Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dialog editor

Page: 1 of 1
 gameunlimited
02-03-2004, 9:12 AM
Is there any good dialog editor for KotOR that can be used to edit the .dlg files?
 Stator
02-03-2004, 9:46 AM
I use the nwn toolset to edit dialogs.

Stator
 Hoa_Binh
02-03-2004, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by Stator
I use the nwn toolset to edit dialogs.

Stator

Could you tell me how? I have NWN installed and I can open a dialog but since the Dialog.tlk file is from NWN the texts in the conversations is all wrong. If I change the Dialog.tlk the NWN-toolset gets all wrong, all the labels on the buttons get wrong and the program crashes on me.

I'm working on a dialog editor but if I can save some time by making NWN-toolset work that would be great.

/HB
 Kitty Kitty
02-03-2004, 2:25 PM
I haven't personally tried it, but there's also a TLK editor near the end of the tools section of the sticky I have up above.

I've been told it works for KotOR, but again, I can not verify this personally.

-Kitty
 Talchia
02-03-2004, 2:50 PM
The toolset will delete all unknown flags from the dlg, so the
usage of it is very limited.
 Stator
02-03-2004, 2:55 PM
You need a fresh install of the nwn toolset for starters. No expansion packs and don't even bother with patches. Then go to the utilities sticky and download the kotor builder module that Lil Jawa made. Dialog.tlk isn't the smae as a dialog. Use a .tlk editor for that.

Stator
 Hoa_Binh
02-03-2004, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by Stator
You need a fresh install of the nwn toolset for starters. No expansion packs and don't even bother with patches. Then go to the utilities sticky and download the kotor builder module that Lil Jawa made. Dialog.tlk isn't the same as a dialog. Use a .tlk editor for that.

Stator

I know there is a difference between the conversation file (.dlg) and the talk table (.tlk) but I also know that the NWN-toolset uses the dialog.tlk for the conversation text and fot the menues in the toolset itself.

If I change the dialog.tlk to make the .dlg files readable NWN-toolset gets all wrong. If I don't change it the .dlg files the toolset read the text lines from the NWN talk table and get's all messed up.

What I wanted to know was if there was a way to let NWN-toolset read the information it needs from the NWN-talk table but for it to use the KotOR-talk table for the dialogs?
 Stator
02-03-2004, 7:01 PM
I just tested it and I was able to read dialogs in the toolset. I just grabbed some random files to look at. As Talchia has pointed out, some flags may be deleted by the toolset if they aren't recognized. Sorry I don't have more help for you.

Stator
 gameunlimited
02-03-2004, 7:09 PM
so stator, even after using lil'jawa's kotor builder thing, the toolset will still delete all the unknowns flags?
 Stator
02-03-2004, 7:38 PM
Originally posted by gameunlimited
so stator, even after using lil'jawa's kotor builder thing, the toolset will still delete all the unknowns flags?

I'm not quite sure. I was going off of the info the Talchia provided. I was just confirming that I can read and edit dialogs with the toolset. I didn't get into anything specific as far as checking the flags. I felt it was proper to restate Talchia's warning just in case.

Btw, thanks again for the help with my npc as jedi mod. I have them all as jedi now and they are only level 1 when I first acquire them. I prefer to level them up personally right from the start.

Stator
 Talchia
02-04-2004, 2:08 AM
Hoa_Binh is talking about a dlg from kotor and not
a custom one. There is no text in the file, just a number
for the tlk. Import these dlg with the nwn toolset and you would
see only rubbish if you not merge the tlk into nwn.

About the kotor dlg flags, some commands like
the computer dialog screen will be controlled in
the dlg itself and not with a script.
 eidospsogos
02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
the .tlk editor form NeverWinter Vaults works pretty well. especially in conjunction with the tlk viewer from bioware. as the bioware viewer has a search function as well as the ability to type the exact .str number you are looking for, you can use it to find exactly what you are looking for, before scrolling down in the editor from the vaults that allows you to actually edit the .tlk.
 Talchia
02-05-2004, 1:52 PM
@eidospsogos

Check out this tool:
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/other/data/1053291597203.shtml)

You will need Java but it's worth a try. It can edit any 2da,gff or tlk
file, open multiple files and has many features.
Page: 1 of 1