Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modding question

Page: 1 of 1
 Crunchy
02-17-2004, 8:05 PM
Yellow, im new to modding, completely new, i was wondering if i needed to know something like a computer language or something to do this, can a person who had never did this thing before mod? and if so, is there a step by step walkthrough of a training mod someone might could give a link to or tell me? or just copy and paste... is it something where i can just download some tutorials and remember what to do from then or do to have to know ALL the technical crap?
 Kitty Kitty
02-17-2004, 8:16 PM
Depends what you want to do exactly.

For now, we're semi-limited in our capabilities as some files haven't been cracked yet as to format and the like.. most notably the .mdl files used for the model meshes.

However... you can do reskins with just enough knowledge of how to recolor pixels in a paint program..

You can change items and creatures with a few simple data fields... whether it be in the 2da files or some of the .uti files or the like. In most of those cases though, provided you use a capable tool (I reccomend kotor_tool by Fred Tetra), it's pretty easy.

Now if you want to get serious, you'll probably run inro situations that require you to do some scripting. If so, a little knowledge of a language along the lines of C/C++ would be helpful, but not really required. The script files (source) have a very similar structure to C in a lot of ways, but if you rip apart some source files (anything.nss) you can probably figure out how things work with a bit of effort.

As for tutorials, there's tons of helpful threads buried on these forums, and Talchia (sorry if I spelled that wrong) has a few tutorials on their site as well.

Best suggestion would be to look over the downloads page, do some searches and read some threads here, check out what tutorials you can find, and then try to get familiar with some programs and such (like kotor_tool). After that, decide on a few minor (at first) changes, and after making backups of the apropriate files, tinker around a bit and see what you can acomplish. Best way to learn this stuff is by doing it, and frankly, since there's this whole "no modding" standpoint coming from somewhere or another, that's all any of us have been doing so far anyway.

Hope that's at least a little bit helpful. ;)

-Kitty
 Crunchy
02-17-2004, 8:21 PM
i havent gottan started on anything yet, im at work, but i didnt understand much about that, but hopefully when i get some tutorials i will, anyway, will the design process be digging through files and such, if and when i design something, will it be in full upright position? (as if it were in the game) how does it work? just the skin and measures?
 Criminal
02-17-2004, 8:48 PM
find the thread i started called..."making lightsabers"t7 helped me out with all the links i needed....very technical though.....im tempted to write one from the noob perspective. being a noob myself....
 Crunchy
02-17-2004, 8:50 PM
Thank you that thread helps alot
 T7nowhere
02-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Another great resource is Bioware's NWN Dev section http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/)
Page: 1 of 1