert of a page long post)

3. I got tickets to Oprah what should I wear?

4. How do YOU clean your fridge?

6. Have you ever ad a relationship that was purely Physical

Well this one could have been interesting...

Opening Post:
I had one. It was a total s*x thing and nothing else at all. It was great. I still smile when I think of him. Well, until I start thinking that he's in the pen. Thats not so great

HE"S IN THE PEN!!!

EWWW

And my personal favorite

All I have to say is today is the official Hug your Lucasforums moderator today! I'm so scared right now ;_;
 Sivy
02-18-2004, 8:40 AM

ok, lie back

:naughty:

heheehehhehhehe

looks like a fun board... i think they need me there :D
 Darth Rythe
02-18-2004, 9:11 AM

HA!

Well a lot of people make stupid things all the time, like alot of the swamp ones, but you post in it if you want, and if you don't then.................don't

But it is true those are some messed threads.
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 9:28 AM
Ya, but for every good thread there's like a million bad ones. I understand..don't post if you don't like it...but here's an example

On the one abuot " Help me get over the divorce of my husband"

I posted : How can we, a scrapbooking forum, help you get over a divorce.? I don't mean to mean but, this is better off asked of a councelor or talked about in therapy.

You want to know what responces I got back?

"Jenn-
I hope that whatever you do- counseling, prayer, meditation, etc. will help you heal and restore your soul and damaged heart. What a difficult thing to do! Everyone can give you great ideas on how to get over it, but ultimately, you'll discover what will bring you the greatest peace and that will only come with time.
I already see one post here that could cause this to go south...just know there are many women here who support you and wish you the best. Yep-we ARE a scrapbook forum-filled with women who have "been there, done that" and can speak from experience on many issues. This IS posted on the NSBR forum and it's posted by someone obviously lonely and hurting and looking for comfort in a place she feels comfortable in. Yes- she'd probably definitely benefit from counselling but we could all be a great support system as well.
We're here for ya Jenn!! "

and then

"Jen,
Have you considered moving to be near family and/or friends? Although, your children need their Dad. Where does he live? Again, I am so sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can we...a scrapbooking forum...help you get over your divorce? I don't mean to be mean, but this is better off asked of a councelor or talked in therapy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you have nothing nice to offer, Jen. That, is very clear. But please don't belittle her for feeling as if she can ask us for direction. Geesh! And, counselor is spelled with an 's' not a 'c'.

It just makes me so angry! I know my spelling sucks but geezus!
 Sivy
02-18-2004, 9:51 AM
post a link, then the invasion can begin :D

muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 9:59 AM
No, I wouldn't want to do that :(

*sends tons of PM's*

No seriously - I would hate it if a bunch of Star Wars haten people did that here.
 Alegis
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM

you ***** ***** in ****** ***** when ****** ********** ******* the neighbours ***
 Crow_Nest
02-18-2004, 10:11 AM

Yeah yeah you can blame me for all the spam posts. :D
 Mex
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
No, I wouldn't want to do that :(

*sends tons of PM's*

No seriously - I would hate it if a bunch of Star Wars haten people did that here.

You know you want to. I got genius ideas for threads!

Thread topic : My mumy caled me dum!

^_^;
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 10:19 AM
ROFL (no because then we'd be just as bad as them!)!!
 Astrotoy7
02-18-2004, 10:57 AM
I wouldnt mind that stuff, its people being people, no matter how weird ..... also, they are probably just 'venting' as you are here STTCT....... its therapeutic because there is a (perceived)responsive audience, to a certain degree....

What I do find absolutely unreadable :

1. My sister/brother/uncle/boyfriend/cat/hamster heard that George Lucas said that he is going to make episode 7-9

and to a lesser extent,

2. JA MP Whining threads, how JA isn't better than JO, how all the MP gamers are lamers and n00bs, or honor d00dz.... how no one is as tough as the elite clan you are in...... who cares

MTFBWYA
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
How can we...a scrapbooking forum...help you get over your divorce? I don't mean to be mean, but this is better off asked of a councelor or talked in therapy.

Maybe you have nothing nice to offer, Jen. That, is very clear. But please don't belittle her for feeling as if she can ask us for direction. Geesh! And, counselor is spelled with an 's' not a 'c'.

It just makes me so angry! I know my spelling sucks but geezus! It's a double edged sword, isn't it? My problem here is that most topics are useless - things like 'hmm...' or something like that.

That topic was clear enough, as was the post. And while I think that the virtual community thing is nice - as obviously do the women who've chided you - I think that your post is more true than they are letting themselves believe.

Divorce is a very complex thing - relationships are very difficult and complex, add kids, in-laws and the day-to-day dynamics and ... whew, have I managed 11.5 happy years already? ;) We have friends (mainly the wife) who are splitting up, and it seems like it should be clean and clear, but it is a mess - she's a mess trying to put together a life for herself and her kids, the kids are royally ... well, you know. This isn't something to handle by email or threaded forums - you can't possibly grasp the complex contextual dynamics underlying whetever is happening in that family. She needs friends, family and professional help. My wife is a Creative Memories consultant, so I know that many of the scrapbooking legions are very dedicated family people and just wonderful in general. That doesn't make them qualified to do long-distance diagnosis.

Good luck ... things are much easier with the 'kids' here ;)

Mike
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I wouldnt mind that stuff, its people being people, no matter how weird ..... what I do find absolutely unreadable :

1. My sister/brother/uncle/boyfriend/cat/hamster heard that George Lucas said that he is going to make episode 7-9

and to a lesser extent,

2. JA MP Whining threads, how JA isnt better than JO, how all the MP gamers are lamers and n00bs, or honor d00dz.... how no one is as tough as the elite clan you are in...... who cares

MTFBWYA My point on that stuff - while I tend to agree - is that with judicious use of thread titles, you could avoid wading into yet another thread of n00bz vs. 1337z round 64000 ...

Mike
 Astrotoy7
02-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
My point on that stuff - while I tend to agree - is that with judicious use of thread titles, you could avoid wading into yet another thread of n00bz vs. 1337z round 64000 ...

Mike

In the JA forum I started a thread about EU that tuned into that exact type of fiasco....

let me do the the 6 degrees separation thingy as to how a thread became corrupted by those fools....(and its the *same* ones, EVERY.....SINGLE.....TIME......)

1. EU in JA
2. EU = NJO
3. NJO is BAD
4. NJO FANS = FANBOYS
5. FANBOYS = HONOR CODE PLAYERS
6. HONOR d00dz are lamers/n00bz.....

there you have it, its inevitable !

I feel sorry for Kurgan & Co. That JA forum is one of the few I have noticed where posts get shut down so often.....

ah well

MTFBWYA
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 11:15 AM
It takes but a few to turn a thread into utter crap. I really hate though that you have to sensor yourself accordingly because sometimes people aren't grown up enough to handle certain topics and that rings true from

ages 2-100
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 11:20 AM
you have to sensor yourself I'm sorry to do this, but ...

Main Entry: sensor
Pronunciation: 'sen-"sor, 'sen(t)-s&r
Function: noun
: a device that responds to a physical stimulus (as heat, light, sound, pressure, magnetism, or a particular motion) and transmits a resulting impulse (as for measurement or operating a control)

Main Entry: censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

... as someone who works with and designs sensor systems ... I just cracked up, not that I didn't know your intent - so you were saying something about your spelling ... ? ;)

;) (really!)

Mike
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 11:37 AM
let me do the the 6 degrees separation thingy as to how a thread became corrupted by those fools....(and its the *same* ones, EVERY.....SINGLE.....TIME......)

There are threee things here - sorry to zoom off-topic STTCT ... but it *is* the swamp, after all ...

There are some people who act as 'situational trolls' or 'situational flamers' here. I'd say that last summer with the whole piracy / leaked beta thing I was a 'situational flamer' - when it came up or someone posted something they'd never know without illegal information, I'd be there to come down like a hammer.

But there are the anti-NJO, anti-RPG, anti-JA & JO, anti-console, anti-Mac, etc ... people. They enter what had prospects of being productive and trash it until it gets closed.

2. EU = NJO
5. FANBOYS = HONOR CODE PLAYERS
6. HONOR d00dz are lamers/n00bz.....

there you have it, its inevitable !

I list the critical ones. The whole NJO thing ignites passions stronger and faster than Jar Jar and midichlorians ever did! I'm no fan - but many people are. Peace to them. But the assumption tree you list is true and poisonous to intelligent discourse.

Again, since it is a small group of people, and they have no interest (or so it seems) in being reasonable or civil - they are the ones who will walk into a room where people are watching a show/movie and complain loudly about it, never leave, until it becomes unwatchable for the original viewers. Perhaps they derive some perverse satisfaction from it - but that isn't a matter we can handle for them via forums, eh STTCT ? ;)

I feel sorry for Kurgan & Co. That JA forum is one of the few I have noticed where posts get shut down so often..... It is a large part of why I'm very active before a game comes out, then for a while afterwards, then gradually fall off. But looking lately, the threads don't seem so bad - not like I remember 6 months after JKII. I barely checked in once a week in those days - lots of venomous name-calling. There's the occasional thing - some people who hate Macs and JA and role-playing in MP spend too much time looking to contribute negatively to threads about those topics. But not too terrible.

Oh well ...

Mike
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 11:39 AM
DAMN IT I CAN"T SPELL TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry!! That's what they have Spell Check in word for and when you type 80 words a minute your bound to have some errors! Plus I work graveyard, I'm tired and I have an 11 month old baby who runs me ragged and he's not even walking yet.

Okay I know you guys can find one thing mispelled in there...
 STTCT
02-18-2004, 11:42 AM
And yes - I didn't go to the JA forums for awhile mainly because I became bored with the same arguments and flames being thrown over and over again. Pretty soon it just becomes pointless, old and stagnent.

But see - on these forums that I go to there aren't any active moderaters - there are no locked threads and nobody is reprimanded for their actions, flames and other wise stupid comments.

Here at least - we have Moderaters who actually read our threads - warn those whom which are retarded and there is some order. There..its like every woman for herself!
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 11:58 AM
DAMN IT I CAN"T SPELL TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey - I was just busting on you (sorry, I'm too old to be bustin' on anyone).

It is hard being a parent of small children - my 'baby' turns 6 on Friday ... it is like a revelation when we watch kids for friends who have little ones who are under 3. Our house isn't baby-proof anymore, and you have to *watch* them every second ... I'm glad I love babies :)

Non-moderated forums are a mixed bag. They can be very good because they are typically composed of a small community that becomes very open and trusting and doesn't tolerate much guff - I think of usenet 10 years ago and all of my HP200LX (very old PDA) buddies. But when an influx of irresponsibility arrives ... very difficult to manage.

On the other hand you can have over-managed forums. The MacGamer forums are *tight*. There was a piracy discussion (like 8 pages long or so) that resulted in several people being 'booted for life' for making analogies too close to home.

I don't know why I like it here so much at LucasForums - most other gaming forums I frequent less often (GamerDad, Bioware, Raven, Ritual, etc) but I keep active here. Well - maybe it is because SW are my fave films, and that KotOR, JA, JO are my fave games ...

Mike
 obi
02-18-2004, 12:02 PM

Heh, I've posted that thread a many a time.

......what?
 Astrotoy7
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
There are some people who act as 'situational trolls' or 'situational flamers' here. ....

But there are the anti-Mac, etc ... people. They enter what had prospects of being productive and trash it until it gets closed.

Mike, if you remember *back in the day* on the JA forums, I used to trash talk in the Mac section....I apologise, I was young and stupid :violin:

I am much wiser now :p waitaminit... then what the heck am I doing in the swamp............... *runs off screaming* :p

MTFBWYA
 txa1265
02-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Mike, if you remember *back in the day* on the JA forums, I used to trash talk in the Mac section....I apologise, I was young and stupid As Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter #5 says ... hem, hem.

Of course I remember - but why bring it up. We all grow and change and make mistakes and do things we're not proud of ... my mother is 62 and she made a wondrous time of the holidays for all of us ... and has been running herself ragged trying to make up for it since ... what was that quote about attracting more bees with honey than vinegar ? ;)

But then ... back in the day we used to dump on the kid on our freshman floor who had a IBM with an 8" floppy while we had cool Apple ][+ and ][e's ... and then that 300 baud modem ... ah, the glory! Um, where were we? (I feel like Jolee sometimes ;) ... and act like him too!)

Mike
 Jared
02-18-2004, 5:20 PM

Opening Post:

well we have a really little dog, and she tried to kill me today.
the only problem was, she doesnt realize her teeth can't even scratch me. I think she realized it too. After attemping to bite my ear off, she then begged me for a treat.
hahah.

pwned.

And my personal favorite

i've heard that at just about every damn forum I have ever posted at lol...
 TiE23
02-18-2004, 5:33 PM
Was this the Pot Smokers Ananymos(sp) Forum????!!! :xp:

TiE
 Darth Groovy
02-18-2004, 6:00 PM

All I have to say is today is the official Hug your Lucasforums moderator today!

Can I have my hug now?:(
 ExcelsioN
02-18-2004, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by Tie 23
Was this the Pot Smokers Ananymos(sp) Forum????!!! :xp:

:rofl: It could be, from what they post it sounds like they're on it.

Anyways, the JA forum is, definatley, the nearest to becoming junk. I go there about once a month, and theres always a 22 page thread about Honour and Noobs and stuff....
 DarkLord60
02-18-2004, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
:rofl: It could be, from what they post it sounds like they're on it.

Anyways, the JA forum is, definatley, the nearest to becoming junk. I go there about once a month, and theres always a 22 page thread about Honour and Noobs and stuff....

Thats all I ever hear about so I stopped posting there
 Boba Rhett
02-18-2004, 7:00 PM
Hugs are nice and all... but I need money! :fist:

:xp:
 BongoBob
02-18-2004, 9:07 PM
*hands rhett 5 million in unmarked, unconsecutive bills*

Don't ask where I got them, just take them.
>_>
<_<

Anyhow, I really want the adress of that forum. I just want to see it for myself. I probably wouldn't even join. PM me with the adress plz :)

:)
 RoxStar
02-18-2004, 9:11 PM

We haven't had that goin before? I'm ashamed of myself...:(
 STTCT
02-19-2004, 4:31 AM
*grabs rhett and groovy and hugs them*

I don't give cash...just love!
 Jared
02-19-2004, 10:54 AM
notice how they don't reply after that.
 Darklighter
02-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Just goes to show how sensible, nice and caring Star Wars fans are compared to everyone else ^^; ...

*goes to delete account on Scrapbooking forum*

>_> Phew, don't think they saw...
 Boba Rhett
02-20-2004, 1:07 AM
Ok ok, hugs'll do.

*puts on his hugging gloves, unfolds lawn chair and puts up a sign reading "open for hugging"*

Everyone come get some Rhett. :rhett:
 Sivy
02-20-2004, 10:47 AM
:eek: huggles!

*runs towards rhett arm open wide*

*dodges banana skin*

*trips over monkey*

ow.... er, maybe later
 STTCT
02-20-2004, 11:30 AM
hugging gloves :confused:
 STTCT
02-20-2004, 11:41 AM
There is still more drama in that forum...though I'm posting some rather sarcastic remarks...maybe they'll get my humour!!

Stupid Threads Cont.

1. But I'm too young to wear depends!

l---I am not going to touch this one - but if I ever post that here...you have my permission to come to CA and slap me.

2. Do you ever loose clothes?
"I hope that I'm not the only Pea absent-minded enough to lose clothes! I have search my entire place trying to find t-shirt, and I can't find it anywhere! What is really bad is that I've only worn it once.... I wanted to scan it for a LO that I'm planning, and of course it's not in my closet "

me - Whenver I'm alone in the bedroom with my husband clothes tend to get lost

Thinking to myself: gee...looking at her picture and she must weigh at least 300 pounds...how does she loose these monstrosities!

3. My Cat Poops on the Couch!
"Man, do I have a problem. Beloved kitty poops on the couch about once a week. Litterbox is fine, as he has done the little deed just hours after I've changed it. At first, we were rubbing his little nose in it, talking sternly, and then giving him a nice cold shower whenever he did it. This seemed to work for awhile and we were going a few months between incidences. But lately, it doesn't seem to be working. He seems very fussy and meowy right before the accidents and if we don't pay attention to him, off he goes to poop on the couch...so we are thinking it is some sort of twisted plea for attention. Although, he gets tons of attention between us and his two other little kitty housemates. So what's the deal? How can I break him of this habit...I'm getting really sick of cleaning couches. "

My responce: Get a plastic couch cover! and EWWW what's next my dog sh!ts in my bed?

4. Do parents not teach their children Telephone manners anymore?

Opening post long read:
have had it with DS's friends calling him all the time and not leaving messages. I use the answering machine to screen my calls so that I don't have to answer unwanted solicitation phone calls.

Last Friday there were 16 hang-up phone calls on the answering machine; I was trying to take a nap and was still recovering from having been in the hospital. I was NOT amused. Last night there were four.

I have told DS several times to inform his friends that this is driving us nuts. To call once, leave a message and wait for him to call back. They don't pay any attention to this. He said he has told them and they don't like machines. So what? It's the polite thing to do!

I think this is incredibly rude behavior. I'm about to call up all of their parents and have a good long talk about manners (or lack of them) or start blocking these kids' phone numbers from my phone. I don't want to embarrass my son by being the mom from hell, but we're really feeling harassed when the phone is ringing all the time and we can't tell who is calling.

Random Responces:
Sorry, but I think you are overreacting. I myself do not always care to "leave" a message. Why don't you get caller ID and screen your calls that way OR get your son his own cell phone for his friends to call? Better yet - sign up on the national do not call list and most of the sales calls should stop

Posted: 2/19/2004 6:47:33 PM
uh oh - I don't leave a message if I'm calling just to chat. I'm not sure how that is rude.

Her responce:

What is so scary about a tiny little answering machine anyway? You use a big scary computer. What's the diff?

ROFL - these women!
 Astrotoy7
02-20-2004, 11:48 AM
I still dont think much of this stuff is that 'awful', it's just an exhibition of the mundanities of life.... any of those people could glimpse the JA forum and see a pack of immature runts fighting over how good they are at a video game and think "my, what an awful topic"...or come in here and read "ewww, whale guts splatted everywhere...." and think similar things.....

different horses for different courses, simple as that.....

what I mean to say, is that we are no better(or no worse) than them.....

MTFBWYA
 STTCT
02-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Oh please...we've never posted about our cats ****ting on our furniture!
 Astrotoy7
02-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Oh please...we've never posted about our cats ****ting on our furniture!

c'mon, we also don't sit around talking about the philosphical idioms of plato, aristotle and socrates.....

we are no better

and Im sure, somewehere in the history of the swamp, and lucasforums, there has been an equally banal post.....

MTFBWYA
Page: 1 of 1