Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Collecting S&M comics

Page: 1 of 1
 Brushguy
02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm out to collect all the Sam and Max comics (not all the individual books and compilations mind you - just the comics). I've got almost all of them, except for the 12 printed in the early Adventurer newsletters. Nobody on eBay seems to be selling them, so where could I find some scans (besides the three on samandmax.net, which I have)?
 Jake
02-17-2004, 11:22 PM
They're definitely in the Surfin the Highway collection, which despite being rare, is far easier to come across than the old Adventurer issues.

That said, if youre absolutely out of luck, you can probably find scans of Surfin the Highway around if you go looking on your own.
 toenail1
02-18-2004, 12:52 AM
old adventurers are rare??? i have one of them from when i was little

http://www.roko.goe.net/~s140743/_html/main.htm)

they have all of the adventurer comics and a couple other strips (plus its a great website)
 Jake
02-18-2004, 5:41 AM
Whoa he *does* have them all up, I didn't know that. I intentionally only ran the comics on samandmax.net that are ridiculously hard to find, since they aren't available in the Sufrin the Highway book. Of course, now that Surfin the Highway has become impossible to find, I guess that's the case for all Sam & Max comics. I wish they'd put out a new collection soon.

And for the record, with a few exceptions (like the Adventurer comics), from what I can tell, Alex's Sam & Max page's content is basically a clone of my site, which is kind of annoying.
 flint paper
02-18-2004, 8:50 AM
What’s wrong Jake, you are sounding nervous, as if Alex is cutting into your territory. I would be worried as well, especially since the site has not been updated since 2001. We all better practice up on our guerrilla warfare.

Jake, I have never been able to find scans of surfing the highway on the net, and trust me I have looked. Further more, I have never been able to find a scan of "Sam & Max in the Office" from the fox kids magazine.

Anyone knows where either of these fine periodicals can be obtained, because purchasing them in Australia is not a viable option. They are just too damn rare.
 manny_c444
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
I bet you could find it on a P2p network...one specifically. But we can't talk about that, now can we?;)
 Jake
02-18-2004, 6:34 PM
Considering I've found a full scan of surfin the highway before surely someone else can :) One might even find a thread about it on this very forum if they looked hard enough.

And I don't really care about Alex's site, but back when it opened it definitely raised a couple of my eyebrows. It is a nice site though.
 Skinkie
02-18-2004, 8:55 PM
You mean nice... and invasive on your territory.
 Jake
02-18-2004, 9:07 PM
Nah, the more Sam & Max sites the better... its just sort of cheezy to steal stuff. Of course I stole stuff when I started my site too, but I credited the sources stolen from at the bottom of the pages.
 manny_c444
02-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Well atleast his site looks different. I mean the background colors and stuff..........*cough*.
 Brushguy
02-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanx for the link! But I thought Alex's site was declared dead! :confused:

Quote:
----------------
Jake, I have never been able to find scans of surfing the highway on the net, and trust me I have looked. Further more, I have never been able to find a scan of "Sam & Max in the Office" from the fox kids magazine.
---------------

As far as I know, "Sam and Max in the Office" is the same thing as "Something's Not Right Here." Somebody could help out us Sam and Max fans and get on eBay, & bid for the 1998 issues of Fox Kids Magazine, if somebody's doing that. I wish I was into Fox Kids back in 1998 so I could have enjoyed Sam and Max. :( But I didn't become a fan of theirs until 1999 when Digimon was aired.

Quote:
---------------
Anyone knows where either of these fine periodicals can be obtained, because purchasing them in Australia is not a viable option. They are just too @$%^ rare.
---------------

Your best bet is eBay. That's where I got the Sam and Max comics. It just takes patience until somebody puts them up for auction. Then you get vicious! :bdroid2:

By the way, did you notice the $75 Collected Sam and Max currently on eBay, SIGNED BY STEVE PURCELL HIMSELF!!!!!!!
 toenail1
02-19-2004, 1:36 AM
thats what im here for
 Brushguy
02-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Jake, if you are ABSOLUTELY SURE "Something's Not Right Here" is contained in the Spring 1998 issue, I'll start browsing eBay for it. If I ever get it, I'll scan it and get it up here. :rolleyes:
 Jake
02-19-2004, 4:50 PM
Dont hold me or my comicography to anything :P I won't refund your purchase or something.
 Samnmax221
02-19-2004, 11:26 PM
If I was just 5 years younger I could own all those
 Brushguy
02-20-2004, 3:11 PM
Nobody seems to be auctioning any issues of Fox Kids Club, so would it be possible to get back orders from them now? :confused:
 Samnmax221
02-20-2004, 7:11 PM
I doubt it Fox kids is now the FOX BOX and they dropped the series years ago 7 to be exact
 Skinkie
02-21-2004, 4:08 AM
Sad... very sad, I still love the show.
 manny_c444
02-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Well according to the news post our comic-book woes will end soon (sooner than later I should say). Since Purcell wants to re-release. This is great news.
 flint paper
02-24-2004, 4:57 AM
For those who are wondering, Manny was referring to the new news at www.samandmax.net). For those to lazy to click the link, set eyes to read on:

A couple quick updates for the curious. Many people recently have been wondering how to get a hold of Sam & Max comics. Its become especially difficult ever since the Surfin' the Highway compilation book was discontinued a few years back. Reader Tom Lau wrote in to say he asked Steve Purcell if and when a new comic collection would be made available, and here's his answer:

That's probably the most asked question I've heard in the past few months. Yeah, that collection will come out again, [...] just have to pin down the gruesome details.

We'll have more news on a reprint of Surfin the Highway (or a new different-named collection) if and when any more news presents itself.

For those like myself, his is very good news indeed. I never had the opportunity to buy the comics and I would really like to get my hands on a copy.
 JBlink
02-25-2004, 3:20 AM
Im happy, but not totally convinced.
 LordKlay
02-25-2004, 1:03 PM
I actually own Surfin' The Highway, 2 Sam and Max comic books, printed by Comico an Fishwrap and a few Adventurers from back in the day. Unfortunately for anyone looking for this stuff, I got all of these things quite a few years ago (except for the comic books which I got at a con for $20 each). I would suggest going to comic conventions. I have actually seen a few copies of Adventurer there.
 Dr Edison 007
03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
So with the game cancellation, is the new book coming out? I have the collected, but it's in ragged shape (I got it from a library.)
 Skinkie
03-10-2004, 4:02 AM
You stole it from the library?
 Dr Edison 007
03-10-2004, 9:40 AM
No, I didn't. I made a deal with them.
 Azuka
03-28-2004, 4:18 PM
Maybe I can fill in some of the missing TOTALLY FOX KIDS info. I own several of them. They were free if you subscribed back then but for some reason they have a $1 price on the covers.

Here's what I have and the Sam and Max info:

August 1997:
Sam and Max on the cover. They're the centerpiece of a group shot showing most of the new Fox kid's show...Louie Anderson is the only other character I can recognize. Sam is holding an Oscar.

Spring 1998:
Centerfold covers 2 pages. Shows Sam and Max in their office with every oddball thing imaginable around them. "Purcell" is written on the ant farm Max is holding...although it contains people instead of ants. Is this the "Sam and Max in the office" piece I see listed on various websites? It's not a strip but a 2 page centerfold/drawing.

Summer 1998:
"Action Figure Surgery."

Other things I have that I don't see listed (and not from FOX):

A poster/ad for S&M Surfin' the Highway. Reproduces the cover and is ~ 14"x18."

I bought a S&M print from Steve Purcell at Wondercon several years ago (also got the t-shirt and moving pen). The print is numbered 40/500 and is ~ 14"x18." Steve also gave us an Italian version of the game. He had some in several languages and we chose Italian. "Arrivaderciiiii Sam and Max!!!"

I also have "shelftalker"...a stand up ad for the game. It's about 14"x4." It has S&M holding a gun on one side...a rat eating a fig newton is emerging from the barrel...and Blurbs on the other..."Adventure Game of the Year." "Golden Triad Award" and stuff like that. "Look for the CD-ROM 'talkie' version."

Hope that info helps.
 Jake
03-28-2004, 7:03 PM
Ah that's great, thanks!

Any chance of getting a pic of that "shelftalker" or whatever its called? I haven't seen that before (and now want one).
 Samnmax221
03-28-2004, 9:26 PM
It sucks because fox was'nt a local channel untill about 5 years ago so I got screwed
 Azuka
03-29-2004, 1:56 PM
Sure. I'll see if I can get it scanned this week. I'll scan the shelftalker, the cover of the first FOX KIDS news and the 2 page centerfold of Sam and Max in the office.

The print is too big to scan...plus I have it framed and matted.

I haven't checked the samandmax.net front page yet but there must be info about where one can send pix/scans.
 Jake
03-29-2004, 5:44 PM
email to freelancepolice at samandmax.net , but replace the " at " with an @ etc etc :)
 Azuka
04-02-2004, 6:31 AM
Just e-mailed 5 scans:

August 97 cover of FOX KIDS

Action Figure Surgury

"Shelftalker" - ad for the game

The 2 page centerfold from FOX KIDS

The Key to "Something's Not Right Here" - detailing what is 'not right' in the centerfold.

Sorry about the size but I wanted to send good quality scans...feel free to size to your needs.
 Pork_Soda
04-02-2004, 8:36 PM
Just a couple days ago I got my first Sam & Max comic, it was "Bad Day on the Moon", I just asked my local comic book store about anything Sam & Max and they said the could just put a vague order on it. (Sorta like "If anything comes in, we'll send it here.") I payed $3.50 CAD for it, I thought that was a pretty good price. It was in excellent shape too, only a couple of crease marks around the spine. :D I'm still hoping they find more. I also got the tapes off of the videoflicks website as well, good stuff those tapes.
 Azuka
04-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Congrats on your score Pork.

Where did you find the tapes? I've looked at www.videoflicks.com) but they always had the tapes listed as "not available."

I have some episodes I taped when they aired on FOX but I'm missing some...some on the tapes and some not.
 Pork_Soda
04-03-2004, 2:19 AM
I'm sorry dude, I ordered them a while ago when they were still available, I got them in a 3 pack. What you can try is looking on eBAY. Other then that, just call videoflicks or something. I guess you waited to long. *shrug*
 Azuka
04-04-2004, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've been a Sam and Max fan for a long time but until recently I didn't know some of the TV show episodes had been released commercially. I just finished converting my old taped-from-television episodes to DVD which reminded me I was missing some episodes.

They did some funny things when they originally aired the S&M here...showed some, then mixed some repeats in with a few new ones then stopped. I'm not sure they aired all of the series in the area I live in.

I'll keep looking, thanks.
 I am speed
04-06-2004, 3:27 AM
I got the Sam & Max Freelance Police Special from Square Deal Online (http://www.squaredealonline.com/) , and it looks like they still have at least one copy left! If you want it, check it out..... it'll only set you back 8.98 with shipping. (the condition is listed as fine)
 Samnmax221
04-09-2004, 8:24 AM
I'v been screwed every time surfin the highway comes up on ebay it gets pumped up past 40 $ and my mom won't let me waste my money!

I geuse I'm stuck with Bad day on the moon for good!
 Azuka
05-22-2004, 7:16 PM
Still no posting of those scans I sent in March. Hmmmmm.....
 Jake
05-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Hm I should update the site sometime...
 Jester
05-26-2004, 6:24 PM
Let's not be rash.
 SyntheticGerbil
05-29-2004, 2:54 AM
Report. Destroy the site. I dare you.
 Scummbuddy
05-23-2005, 9:11 AM
That dirty jerkoff batroy snuck in at the last seconds of bidding on eBay to steal "The Collected SAM & MAX Surfin' the Highway --MINT NR" from me.

You can check out the bid war that happened in the last 18 seconds, as he had to pay in the 70's to top my highest bid.

The only thing that makes me okay, is that he payed over 40 bucks higher than what it was going for, for most of the time.

I'm still really pissed, though. I wanted it so badly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6533275370&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1)
 Scummbuddy
05-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Update: if anyone cares.... the bidder that one-up'd me the other day was unable to pay, so it came back to me as a "second chance" to pay my highest bid, right away. So I took it.

Apparently the seller was non other than Steve Purcell, himself. I became a giddy little school boy when he wrote me about the book. And he said for me paying so much, I got this also...

http://www.lucasstyle.com/images/forscottsmall.JPG)
Page: 1 of 1