Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tutorial for getting started

Page: 1 of 1
 dragonetti
02-03-2004, 6:18 PM
hey there u super modders :)
first of all let me say that i LOVE the work u peeps have done :D

secondly i would like to hear if one of u guys could help me getting started off with creating my own mods as i'm kinda a noob to all this..

thirdly i would like to know if there is one of u guys working on an savegame editing tool which also would allow creation of own weapons, clothing, items etc...

anyone that can help me on the second plz feel free to give a reply
 Ellderon
02-03-2004, 7:18 PM
Well, that's one thing I say is nedded.

A bunch of organized tutorials, so the comunity can grow.
One should make and stickify a thread whre different tutorials will be downloadable..
 dragonetti
02-03-2004, 7:40 PM
well true but still i must give credit to all the modders out there trying to help noobs like myself... it's just that i personaly have to have something to get started on cuz altho i admire thier work i would also like to contribute with something..
i've got a lot of tools from the sites recommended in all the other treads but it would kinda be great to know if all these tools have to be in the same folder or seperate folders u know stuff like that

plus peeps keep mentioning that the use the nwn toolset which i've got but i just can't seem to get it to work with swkotor so a guideline in this would also be very helpfull
 Ellderon
02-03-2004, 8:24 PM
That's the point...

If they put everything in a single thread, then they won't have to answer all the KOTOR noobs like us...
 Ellderon
02-06-2004, 9:42 AM
Well...is anyone making tutorials?

Those that have, please put links here!!!
 Anach
02-06-2004, 12:38 PM
There is a wealth of knowledge already here, its just a matter of reading through a couple pages of the articles that sound interesting.

This is what i always do when i join a new forum, Just so i dont ask too many n00b quetions.
Also this often gets me started on modding something myself.
Ive modded a few games now from different genre, and once you do one or two, the others get picked up fairly quickly.

Just use the tools that are posted to explore your directories and look around your various game files. see what you can open and what you cant.

Start with something specific, so you know what you looking for, instead of just wanting to "mod"

Always make a backup of your files, so you can play around, stuff it up and restore it.
 Ellderon
02-06-2004, 6:37 PM
It's allways better to have it all on one place, stickefied and with big letters, so noobs don't waste their (and other peoples) time...

as I said, the best first step to make the comunity grow faster...
And trust me on this one...I'm like registerd on dozens of modding forums for various games...
 gameunlimited
02-06-2004, 6:50 PM
I agree with Anach. That is the best way, in my opinion, to get started in modding, is to try it yourself first, then ask more specific question on this forum if you get stuck. I would be very happy to answer question to the best of my limited knowledge, but sometimes, if someone asks like "how do I mod?", im not too sure where to begin with.

My reccomendation on where to start is to download Kotor_Tool. Then use the program and explore the BIF --> 2da --> appearance.2da. You can try to modify that file. Open the file up using the kotor_tool. That file modifies the appearances of all the creatures, including your character and other NPCs. Now take a look at the the Row #2 to #10. Those are the lines for the appearance of your NPC. Next scroll to the right until you find the column "modela" and "texa". These are the column for the model and texture when you are wearing no clothes. You can try modifying these two column.

For example, you want to change so that Carth will have the body of Calo Nord. Here is what you do: change the row #6 under the column "modela" and "texa" to "N_Calonord". Now how did i know whats the name of Calo's body? What I did was just to look down to row #13 and look the values from Calo's texture and model. Save the file into your override folder. Load the game, take off Carth's clothes (remember earlier, modela and texa are the model for characters when they are using no clothes). He should have Calo's body now.
 Ellderon
02-07-2004, 5:57 PM
I don't think we're operating on the same wavelength...Work with me now...(no offense)

I've modded dozens of games allready and I know how to start modding, but what I was talking about is when I/another newb DO get stuck it's beter to have every important tutorial (at least the links to them) on one place, so that I don't spend hours sorting and searchin trough all the threads(some are pages long, and some have similar names...so go figure..it takes time to go trough all of that) and spend your precios time nagging you with "how to do this..." questions..

It's the best, and least painful solution to have important tutorials on on place...
 Stator
02-07-2004, 6:36 PM
Not trying to be nasty but this issue is getting pathetic. Rather than keep stating that all modding tutorials and related info need to be in one thread, just make the thread yourself and place the appropriate links in it.

Stator
 dragonetti
02-08-2004, 8:16 AM
Originally posted by gameunlimited
I agree with Anach. That is the best way, in my opinion, to get started in modding, is to try it yourself first, then ask more specific question on this forum if you get stuck. I would be very happy to answer question to the best of my limited knowledge, but sometimes, if someone asks like "how do I mod?", im not too sure where to begin with.

My reccomendation on where to start is to download Kotor_Tool. Then use the program and explore the BIF --> 2da --> appearance.2da. You can try to modify that file. Open the file up using the kotor_tool. That file modifies the appearances of all the creatures, including your character and other NPCs. Now take a look at the the Row #2 to #10. Those are the lines for the appearance of your NPC. Next scroll to the right until you find the column "modela" and "texa". These are the column for the model and texture when you are wearing no clothes. You can try modifying these two column.

For example, you want to change so that Carth will have the body of Calo Nord. Here is what you do: change the row #6 under the column "modela" and "texa" to "N_Calonord". Now how did i know whats the name of Calo's body? What I did was just to look down to row #13 and look the values from Calo's texture and model. Save the file into your override folder. Load the game, take off Carth's clothes (remember earlier, modela and texa are the model for characters when they are using no clothes). He should have Calo's body now.

k i i tried out the above mentioned and it worked like a charm..
but could u tell me which row the ingame player is on cuz i would like to make so that my player looks like malak (would be real cool :D ) or would that envolv something more than what u posted ?????
 gameunlimited
02-08-2004, 8:39 AM
dragonetti:
the player models are the lines #91 - #180. all the different faces that you can choose when you begin the game, each one of them has their own line. The name has this kind of format: P_FEM_A_SML_03. FEM obviously means female. A is for the Asian models, B for Blacks, and C for Caucasian. SML means the model for scout (not 100% sure, it might be scoundrel's), while LRG is soldier's model. So, if your character is a Male, Black, and his class is soldier, your line is the one that has the label: P_MAL_B_LRG_XX, XX being the number from 01 to 05. Just play around, you should be able to figure it out quite easily and put malak's model into your character. Additional info: modela refers to the model while you are naked, while modelb is the standard clothings. C through H are the various types of armors, and I is for the jedi robes.

Ellderon:
As of for now, Ive only seen one tutorial that is available for download and I believe it is already in the sticky thread. So i think it might be kinda hard to ask for the links while there is no guide available right now to begin with.
 dragonetti
02-08-2004, 9:37 AM
k i can change the look of my player now..
but i run into a few problems:

1) player won't block or use dual sbr
2) player animation blocks when i equip dbl sbr and dual..

i would like to know how i can fix this..
and is it possible to change the portrait???
 gameunlimited
02-08-2004, 9:48 AM
unfortunately it is not possible to fix the blocking thing, at least for now. certain model just does not have the animation for certain action =(

As for portraits, it is possible. check the portrait.2da file.
 dragonetti
02-08-2004, 9:59 AM
hmm bummer:mad:

but thx for the help i think i'll play a bit with all this for now...:p
 juv3nal
02-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Ellderon
I don't think we're operating on the same wavelength...Work with me now...(no offense)

I've modded dozens of games allready and I know how to start modding, but what I was talking about is when I/another newb DO get stuck it's beter to have every important tutorial (at least the links to them) on one place, so that I don't spend hours sorting and searchin trough all the threads(some are pages long, and some have similar names...so go figure..it takes time to go trough all of that) and spend your precios time nagging you with "how to do this..." questions..

It's the best, and least painful solution to have important tutorials on on place...

Unless you make them, there really are no such tutorials (with 1 exception which I'm pretty sure is in the stickied thread). There's various posts scattered here and there that could hold the answers to questions you might have, but if you threw links to them all into a stickied post, you'd just have links to pretty much every other thread in this forum. kinda defeats the purpose.
Page: 1 of 1