Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GTKRadiant - How to move brushes?

Page: 1 of 1
 LainTora
02-09-2004, 7:42 PM
Hello,

This question pertains to "Jedi Knight: Jedic Academy" mapping and the latest version of GTKRadiant installed (v.1.4.0?)

Is there a way to select all brushes on a map and move them? I read somewhere that to make compiling easier you should keep the maps as close as possible to the center (0,0,0 coordinates). When I first started mapping in JK2Radiant, I did not know this.

Also, can I (using GTKRadiant) select only certain brushes without selecting each one individually? (Is there way to to just drag a box around the ones I want in the 2d or 3d view?)

Thank you.
 Lil Killa
02-09-2004, 8:01 PM
To select all the brushes make a huge brush that surrounds all off your map in all three (3) of the 2D views. Then with that brush still selected and right click it. Now go to select> select touching and that will select everything touching that brush.

Also.. I doubt moving your map to the center of the grid will effect compile times but I could be wrong..

To select certain brush groups you can slect the brushes you want to be in the group and right click and go to Func> Func_group. To select it press alt - shift - and te left mouse button till the group is selected.

There is no selection box thing but in the 3D view and can "paint select" (or whatever it's called) by pressing and holding shift and the left mouse button and dragging over the brushes to select. (that only worked in #D view. Also it will work with the camera pointer in the 3D view)
 LainTora
02-09-2004, 8:18 PM
Okay, thank you. I will have to try that. Up to now, my only mapping was during JK2 and JK2Radiant.
 GothiX
02-09-2004, 8:23 PM
Select one brush, press 'I' and select that brush again.
 LainTora
02-09-2004, 8:28 PM
I had another thought/question:
Is it possible (once the desired brushes are selected) to:

1) Copy and paste them into a whole new map?
2) Change them all the same way? (ie. Adding a texture, making them into "detail brush", etc.)
 WadeV1589
02-09-2004, 9:49 PM
To avoid potential problems with larger maps, try and map in the positive grid space (all co-ordinates above 0,0,0). It is possible that with large maps, negative coordinates can screw up the correct creation of lightmaps.
 Lil Killa
02-10-2004, 2:19 AM
1) select your brushes and then go to file> save selected and then in your new map file select File> import and find the file you previously saved and import it.

2) select your brushes and apply your texture like normal or select them all and right click and select "make detail" (or use the option in the selection menu.)

A group of brushes can be treated just like a single brush 99% of the time. (99% because although i can't think of a reason I'm sure someone else can)
 Leslie Judge
02-10-2004, 7:10 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Select one brush, press 'I' and select that brush again. It has to be enough to press I with nothing selected. :)
 wedge2211
02-10-2004, 3:28 PM
Yeah, what LJ said. "I" is "Invert Selection," and you can invert a null selection to select everything. Then you can move the whole shebang with ALT+[arrows] (with large selections this may take a long time), and yes, you can select a buch of brushs and texture them all at once or make them all detail. Be careful to caulk unseen faces, though--the Textures > Find/Replace option might work better for you.

Originally posted by Lil Killa
There is no selection box thing

Yes there is. In the 2D view, hold down ALT and drag a box around whatever brushes/ents you want to select, then release the mouse. You can combine this with filtering options (like CTRL+D, filter detail; SHIFT+CTRL+D, filter structural; CTRL+P, filter patches; SHIFT+M, filter models; and ALT+2, filter ents) to select whatever you like.
 lauser
02-12-2004, 5:47 PM
I haven't seen it mentiond here yet. Make a HUGE brush all the way around whatever it may be that you want selected. This may be the whole map or just a section of it. Go to selection menu/select/select inside. VOILA. The brush you just made has dissapeared and the section you want to move is all highlited.

Now if you are moving an entire map BE CAREFUL!! As some of your brushes may get dragged beyond repair. So drag as slowly as possibly. You can also use the SCALE key under this same menu. Using scale will allow you to scale up/down the ENTIRE selection.
Page: 1 of 1