Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Darkside saber and a new Double blade

Page: 1 of 1
 T7nowhere
02-06-2004, 12:19 PM
I just Uploaded Two New lightsabers on my My site (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/SW-KotOR%20Modding.htm) The first Is a power house double Saber designed with a consular in mind.

The second is Darkside restricted with a deep red color blade this one bestows it's wielder with Master flurry among other goodies to draw out any sith's pure rage.

Enjoy!

ps. if your concerned about the battles being to easy download Talchia's Hardcore mod (http://home.t-online.de/home/Talchia/english.html)
 Supreme-Lord
02-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Ok now if i drop both mods (guardian of light and sith sabers) into override folder, do they conflict each other or not?
I noticed that upcrystals.2da has already in my override folder so i cant use both at the same time?
 T7nowhere
02-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Supreme-Lord
Ok now if i drop both mods (guardian of light and sith sabers) into override folder, do they conflict each other or not?
I noticed that upcrystals.2da has already in my override folder so i cant use both at the same time?

It's ok to overwrite the Upcrystals.2da I made like 15 entries for new crystals to it for new sabers. upcrystals.2da is the same. There should be no conflict at all I tested with all 4 sabers and they work fine.
 CaspER sX
02-07-2004, 1:16 AM
Hey T7, sorry to bother but do you think you could email me those files possibly in zip format? I'd love to try them out, but i dont have winrar.
 CaspER sX
02-07-2004, 1:45 AM
Never mind. I went ahead and downloaded winrar, i was just being lazy. =P
 Shimaon
02-07-2004, 2:08 AM
Originally posted by CaspER sX
Never mind. I went ahead and downloaded winrar, i was just being lazy. =P
yeah, in most cases, it takes less time to download WinRar and the compressed RAR file than to download a ZIP file of the same contents.

Like the new sabers... shall be testing soon.
 T7nowhere
02-07-2004, 2:28 AM
I used to have winrar,winzip an winace until i realized all i needed was winrar. a zip will always be larger,but with the size of these files it hardly matters. :)
 clydeski
02-13-2004, 1:54 PM
T7

Been admiring your lightsabers and rooting through the files to see what you did. Hope you can answer a couple questions verify a couple things for me:

1. The entry in upcrystals.2da determines what kind of lightsaber you have. So if I exchanged T7_W_SBRCRSTL70 for a G_W_SBRCRSTL14 at the workbench, I loose the Knights staff and end up with a regular G_W_DBLSBR001. Although I can get the knights staff back by putting back the T7_W_SBRCRSTL70. Is that correct?

2. If I want to make a unique new lightsaber, I must make a new crystal and entry for that crystal and lightsaber in upcrystals.2da. Entrys in here are for the "center" crystal at the workbench. Sound right?

3. In the lightsaber uti, I'm confused by modelvariation. It looks like the rule of thumb to follow is to make sure the last to characters of the lightsabers name are a unique number and to also use that same number in modelvariation. I saw another posting you made and it sounds like if you don't do this it will ignore your mdl, mdx, tga files for your lightsaber and use the ones for the lightsaber model anding with the two digits in model variation. Looks like you did this purposely for your new crystals uti file. Set modelvariation to 14 in the crystals uti made it identical to the existing blue crystal.

4. Tag and TemplateResRef in the uti file should always be the same as the name of the util file.

5. For the mdx, tga and txi find a saber that you like the looks of and rename these files w_dblsbr_###, w_lghtsbr_### or w_shortsbr_###. ### is the last three digits of your uti file name. I have no idea what these files do beyond model the looks of the saber.

6. For the mdl file, change it's name like you did the mdx/tga and txi files. Then hex edit it to change the internal saber names to the name of the mdl file. Make sure you don't change the length of the name field or you'll corrupt it. Easiest would be a search and replace of existing name with new name. Make sure not to change length of name.

7. What I haven't been able to figure out, is how to change the color of the saber? Is it somewhere is the mdl file?

8. Where do I find the tga and tgi files for lightsabers?
 gameunlimited
02-13-2004, 7:06 PM
It seems that your observations are correct except for some.

#6: You hex edit the mdl file not to match the new name, but instead to point out the new texture file that contains the new color (the .tga file).

#7: The color of the sabre is then determined by the texture file (.tga file) that is pointed out in the mdl file, the one you just hex edited.

#8: Using kotor tools, the tga file is located in ERFs --> TexturePack --> swpc_tex_tpa --> w_lsabreblue01.tpc. As for the txi file, it is just a text file. If you open the texture file using a hex editor and scroll down to the very end and you can see some text footer in the file. In the case for lightsabre texture files, it should read:

blendingadditive
decal 1

I think that's how it works. Better confirm it with T7 though, he is the lightsabre mod master :) Probably he had played around with these files more than anyone else in this forum.
 T7nowhere
02-13-2004, 11:09 PM
yup you got it . follow gameunlimited's advice on the last three points and all is good.

One additional point is that you only have to edit upcrystal.2da and make a new saber crystal if you want your saber to be upgradeable. other wise all you really have to do to make a uniqe saber is to make a new lightsaber template and leave it pointing to the exsisting game resources.
:)
 clydeski
02-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Startin to make sense.

Get the tga by running tpc2tga on it.

tga is 64 by 64 bit 24 bit color. Assume I could change colors by making a new tga file in these parameters. Results likly to be interesting. I think I saw a light saber with reb, white and blue blads. I'll have to track it down and see what they did to the tga.

Thanks for the help.
 gameunlimited
02-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Furthermore, in the mdl file, the texture is called 2 times (or four, i forgot). So let say if you change one to point to a green texture while the other points to a red sabre texture, You will get a mixture of both. See it for yourself. It is rather cool, imo
Page: 1 of 1