Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Damn the Yankeers

Page: 1 of 1
 --ZeeMan--
02-15-2004, 3:42 PM
they have just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money! just "purchased" the contract of A-Rod from texas :-(
 Phizzle
02-15-2004, 4:15 PM
English, mother****er! Do you speak it?
 Reborn Outcast
02-15-2004, 5:25 PM
Yea, and speaking as a Red Sox fan... DOWNSIZE THE YANKS!
 leXX
02-15-2004, 5:27 PM
The hell? Any more crap like that from you Phizzle and I'm hitting the ban button, got it?
 Boba Rhett
02-15-2004, 5:35 PM
I'm guessing he recently watched Pulp Fiction, leXX. ;)

I don't know much about baseball but I'll go with ya on this one, Zee. :thumbsup:
 ET Warrior
02-15-2004, 6:19 PM
Baseball needs a salary cap. I don't really like baseball, but they get paid waaaay too much.
 DarkLord60
02-15-2004, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Baseball needs a salary cap. I don't really like baseball, but they get paid waaaay too much.

I agree with you on that one baseball is highly over rated.
 Kylilin
02-16-2004, 3:01 AM
For the rest of the country, baseball is overrated, but in the Northeast, baseball is a bonafide religion.

I'm a Bronx native, which means I live, eat, breathe, smell, taste, sleep, fart and everything else New York Yankees since I was born in 1978 (which by the way, they won the World Series that year).

So, everyone can cry an ocean about how the Yankees have all the money in the world. It's almost totally nonsense, and I'll tell you why, you can make of it what you wish.

Almost every other owner in baseball is as rich, or richer than George Steinbrenner. The difference between the rest of the owners and The Boss is that Steinbrenner is willing to pay the kind of money it takes to sign the best players. Most of the owners see the teams that they own as a business venture, which it is, but, they run it like a business, which means cutting spending to gain more profit. It's a smart business philosophy, but it doesn't quite work that way for baseball. What they fail to realize is that in baseball, winning makes you more profit than keeping payroll down. And that is Steinbrenner's philosophy, win, just win.

I think more owners should have the guts it takes to take the kind of risks that Steinbrenner takes. I'm sure every serious baseball fan who knows about the game wishes that someone like Steinbrenner would own the team they root for. He goes all out to win, you may not like it, but you have to respect it.
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 2:07 PM
they need to take that team away from steinbrenner (sp), he's just a greedy idiot that buys his franchise a world series each year.
 XERXES
02-16-2004, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by --ZeeMan--
they have just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money! just "purchased" the contract of A-Rod from texas :-( no, A-Rod liked the pin stripes.
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 2:26 PM
he's just pissed because he has no world series rings and jeter has 3 (i think) already.
 --ZeeMan--
02-16-2004, 2:31 PM
bobba rhett: basically the yankees have about 180 million to spend a year and a team that has 25 players on it....well that comes down to a little over 7 million a player. and say like the tampa bay devil rays? i think they have something like 70 million for 25 players........

and what probably upsets people the most about they yankees is that steinbrenner "buys" championships instead of "playing" for them. because joe torre (the general manager of the team) is about to me fired. why? because he's not winning any more championships EVEN though they yankees have won the most regulara season games in the past decade or so.

and btw I'M A RED SOX FAN TOO.....although last year had it beena cubs-red sox world series i honestly dont' know who i'd root for :-D
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 2:38 PM
most teams try to stick under 80 million and there are quite a few that use 50 million. A sallery cap at like 70 million is more than enough for the players. that's almost 3 million a player, if i had 3 million a year for doing a job i love to do i'd shut up and take it.
 Kylilin
02-16-2004, 3:02 PM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
he's just pissed because he has no world series rings and jeter has 3 (i think) already.

Jeter has 4 rings by the way.

bobba rhett: basically the yankees have about 180 million to spend a year and a team that has 25 players on it....well that comes down to a little over 7 million a player. and say like the tampa bay devil rays? i think they have something like 70 million for 25 players........

and what probably upsets people the most about they yankees is that steinbrenner "buys" championships instead of "playing" for them.

and btw I'M A RED SOX FAN TOO.....although last year had it beena cubs-red sox world series i honestly dont' know who i'd root for :-D

From the 1998 - 2000 seasons, the Yankees won 3 World Series, all with a core group of players. Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettite, Alfonso Soriano, Shane Spencer, Ramiro Mendoza, all of these guys were key parts of the Yankee lineup, and they all came up through the Yankee farm system. Not to mention guys like Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, David Cone, and Darryl Strawberry, who had been on the Yankees for a few years before they started winning World Series.

So take the "hired gun" routine and shove it, cause it doesn't work.

Also, a lot of people are blaming the Yankees like they committed some sort of crime. They followed the rules of the agreement that was in place, agreed upon by the players and the owners. Boston could have had A-Rod 2 months ago, they didn't get him because they didn't want to pay him an extra 2 million dollars a year, to me and you thats a lifetime of cash, but to a major league organization, thats chump change. What it came down to was not that the Red Sox couldn't afford it, they were just not willing to pay, there's a big, big difference.

because joe torre (the general manager of the team) is about to me fired. why? because he's not winning any more championships EVEN though they yankees have won the most regulara season games in the past decade or so.

When you're a Yankee fan, having a winning season isn't enough. Excuse us for having high standards and actually expecting our team to win the World Series every year.
 --ZeeMan--
02-16-2004, 3:33 PM
so why don't we just eliminate 29 teams and make it easier for you? ;-)

but see that's the thing. if a team continues to have success year after year after year, they lose excitement for the non-die-hard fans. i'm not doubting the yankees skill as a team, but you kinda want to see other players and their teams finally achieve that level of greatness that they yankees are at...ie john elway with the denver broncos and ray bourque with the colorado avalanche....i mean seriously not many other people will care if jeter gets another ring but they will be excited if say like barry bonds, mike piazza, pedro martinez and nomar garciaparra, or sammy sosa can earn a ring. years from now, what's going to be remembered more? the yankees winning another pennant or say like the cubs/red sox "breaking the curse" or another low budget team (angels/marlins) coming through to a level of greatness
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 5:27 PM
that's a disatvantage of baseball wheras football is a toss up each year no matter what. 90%of the time a new team wins the superbowl each year. I started to lose respect for baseball in 94 when the strike screwed the expos out of a world series title. anyway i grew up watching the indians and no matter how good their team is they will never win a world series.

back to the subject... their's a team like the yankees in every sport, always trying to buy their way to success instead of just playing baseball and having fun.
 Kylilin
02-16-2004, 9:52 PM
so why don't we just eliminate 29 teams and make it easier for you? ;-)

but see that's the thing. if a team continues to have success year after year after year, they lose excitement for the non-die-hard fans. i'm not doubting the yankees skill as a team, but you kinda want to see other players and their teams finally achieve that level of greatness that they yankees are at...ie john elway with the denver broncos and ray bourque with the colorado avalanche....i mean seriously not many other people will care if jeter gets another ring but they will be excited if say like barry bonds, mike piazza, pedro martinez and nomar garciaparra, or sammy sosa can earn a ring.

Isn't it odd, that when the Yankees are the best team in baseball, baseball seems to get really popular? Baseball needs the Yankees to be good so everyone else can have someone to hate. It's why stadium attendance skyrockets when the Yankees come to town.

years from now, what's going to be remembered more? the yankees winning another pennant or say like the cubs/red sox "breaking the curse" or another low budget team (angels/marlins) coming through to a level of greatness

Whats going to be remembered more is the Yankees adding another World Series title to their most current dynasty. The only thing that could possibly overshadow that is if the red sox or the cubs win the world series.

Face it, I know its hard to do, but the Yankees are good for baseball, they are what is right about baseball. A team so dedicated to winning they are willing to spend whatever it takes to win. Who wouldn't want to root for that?
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 9:59 PM
nothing really makes baseball popular anymore, the 94 strike really hurt. you can trace the beginning of the end of baseball back to free agency in 72/73. not that i hate baseball but it's just not the same anymore regardless of the yankees or any other club. IMO.
 Rad Blackrose
02-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Isn't it odd, that when the Yankees are the best team in baseball, baseball seems to get really popular? Baseball needs the Yankees to be good so everyone else can have someone to hate. It's why stadium attendance skyrockets when the Yankees come to town.

Oh so damn true.

I have gone to Fenway twice in my life. One game it was the Sox vs. Toronto, the other was Sox vs. Yankees (this was when Clemens was still pitching for the Sox, he pitched that night. I was f'ing estatic). The Toronto game probably had about the range of 70-85% capacity full. When the Yanks came to town, Fenway was PACKED.

Good times. Very good times.
 --ZeeMan--
02-17-2004, 5:00 AM
only reason it was packed is cus red sox-yankees is like oil and water. they flat out don't like each other and it's a very heated rivalvry. secondly...i really hate to burst your pride bubble but mark mcgwire and sammy sosa bring in crowds.....as does randy johnson, and other high profile players. and i know a lot of people that "root for the underdog" because it so much entertainment when the underdog does win. **cough cough angels, diamondbacks, marlins cough cough** and my point was proven this year in the nfl. i'm sorry but everyone NOT in the new england states was rooting for carolina and carolina almost pulled off an upset and in turn provided the most entertaining superbowl to date. the diamondbacks beating the yankees in 7 games in the last 2 innings? heroic. i can tell you now that curt shilling and randy johnson pitched that game and riviera (sp?) lost the game. can i remember who won the games for when the yankees won the world series? truth is no i can't. hopefully i've proved to you that i am a baseball nut that has a knowledge of the game....and if i can't remember who won....then it obviously wasn't that important. and in years past, teams that have beaten the yankees are often ranked as "one of the more memorable moments in sports this year" whereas i cannot recall "yankees win another pennant" reaching such newcasting highs
 IG-64
02-17-2004, 5:07 AM
*stares into space with a stupid look on his face*
 Darth Groovy
02-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Hockey > Baseball
 Kylilin
02-17-2004, 12:58 PM
i really hate to burst your pride bubble but mark mcgwire and sammy sosa bring in crowds.....as does randy johnson, and other high profile players.

Ahem...last season the New York Yankees, totales 3,465,600 in attendance at home. They totaled 2,191,745 on the road.

To make it clear to you the drawing power of the New York Yankees, I'll give you another example. Last season, The Baltimore Orioles played the Detroit Tiger 3 times at Detroit, the total attendance for those 3 games was 27,006 for all three games. The New York Yankees also went into Detroit for a 3 game series, the total attendance at Detroit's stadium while the Yankees were playing was 97,057, a bump of over 70,000 people.

Here, I'll even make you a little table.

Opponent Home Dates Home Att.
Anaheim 4 78,036
Arizona 3 67,475
Baltimore 3 27,006
Boston 3 73,573
Colorado 3 57,795
Los Angeles 3 40,779
Yankees 3 97,057
Oakland 6 83,639
Seattle 3 57,178
Tampa Bay 3 40,898
Texas 3 38,987
Toronto 6 75,845

Sorry I couldn't get the spacing right, but you can clearly see that in an equal amount of games, the Yankees outdraw every other team by far, the even outdraw teams who have more games. So, there goes your theory down the toilet. Wanna try again?

P.S. here's the link of you don't believe me: http://slam.canoe.ca/Baseball/attendance.html)
 Rogue Nine
02-17-2004, 4:15 PM
Oh, let's hate the Yankees because they keep winning! That's like saying, let's hate the Chicago Bulls of the mid-90's because they won year after year. That's like saying let's hate the Boston Celtics for winning in the 70's because they kept winning every year. Same thing with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Montreal Canadiens. Any time a team wins a lot, you hate them. You don't hate them because they spent a lot of money, because they're "bad" for the sport. Hell, look at the New York Rangers. They're like the Yankees of hockey, only they can't win for ****. They've got Eric Lindross, Alexei Kovalev, Brian Leetch, Bobby Holik, Mark Messier and most recently, Jaromir Jagr. But they absolutely SUCK. The amount of money you spend and the players you bring in matter very little if you can't win. Nobody's mad at the Rangers for hording talent because they don't win. But everyone's mad at the Yankees because they win. They know how to win. Year after year, no matter what the circumstances, they are perennial postseason contenders. And for that, the rest of the baseball world hates them. Because they're bitter. Especially those chumps in Boston. Don't blame the Yankees for your inability to win. Blame the people who deserve the blame. Start with Harry Frazee. End off with Theo Epstein, Manny Ramirez and of course, John Henry Williams. Keep being bitter.

And for the record, I've been a Yankee fan since 1992, when they were mired in one of the worst times of their storied history. So don't be accusing fans of jumping the bandwagon.

(Oh, by the way. We just acquired Ted Williams's frozen head for a few pixie sticks and some of George Steinbrenner's navel lint. Hope you're okay with that. Cheers.)
 dark jedi 8
02-18-2004, 12:46 AM
New York fans in general are so damn finicky! One day they like torri, after a game where he screws up and makes one mistake then all of a sudden they hate him. (no wonder he wants to leave). I'm not saying all new york fans are skeptical but at least 80% in attendance at a given game can't wait for the yankees to screw up so they have something else to boo at. I go to pleny of indians games, and their fans are very loyal but also judgemental and right now the indians suck, but they still have fan support, even though attendance dropped. and if the yankees sucked i bet they would see at least a 40% drop in attendance over night.

i kinda lost track of where i was going but whenever a team sucks, many fans drop off until the team is good again. fans of all teams are the same way, always jumping the bandwagon.

( p.s. the red sox just got babe, mickey, and that iron guy for a " i hate the yankees" T-shirt and an autograph of manny ramirez):p :cool:
 Kylilin
02-18-2004, 3:11 AM
I have to agree with some of what you said, there are a lot, I mean, a lot of bandwagon Yankee fans out there. They are the people who give Yankee fans a bad name. The real Yankee fans, the peopl who rooted for the Yanks when Mattingly was hurt and Kevin Maas was the first baseman, those people are the true fans, and they are as loyal as any fans you can find in the world.

I support Joe Torre no matter what decision he makes, but being in New York, where the Yankees are a religion, his moves are going to be analyzed and over analyzed, its just the nature of New Yorkers.
 ET Warrior
02-18-2004, 4:25 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Hockey > Baseball

I'd say...this sums it up. :D
 the_raven_03
02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree with Darth Groovy and ET Warrior. Baseball doesn't even come close to hockey on the coolness scale.
 ZBomber
02-21-2004, 1:06 AM
Originally posted by the_raven_03
I agree with Darth Groovy and ET Warrior. Baseball doesn't even come close to hockey on the coolness scale.

But guess what! This thread isn't about Hockey! Back to your hockey thread! :p

Really stupid on the Yankees part. Going to a Yankee game is gonna cost you Yankee fans BIG bucks.

Doesn't bother me much. We don't need A-Rod. We already have good basemen. If we need anything, its more (better) pitchers.
 Darth Exar Kun
02-21-2004, 1:45 AM
Doesn't bother me much. We don't need A-Rod. We already have good basemen. If we need anything, its more (better) pitchers. ironic the cubs dont need more but they got one

Go Cubs
 Captain Wilson
02-23-2004, 5:47 PM
you think thats bad, look at footy in uk. Scary. As i know more on the working of the spleen then base ball i shall leave with....
 Reborn Outcast
02-23-2004, 6:31 PM
Originally posted by Kylilin
Ahem...last season the New York Yankees, totales 3,465,600 in attendance at home. They totaled 2,191,745 on the road.

And then take a look at all the high profile players they have on their lineup. And for craps and giggles...

Kenny Lofton
Derek Jeter
Alex Rodriguez
Jason Giambi
Gary Sheffield
Jorge Posada
Hideki Matsui
Enrique Wilson
Ruben Sierra

THAT'S THE LINEUP! THAT'S INSANE. That's the reason people come to watch. Do you think they come because they hope their Devil Rays can beat the Yankees? No, they come for the players.

Originally posted by Rogue Nine
Oh, let's hate the Yankees because they keep winning! That's like saying, let's hate the Chicago Bulls of the mid-90's because they won year after year. That's like saying let's hate the Boston Celtics for winning in the 70's because they kept winning every year.

No, they didn't have insane amounts of money and amazingly high profile players. They we're just plain GOOD. They had talent from obscured players. Go ahead and name some players from the 70's Celtics besides Bird, and possibly Danny Aigne.

End off with Theo Epstein, Manny Ramirez and of course, John Henry Williams. Keep being bitter.

Actually... Theo Epstein was the greatest thing to happen to the Red Sox.

They know how to win. Year after year, no matter what the circumstances, they are perennial postseason contenders. And for that, the rest of the baseball world hates them.

Actually it's because of their high-profile players, and for the past years, ONLY the Red Sox have been their contenders in the AL East. And even then, the Yanks blew 'em away. But this year, the Orioles are STACKED, and the Blue Jays are good. And the Red Sox got even better with their AMAZING pithing line-up. Darth Vader down there in Yank Town made a huge blunder by not going for amazing pitching. This year the competition is more tough, so the Yanks won't be able to walk their way through like they always have.
 dark jedi 8
02-24-2004, 8:18 PM
a little off topic but watch out for the...
angels
pirates
red sox
indians

they could have a big effect on their devisions this year.:cool:
 ZBomber
02-25-2004, 1:51 AM
And I know this is off topic, but I thought it was funny how "Darth Vader" sad he didn't like his team being called the "evil empire. :D"

That was said about a response to something Epstein said about A-Rod...... :D
 Rogue Nine
02-25-2004, 2:57 AM
When the Yankees won their last World Series in 2000, they didn't have a good deal of their "high-profile" current lineup. Back then, it was still the core group of Yankees going strong from '96. It pains me to say it, but the Yanks haven't won themselves any World Series with their current high-price talent. They won those championships on talent and timely hitting and pitching. And Scott Brosius, remember him?

And for the record, I'd hardly call Kenny Lofton, Enrique Wilson and Ruben Sierra "high-profile."

As for pitching, the Yankees do have an excellent pitching staff and a great bullpen. The only weak spot is the lack of left-handed starters. But they have Mike Mussina, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown, Jose Contreras and Jon Lieber. Contreras has a year under his belt and should be ready for this year and when Lieber and Brown are healthy, they're downright excellent. So don't be knocking the Boss for that.

By the way, our owner can beat up your owner. NYah!
 ET Warrior
02-25-2004, 3:22 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
But guess what! This thread isn't about Hockey! Back to your hockey thread! :p

But it SHOULD be about hockey....

I kid I kid.

hockey owns
 Darth Exar Kun
02-25-2004, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
a little off topic but watch out for the...
angels
pirates
red sox
indians

they could have a big effect on their devisions this year.:cool: *ahem* CUBS *end ahem*
Page: 1 of 1