Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How far can you go before it stinks?

Page: 1 of 1
 urluckyday
02-06-2004, 9:17 PM
I have recently thought a question. It was very interesting not because the fact that there are so few, but because there are so many. We have all seen Star Wars geeks out there who camp outside the theater for 6 days just to see the next movie, and then when it is time for the show, they put on their robes and turn on the lights in their plastic lightsabers. I have to wonder, isn't this going a little too far when in one of my last things "The Fans", so many of you said that anyone is a true fan even if you just own a couple toys and have 1 book on your shelf. If that was true, what are these people trying to show. Are they mearly competing with others, or is there something else behind it? What do you think?:jawa
 leXX
02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
I think Triumph (http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/trailers/ROFL.STARWARS.NERDS.wmv) sums up my feelings on this matter nicely. :)
 Darth Homer
02-06-2004, 11:38 PM
*to Vader*
"And what do these buttons do? Call your Mom to come pick you up??"

:D

At least I think that's the one...I've seen it before & I'm at work right now so I can't view it to make sure.
 DarkLord60
02-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I think they are just loyal geek fans who have nothing better to do but thats just what I think.
 Rogue15
02-10-2004, 2:06 PM
I always wanted to dress up as Boba Fett or a Stormtrooper.
 DarkLord60
02-10-2004, 9:37 PM
Ok I admit it would be cool to have a fett or stormtrooper costume.
 Jabbas WhOr3
02-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I have a jabba costume, oh wait thats just my real skin :cry:
 JediNyt
02-11-2004, 1:33 AM
You people dont get it. I'm surprised to see you people panning other fans like that. You are all big fans too. Why else would you be members of Lucas Forums? Duh? Wearing a good costume (not a cheesy store bought one) but a custom made high quality costume is just another way to celebrate Star Wars. Now we dont go walking around in them day to day, thats silly, we wear them only for special Star Wars ocasions. For instance, Star Wars movie premiers and conventions. The club I'm a member of will be camping out for a month for Episode III. We'll have booth set up and everything and do it all in shifts so we dont have to be there all the freakin time.

Now there are some fans out there who are so out of reality in their heads who worship Star Wars and weigh about 300 lbs and try to squeeze into a set of Storm Trooper armor and think they are leet and crap. Those dorks are what give us all a bad name. So I can see that what you have seen on the Triumph show would turn you off to costuming, but thats cause Triumph wouldnt talk to more normal fans like us who arent as fun to pick on.

Im getting a Jedi outfit made soon that Ill wear at Comic Con in San Diego, its gonna look great. And Ill probably get a lightsaber made by Parks Sabers www.parksabers.com). These are NOT cheap Hasbro toys.

Costuming is fun, thats why we do it! You dont care for costuming? Thats cool. Your still a fan. You think I'm a loser? Forget you. You're not important.
 Pie™
02-11-2004, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
Ok I admit it would be cool to have a fett or stormtrooper costume. Or a Vader costume, but it all stops there for me ;)
 Darth Slayne
02-11-2004, 6:47 PM
Never done it myself, but here's my thoughts on the matter.

How is dressing up as Obi Wan or Darth Vader to see a movie or attend a convention any different to Bill Bloggs waring his fav teams colours to a match? Its all to do with the dreaded "In-group" types I'll wager. You cant play sports so you're a geek. You arent very popular so you're a geek. And here's one I've heard about me: "You have long hair and listen to heavy metal, so you must be on drugs!"

Heres something you probably don't know: WE THE REJECTED THINK THE SAME THINGS ABOUT YOU!

It all depends on your side of the fence, because people tend to fear that which they don't understand.

And I agree with JediNyt, when he mentions those idiots with no sense of reallity. Believe me, you don't just find them attending movies. You'll find them right next to you at your favourite sporting venue.

And yes.....there are a few here on the forums I'll wager. So be afraid.....be VERY afraid.
 Glaive v.1
02-12-2004, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by Darth Slayne
Never done it myself, but here's my thoughts on the matter.

How is dressing up as Obi Wan or Darth Vader to see a movie or attend a convention any different to Bill Bloggs waring his fav teams colours to a match? Its all to do with the dreaded "In-group" types I'll wager. You cant play sports so you're a geek. You arent very popular so you're a geek. And here's one I've heard about me: "You have long hair and listen to heavy metal, so you must be on drugs!"

Heres something you probably don't know: WE THE REJECTED THINK THE SAME THINGS ABOUT YOU!

It all depends on your side of the fence, because people tend to fear that which they don't understand.

And I agree with JediNyt, when he mentions those idiots with no sense of reallity. Believe me, you don't just find them attending movies. You'll find them right next to you at your favourite sporting venue.

And yes.....there are a few here on the forums I'll wager. So be afraid.....be VERY afraid.

I agree with you there Slayne

at school i'm classed as one of the geeks but i have long hair and listen to heavy metal. I don't care what people say. I just don't care what people say. i like what i like and thats that.

I've never gone to a movie waring robes but i do have a couple of Star Wars masks. I'd love to have a vader costume or boba fett costume. They rock.
 Snafu7
02-14-2004, 1:55 AM
Originally posted by Darth Homer
*to Vader*
"And what do these buttons do? Call your Mom to come pick you up??"

Was that from the Connan O'Brian?
 Kain
02-14-2004, 8:11 AM
Originally posted by leXX
I think Triumph (http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/trailers/ROFL.STARWARS.NERDS.wmv) sums up my feelings on this matter nicely. :)

:wstupid:
 Lynk Former
02-14-2004, 12:15 PM
It is unwise to point that sign at leXX... i fear for your testicles...
 Darth Slayne
02-14-2004, 5:33 PM
Meh....Lexx is a push over! :o

Uh........Did I just type that out loud?

*Covers nether-regions and runs for dear life*

BTW: I Voted True fan. Though I think just "fan" sums it up.

*See's Lexx approaching and remembers to keep running.*
 the_raven_03
03-02-2004, 12:22 AM
I think that it is cool. I would do it if i had the time to make the costume.
 Wraith 8
03-02-2004, 11:07 AM
i saw that movie long ago... I LOVE IT HAHAHAHHAH!

i remember when i went to se ep 1.... some guy in a star trek uniform..... got boooo-ed :)

no i never go dressed ,,,, i think its silly personally.
 Glaive v.1
03-02-2004, 12:52 PM
i say its up the person thats dressing in the costume, its up to them what they want to wear.

that thing about the star trek guy i would have thrown my shoe at him.:swear:

i did take my toy lightsabre to EP1 and EP2 and i probably take it to EP3. but i think that is as far as i would go in costume terms, but i did go to the matrix 2 & 3 in full length coat and sunglasses e.t.c.
 the_lord_Revan
03-10-2004, 8:48 PM
quite frankly, I'd have to say there a bunch of nerds with no lives. If they don't get a girlfriend cuz they're too busy working on some freakin virus or sh*t like that then thats there own fault, i mean hell!
 DarksideDjembe
03-11-2004, 1:53 PM
I dont really care if they want to dress up all fruity for a movie...personally, i "celebrate" star wars by enjoying the movies and smoking a fatty before watching empire strikes back... If i had the money to buy a fancy jedi robe, id spend it on booze....
 dark jedi 8
03-12-2004, 1:24 AM
a stormtrooper, fett, or vader costume are kick ass and really cool to see up close when people wear them. and the royal guard one is also cool. i think that they are just expressing themselves and having fun. they are doing what they enjoy and it is no different than a guy going to a football game painted from the waist up. they just get into what they love and i dont think its right to criticize them for expressing themselves. IMO.:cool:
 Glaive v.1
03-12-2004, 6:42 AM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
a stormtrooper, fett, or vader costume are kick ass and really cool to see up close when people wear them. and the royal guard one is also cool. i think that they are just expressing themselves and having fun. they are doing what they enjoy and it is no different than a guy going to a football game painted from the waist up. they just get into what they love and i dont think its right to criticize them for expressing themselves. IMO.:cool:

:wstupid: true true
 DarksideDjembe
03-12-2004, 7:38 PM
I went to see spider man when it first came out and there was like a 6 year old kid with a spidy costume. and he peed himself waiting in line.... haha
 the_lord_Revan
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
i say its ok for kids to do it ya know?cuz their KIDS but seeing a 56 year old man jump into a costume, and bounce around outside a theater?? uh uh
Page: 1 of 1