Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Large open spaces

Page: 1 of 1
 LainTora
02-09-2004, 7:54 PM
Hello,

I need input from you. I have been working on again, off again since JK2 on an urban map. Essentially, the map consists of a city block, the center being a large landing pad, with a surrounding solid wall that is very tall. Outside of this solid wall are various buildings that line the street. It is a large rectangle in shape.

How do I:
1) Break it up using portals without losing the ability for gamers to take advantage of the rooftops?
2) Implement the drawing distance to be reduced?
3) Add fog, to hide the fact that the whole map is not being drawn?
4) Make it into a night setting?
5) Add sound effects that make it sound like lots of vehicles passing overhead in the thick fog/blackness of the night?

I would be very grateful if someone could work with me to bounce ideas off, or to even work on it with me.
 Lil Killa
02-09-2004, 8:14 PM
1) you could try boarding up the windows and adding doors with area portals in them :P

2) Key/value distancecull (value in grid units to cutoff)

3)make a big brush out of caulk_nonsolid and cover the top and bottom in a fog texture. (the brush needs to cover the areas where the fog is..

4) Add less light and use a "night" sky box. Don't foget things like street lights beeing on

5) make a few target speakers in the sky and then add a noise kaye and value to the sound of your cars/ships.
 LainTora
02-09-2004, 8:14 PM
Also, in addition to this map being during the middle of the night, with lots of fog (to hide the fact that the distance won't be drawn fully), I want to take advantage of the rain effect in JKJA.

In simple terms, the map is for MP, with a city block/urban theme with rain and fog in the middle of the night, using textures as seen in the JA SP levels of Coruscant and Corellia.

Is this feasible? Or is this setting something the Q3 engine can't handle?
 WadeV1589
02-09-2004, 9:54 PM
All quite possible.

BTW for global fog, you can just use the key fog (or _fog...I forget) in the worldspawn and you can even specify how far away the fog should start (instead of starting immediately in front of the player).

Also, for the fog hull to work it's best, don't use _distancecull, use _farplanedist.

Make a skybox but make it totally black, 6 black textures, then in the worldspawn add
_foghull
mytexturefolder/myskybox
So then at the _farplanedist cut off, instead of drawing the HOMM effect it will just draw your skybox (which is black) and blend in with the fog.
Page: 1 of 1