Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Armor for Exar Kun

Page: 2 of 2
 Muskrat
02-01-2004, 6:26 AM
i agree the technology was around, and the idea of using it, but no one ever did. in all of those, Kun (and Maul :( )were the only ones to have stated as being users of it (in the last one he uses a wooden staff). No one used it because it wasn't expected to be needed. And it wasn't. Even Kun modified his only after starting the Sith War (i think..), when he had greater need for a deadlier lightsaber. Your first example says this clearly. No one used it as a weapon, but it was used for training.
 eidospsogos
02-01-2004, 1:04 PM
oh, come on. read between the lines a little. you should not need to have them spell it out for you to understand what is being said. they stated that Exar Kun had discovered SITH WEAPONRY, in order to modify his saber. which obviously implies that the weapon was once USED by the SITH. how would the thechnology for something exist, without ANYONE EVER using it. It would undoubtedly not be called SITH weaponry had it never been USED by the Sith. things just don't work that way. i am the first to agree that Exar Kun was great. BUT he was not the FIRST user of the light staff. (which the star wars encyclopedia defines as a weapon once USED by the old jedi knights)

so, it is obvious that no matter how illogical the idea that exar kun being the FIRST to use one of these is, that you are bound and determined to completely ignore everything anyone might sate that would prove otherwise. you are deadset that he was the first to use it,(and i understand why, i like exar kun too....) even though he would have never even known how to make it had he not been possessed by a sith ghost that knew how to construct it. he was the first to use it even though the weapon is referred to as a SITH lightsaber. implying it was conceived of, designed, and used by the SITH. and there were many many Sith around long befoire exar kun was invaded by one's spirit. and by this point there were practically no sith left at all. so were it to be referred to as sith weaponry, during a point in time when there practically were NO sith, it fits to reason they used it enough beforehand for people to know that a double-bladed saber was a sith weapon. it's not called the kun-saber, now is it. and if the weapon were USED for practice, i am sure occasionally at least one student decided they liked the weapon enough to continue using it.

and even without every example i gave that positiively denies that kun was the first to use one, just because only two of the users of this weapon were famous enough for people to know they USED the weapon, in NO WAY means some jedi that no one had ever heard of before might have used one as his primary weapon. i mean would you look back at biblical history and state that because david is the only specific person mentioned as using a sling, he was therefore the FIRST and ONLY person to ever use a sling.

and i found the rather flawed history of kun that you cited your unique weapon quote from, and it is wrong in so many aspects it's not funny. first of all exar's saber looked like maul's only in the aspect of it having two blades. nothing else was the same. second, ulic DID NOT lead the republic forces that finally destroyed Kun. when his force powers were stripped away from him by nomi sunruider after he killed his own brother, he was coerced into betraying his master by telling them where his bases of operation were. he then went into exile. by the time he got back to yavin IV the war was long over and kun long dead.

AND the site continually refers to Kun's FALL to the darkside etc etc. never once mentioning that when all this began he has perfectly good intentions and was in no way attempting to becaome a sith or gain power in the darkside. he was possessed by the spirit of a sith, and fought it as often and as hard as he possibly could, only resorting to the darkside as a last resort for saving his life. he never completely gave in and stopped fighting until the yavin IV massassi blood ritual.

so, i understand why it would be easy to believe, and to want to belive that exar kun was the first to use a saber of this sort. but he wasn't.
 Darth Exar Kun
02-01-2004, 2:08 PM
for the override to work do i have to start a new game ?
 Darth Stryke
02-01-2004, 2:39 PM
If you are talking about the armor properties changing, you must either start a new game or use cheats to spawn a new armor since all armors that existed in your savegame keep their properties.

I check out your reskin-my main issue with it is that the stripes are still there and more obvious than before. :D Other than that, it is just a bit too dull (as you said) I am thinking I might completely redo mine to be based off of blue instead of brown. Not sure though, have to play around with the colors more.
 eidospsogos
02-01-2004, 3:45 PM
hey, updated version without the stripes(on the armor if that is the stripe you are referring to).kept the shader effect, and reversed a little of the color washout that had occured. i'm emailing it to you right now. check it out.
 Darth Exar Kun
02-01-2004, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by BoL_Stryke
If you are talking about the armor properties changing, you must either start a new game or use cheats to spawn a new armor since all armors that existed in your savegame keep their properties.

I check out your reskin-my main issue with it is that the stripes are still there and more obvious than before. :D Other than that, it is just a bit too dull (as you said) I am thinking I might completely redo mine to be based off of blue instead of brown. Not sure though, have to play around with the colors more. i figured out what i doing wrong when i extracted them they created new folders in my override so i had to it from there to the main Override folder
 Hax0redCardz
02-01-2004, 6:11 PM
So... ummm... is Exar Kun supposed to be better than Revan/Malak/Vader/Palpy? Just curious, since I've never read any EU stuff :D
 eidospsogos
02-01-2004, 7:12 PM
Well, i will try my best not to ruffle any feathers. but i would say yes. he has pretty much been one of the most powerful Sith lords ever. while Palpatine succeeded in doing what exar kun could not, he was aided by the one master one apprentice ONLY rule, that was NOT in effect at the time of exar kun. (darth bane destroyed all the sith/dark jedi and decreed that from that day forward there would be ONLY one master and ONLY one apprentice. that way the power of the darkside would not be spread so thin.) exar kun nearly succeeded in gaining what the emperor had gained merely through open war. while palpatine used political maneuvering and trickery to achive his goals.

so, i would say yes. though some will disagree with me i am sure.
 pmshand86
02-01-2004, 9:54 PM
I may have missed it in the thread but where is this armor available? I mean in the game...
 eidospsogos
02-01-2004, 10:15 PM
you can buy it from the czerka store on korriban. it is past the first desk where the rodian sells cassus fett's pistol. but before you get to the cantina area, take a right into a room with another desk. talk to the man at the desk and ask him to show what he has for sale. exar kun's light battle suit is one of the items offered here.
 Darth Stryke
02-02-2004, 12:54 AM
I want to offer a SLIGHT disagreement. The one master/one app only rule is strictly for the sith. At the time of palpy, there are still (supposidly) dark jedi floating around. The major thing is that the Dark Jedi could not usurp the sith and there was but 2 sith (kinda like a jedi council in that the sith ruled over the dark jedi) THis is mentioned in many books, for instance Mara Jade began as a dark jedi serving palpy while vader was his apprentice. So there were still dark jedi, but they were under domain of the sith around palpy's time instead of trying to dominate, since Darth Bane forbid that way back when. And by the way, Palpatine is probably the most powerful sith ever. He and only he completely took domain over the Galaxy and decimated the Jedi Order. And George Lucas made up Star Wars and said Palpy was the strongest so, ya, thats pretty much it.

EDIT:

And I also want to add that Palpatine only died because he was betrayed by the chosen one of the prophecy, which stated that When the chosen one kills the dark lord of the sith, the dark lord's apprentice shall fall as well. :D But as we all know, Exar would have chewed up vader and spit him out for breakfast, and Maul would have as well probably defeated vader due to his superior physical prowess. And Don't bring up how maul died, maul won the fight and obi wan got lucky.
 Shimaon
02-02-2004, 1:18 AM
I want to offer a SLIGHT disagreement. The one master/one app only rule is strictly for the sith. At the time of palpy, there are still (supposidly) dark jedi floating around. The major thing is that the Dark Jedi could not usurp the sith and there was but 2 sith (kinda like a jedi council in that the sith ruled over the dark jedi) THis is mentioned in many books, for instance Mara Jade began as a dark jedi serving palpy while vader was his apprentice. So there were still dark jedi, but they were under domain of the sith around palpy's time instead of trying to dominate, since Darth Bane forbid that way back when. And by the way, Palpatine is probably the most powerful sith ever. He and only he completely took domain over the Galaxy and decimated the Jedi Order. And George Lucas made up Star Wars and said Palpy was the strongest so, ya, thats pretty much it.

EDIT:

And I also want to add that Palpatine only died because he was betrayed by the chosen one of the prophecy, which stated that When the chosen one kills the dark lord of the sith, the dark lord's apprentice shall fall as well. :D But as we all know, Exar would have chewed up vader and spit him out for breakfast, and Maul would have as well probably defeated vader due to his superior physical prowess. And Don't bring up how maul died, maul won the fight and obi wan got lucky.
WAIT!

Anakin was really the chosen one???
I thought Luke was this entire time!
I've been living a lie!

BTW, can one of ya let me know what the filename of Exar's Armor's Texture?

Thanks
 Darth Stryke
02-02-2004, 1:47 AM
Yes, Anakin was the chosen one you will find out the info about the chosen one killing the master and apprentice falling in Episode 3. :D
 eidospsogos
02-02-2004, 1:50 AM
there is no luck, there is only the force.

but though one can attempt to rationalize why there are still dark jedi in this time period other than the one master and one apprentice, this is only the case because the star wars universe was constructed in a haphazard patchwork, randomly here and there. and so certain things like there being more than two sith in a certain time era, when there should NOT be, occurs because the era was created before the era in which darth bane's concept of the sith came about. basically i think he came about as an explanation for why there seemed to be alot more jedi than sith, but no one took into account these timelines you discussed when there were more than two. sith and dark jedi became synonomous as the two intermingled. and as the sith spcies died out completely, and all that was left was dark jedi that followed the sith ideal, sith and dark jedi become synonomous terms.

but what i was mainly trying to point out, was that power wise, exar kun nearly succeeded in conquering the entire universe in open war. while palpatine achieved his domination through trickery and deceit. that was all i was attempting to point out, as it shows the difference in the particular strengths of the characters. in a lightsaber duel, kun would win. in the sheer power they commanded that is debatable. but that is also why i was ponting out the different approaches. kun decimated nearly the entire jedi council by himself in an attempt to free his apprentice. palpatine always relied on others to achive his goals.

so, there approaches to conquering the galaxy differed, and though palpatine succeeded and kun did not, this is really due to how they went about their plans, and not who was more pwoerful. i think kun would stomp a hole in just about anyone one on one.

as for the chosen one prophecy, i won't even get into that. if you wan't to call vader the chosen one, fine by me. that's debatable as well. after all qui-gon was renowned for huge flaws in judgement. but you could say he brought the force back into balance, as he cut the jedi numbers down to two as well. :)
 Darth Stryke
02-02-2004, 2:42 AM
Alright, 2 quick things. First off, Palpatine conquers the galaxy by open war, but he sets up his war by deceit. You will see this in episode 3 when palpy's war starts as the clone wars end. And trying to compare EU to the films is crazy, so I will not debate any further as to who could beat who. Palpatine is meant to be the most powerful, simply because George Lucas designed it that way. And Vader/Anakin is the chosen one. I gave away some episode 3 spoilers about that, but that will be shown as well. When the chosen one (anakin) kills the dark lord (Sidious/palps), the apprentice (Vader/anakin) falls as well, thus restoring balance to the force. Its confusing and can be annoying to those who didn't think/want anakin to be the one, but he is. I am not here to worry about my opinions anymore, because those are different for everyone-but these are the facts as set by the films, so you cannot change that. And Palpatine will shor his full power in episode 3 as well. He will fight and kill jedi and MAJOR SPOILER, he will kick yoda's butt in a sabre duel and that is why yoda goes to hide because even he cannot contend with palpatine. And nobody helps him fight yoda (this is a rumor of course), palpatine does it himself. Power will be shown in Ep3.

Also, there were more than 2 jedi at the time of the original trilogy. Even Lucas has said that it was impossible for the sith to kill them all. But like yoda and obi wan, that doesnt matter because they were not really doing anything because they didn't want to die.
 lord_blodgett
02-02-2004, 12:55 PM
And as a quick technicalaside just to be annoying, ther can be only two SITH, not only two dark jedi.

In the EU there are a lot of dark jedi, not to mention other traditions. The Sith just happen to be one of them. OK the most infamous one, but there are others. For example the Night Sisters. of Dathomir.
 Lil' Jawa
02-02-2004, 1:43 PM
I think ep 3 will either be a complete failure with too much "power show-off" or, an excellent end to the prequal series :)
This I do know though; ep 1 sucked pretty much overall cept in the end duel with maul and ep 2 was pretty anticlimax the whole movie thru although that is to be expected from a mid-movie.
Anyone know if Lucas really is going to stay to the claim that there will be no more SW movies or is he already planning sumthin(like one happening 4000 years earlier maybe? :))
 Supreme-Lord
02-02-2004, 2:58 PM
Lucas indeed said that he will not make a new movie but i doubt it, because such a big success. I think maybe some 3-4 years after ep3 and he will make a new one :atat:
It can be like what happens after luke died.... :deathstar
Well i hope that. :D
 deadevil
02-02-2004, 4:29 PM
hi

does anyone think about made Exar Kun Double-Bladed Lightsaber?

It would be interesting to make an item like this but without bonus like 15000 critical damage or something else.

Just a Double-Bladed Lightsaber a little bit more powerful than the others because of its perfect manufacture.
 Darth Stryke
02-02-2004, 4:34 PM
I loved all the star wars films equally, my favorite 2 (tied for first) are Episodes 2 and 6. I HOnestly think Episode 3 will be my all time favorite once it is done. It will have a LOT of action, but by what I have seen and read, it will be on par with the others (Depending on how much you liked each of the others, how good Ep3 is may differ) By the way, Episode 3 will have the LONGEST fight sequence in Cinematic history. This is the final duel between Anakin and Obi Wan and right now it is 12-13 minutes long according to Rick Macallum (Producer) and Nick Gillard (Stunt Coordinator) :D 12 minutes doesn't seem like too much until you actually compare it to the rest of the film-thats is a LONG fight.

Edit: Oh, by the way, LOTS OF rumors have been floating around about him making episodes 7, 8, and 9. Supposidly They have signed a few contracts involving it and when Mark Hamil (Luke Skywalker) asked Lucas if it was true or not, All Lucas would tell him is to wait and see and that if he did make them, Mark Hamil would come back as Luke Skywalker (And Hamil agreed that he would do it way back then the originals were made) So keep your fingers crossed. :D
 Hax0redCardz
02-02-2004, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by deadevil
hi

does anyone think about made Exar Kun Double-Bladed Lightsaber?

It would be interesting to make an item like this but without bonus like 15000 critical damage or something else.

Just a Double-Bladed Lightsaber a little bit more powerful than the others because of its perfect manufacture.

I think the Mantle of the Force is supposed to be made from shards of Exar Kun's saber crystal.... at least that's what the description suggests...
 Shimaon
02-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey, can someone let me know what the filename of Exar's Armor's texture is?

EDIT: nm, I got it
 Darth Exar Kun
02-03-2004, 1:05 AM

Edit: Oh, by the way, LOTS OF rumors have been floating around about him making episodes 7, 8, and 9. Supposidly They have signed a few contracts involving it and when Mark Hamil (Luke Skywalker) asked Lucas if it was true or not, All Lucas would tell him is to wait and see and that if he did make them, Mark Hamil would come back as Luke Skywalker (And Hamil agreed that he would do it way back then the originals were made) So keep your fingers crossed. :D if there is a loving and caring god we will not let this happen there is too much EU content after episode 6 or if it does happen it will be like like that episode of South Park where Lucas and Spielberg re-do Raiders of The Lost Arc and the audience is destroyed due to the sheer horribleness of the new version
 eidospsogos
02-03-2004, 1:33 AM
as far as 7,8, and 9 are concerned, i read that he had sold away too many rights after the first trilogy, and thus could not make any more sequels due to the amount of history that had already been established.

and how can one say, this is this because lucas said so? Lucas didn't even know what a sith was when he called vader a sith in the first trilogy. it just sounded cool. the history of the sith was an afterhtought following the trilogy, and probably only involved lucas's nod of approval.

Lucas is not God. he cannot say let there be light, and see that it is good. he is human. and most of the star wars universe was NOT constructed by him.

as far as Palpatine is concerned, you could be very right. after all just because no one has seen him fight up until now, does not mean he is not extremely powerful. i just can't really say as i have never seen him fight.

as far as the Sith and Dark Jedi, i was merely stating that at the beggining when those initial jedi fell, and fled, or were driven away. they settled on the sith planet and the two groups intermingled into one, until basically they were one and the same.. it states this in-game if i remember correctly. well, then the sith race pretty much goes into extinction. but what happened before this, you have jedi who learn of sith magic and this leads them to the darkside which leads them to the sith homeworld, which brings the two goups together. so in a way the sith were the original dark jedi, and the original dark jedi were sith. then the race goes extinct. and all that is left of the sith is an ideal, that is followed by what.....dark jedi. so i say once again, the two terms are pretty much synonomous. if you are to be a true dark jedi, in some way you are following the sith ideal. and if all sith are in this day and age are followers of an ideal, then what would that make those who follow that ideal. Technically Sith.
 Darth Stryke
02-03-2004, 2:25 AM
I never said Lucas was a God. But Lucas made up Star Wars, he approves the EU and he makes the films which are the ONLY things I take with more than a grain of salt. The EU is filled with too much crap and contradicts itself far too many times for me to buy into it all, so if Lucas says something goes, well he is right in my book since he made up Star Wars and he does in fact own the rights to it all. If he wanted to make 7,8, and 9 he could and nobody would stop him. Now I am not saying EU is total crap, because there are SOME good storylines like Exar Kun and the Sith wars and stuff. But I only consider the films canon, anything else is taken with a grain of salt as I said before. No offense, anyone who buys into the EU **over** the films is NOT a Star Wars fan, they are simply another Sci-Fi fanboy (or girl) who likes a book that may (or may not) be any good or have any relavance to the story it is based on. Now I apologize if I upset anyone, but it does get annoying when people try to take something that the films establish and simply discredit it for the Expanded Universe. The Films are the bottom line, if EU contradicts that, the film is correct-this is not like Lord of the Rings or something based off of a book, Star Wars is first and foremost comprised of the films. Discuss :D
 Kitty Kitty
02-03-2004, 4:26 AM
heh...

I've actually got a lot of arguments about this whole topic.. but I've also learned a long time ago that it's not generally worth the effort. Once this sort of debate begins, it pretty much winds up the same..

"well this is the way it is because..."
"well actually no, because so and so said...."

etc.. on and on. I've seen some interviews over the years which directly contradict a lot of what's been said through this little debate.. but considering they were merely bits and pieces which I personally happened to watch at the time, it's not like I can cite perfect references and quotes anymore. Some of this stuff goes back about 20 years after all. ;)

Anyways.. I guess the real point to my posting this is to say that several of you might have to consider the option of agreeing to disagree. Of all the various times I've seen debates exactly like this one pop up, I've never yet seen everyone in agreement in the end, except by simply agreeing to stop arguing. :)

Meh.. just my 2 cents.. or at least, the only 2 I really feel like tossing into this mess right now, as I don't want to get swept up arguing my side of many of the points I've seen. lol

-Kitty
 Lil' Jawa
02-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Me I don't think Hamill would play Luke again very well, just look at the bloke he looks horrible like he's really gone down in life since the movies now he's like a little lucas-wannabe(he even changed from his famous pot to lucas beardy-style :D).

Lucas did originally draw it out so Palpatine was to be the most powerful sith, just because Vader managed to do old-man toss with him dosn't make him less so as Vader was *pretty* strong too and caught him by surprise.
Oh and I've heard you'll see Palpy/Sid fighting Yoda in ep3, and Palpy winning(that's why Yoda goes into hiding). Sweet :)
 lord_blodgett
02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Lil' Jawa
Me I don't think Hamill would play Luke again very well, just look at the bloke he looks horrible like he's really gone down in life since the movies now he's like a little lucas-wannabe(he even changed from his famous pot to lucas beardy-style :D).

Lucas did originally draw it out so Palpatine was to be the most powerful sith, just because Vader managed to do old-man toss with him dosn't make him less so as Vader was *pretty* strong too and caught him by surprise.
Oh and I've heard you'll see Palpy/Sid fighting Yoda in ep3, and Palpy winning(that's why Yoda goes into hiding). Sweet :)

Yes, but he's also changed quite abit about the series. Let's see, Grand Moff Tarkin's no longer designed the Death Star. Anakin built C3-PO, etc...
 Darth Stryke
02-03-2004, 1:25 PM
I am not arguing to get someone to change their opinion, I simply like debating the ideas behind the whole SW universe. I do not expect anyone to change what the think or know is true. I am just giving my spin.
 eidospsogos
02-03-2004, 10:28 PM
i completely agree with you in most of what you said. however, what bothers me about it is this.

Lucas sold the rights to other people. he approved storylines, that may or may not contradict his original plots and intentions. HE allowed these contradictions to be constructed. and did so merely in the interest of money. yes the movies SHOULD always be taken above anything else established. but my problem is that Lucas himself allowed these contradictions to exist.

and in the case of him being able to make 7 8 and 9 if he wanted to, i am notm sure i can agree there. when he sold the rights to the timeline after the first trilogy, he lost the legal rights to EVER contraduict anything established by the authors he sold those rights to. so, he could make 7 8 and 9 ONLY if he made his sequels adhere to the history he sold the rights to.

this isn't a good versus bad plotline issue. this is a legal issue arising from the rights lucas himself sold away.

and how that change of who designed the death star crept in i will never know.
 Darth Stryke
02-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Hmm, I never heard that Tarkin was supposed to design the Deathstar. I personally liked that the Geonosian's designed it and a lot of the other Imperial gear as well. And of course the Kaminoans designed the other half was the future Imperial stuff, so it is interesting the way the belnding of those 2 cultures and designs came together to create the Empire. Even though it was an afterthought of Lucas', I think he did it quite well.
 juleswindu
02-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by eidospsogos
i completely agree with you in most of what you said. however, what bothers me about it is this.

Lucas sold the rights to other people.

Well, that's not exactly true. Lucas didn't sell the rights, he still keeps them. A publisher negotiates a license agreement with Lucasfilm to write some books, but the rights of the story and characters belong to Lucasfilm (even the new ones). The publisher just gets the right to exploit these characters in some books for a limited period of time.

he approved storylines, which may or may not contradict his original plots and intentions.

It's not Lucas who approves the storylines, it's the Production Editor of Lucasfilm Licensing Office (Lucas Licensing, LucasBooks or Lucas-whatever :p) who has the last word. And yes, Lucas owns these companies, but I don't think that he is very involved in this stuff.

As far as I know, he is only consulted when a mayor character is involved (as it was done with 'the Chewie issue' in Vector Prime).

HE allowed these contradictions to be constructed. and did so merely in the interest of money. yes the movies SHOULD always be taken above anything else established. but my problem is that Lucas himself allowed these contradictions to exist.

Certainly, but as you said, the movies are above everything else. The contradictions are allowed 'cause they don't care about them.

From a creator point of view, Lucas don't want to get his hands tied up because some spin-off books or comics. And from a business point of view, the UE is very profitable. So they let the UE be, with all his possible contradictions, and put the films on a higher 'layer'.

[i]and in the case of him being able to make 7 8 and 9 if he wanted to, i am notm sure i can agree there. when he sold the rights to the timeline after the first trilogy, he lost the legal rights to EVER contraduict anything established by the authors he sold those rights to. so, he could make 7 8 and 9 ONLY if he made his sequels adhere to the history he sold the rights to.

this isn't a good versus bad plotline issue. this is a legal issue arising from the rights lucas himself sold away.[/B]

But that's not true. As I said above, Lucas owns ALL the Star Wars stuff (well, Lucasfilm owns it), even the ones created by other people. He owns Exar Kun, Kyp Durron, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, .... It's not Lucas who sells his stuff, it's the writers who sell their creations to him.

And because all these characters and storylines belong to him, he has all the right to ignore them, or to rewrite them.

PS: If someone is interested in the process of writing a SW book, here (http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/drindex/22DRINNov.html) is an article where Sue Rostoni, Production Editor of Lucasfilm, explain it (it's almost at the bottom of the page, in the section named 'IN DEPTH'). It's dated in 1994 but I'm sure that the things have not change very much since then.
 eidospsogos
02-04-2004, 1:24 AM
hmmm. interesting and nice to know. thanks for clearing all that up. i was unaware it worked that way. especially after all i had read regarding the difficulties he had writing the first three movies to work it in with history constructed by others, and the greater problems dealing with the original plan for the 7, 8 and 9 sequels. maybe he was just trying ti be nice in amking them fit. who knows. but thanks for the info.
 lord_blodgett
02-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Hmm, I never heard that Tarkin was supposed to design the Deathstar. I personally liked that the Geonosian's designed it and a lot of the other Imperial gear as well. And of course the Kaminoans designed the other half was the future Imperial stuff, so it is interesting the way the belnding of those 2 cultures and designs came together to create the Empire. Even though it was an afterthought of Lucas', I think he did it quite well.

Oh, I don't have issues with it. I see SW as a work in progress myself. (Unlike some who throw a hairy fit over every little change.) But, I have played the PnP rog for some time now, and the original story line was that Tarkin had a think tank that designed most of the Empires toys. I.e. the Death Star, the AT-AT's, the command (or super) star destroyers.

Besides, if Lucas is willing to let us play in his backyard, I'm cool with it. :D
 eidospsogos
02-04-2004, 11:22 PM
well, i don't think a hairy fit should be thrown. you can't take a fictitious universe that seriously. but i do think it best to at least attempt to not establish contradictions within a created history of a universe. obviously with hundreds of different people contributing that cannot be completely avoided. but i think they should try alittle harder than they have been. i mean it could be worse, it could be the marvel comics universe. there is no way to take that universe seriously anymore. but i do not want to see the star wars universe turned into the jumbled up chaotic mess that is the marvel universe. especially if it's for the same reasons the marvel universe got so screwed up. money. "whoops looks like we killed a popular character, better find a way to bring them back whether it makes sense or not." i just think more care should be taken in approval of plotlines that could cast a shadow of doubt on the validity of the curently established history.
 lord_blodgett
02-05-2004, 7:29 PM
The problem is I don't think that Lucas ever really planned for it to get this big. There are what? A couple of hundred books, at least a dozen or so comic books and one x-mas special that every one would rather forget. Not to mention Star Wars Droids, all the different computer games and pnp game.

That's a lot to keep track of, not to mention try to keep in as a cohesive whole. Lucas Arts could either be a bunch of total storm troopers and say everything has to be completely approved by them first.

This involves reading everything. Approving everything. Knowing exactly what Lucas himself wants. This would eventually take all of the creativity out of th SW universe. Bleah!

Or doing what they're doing, which is approving things as they go and trying to keep the timeline intact as much as possible. It leads to inconsistanseis (sp?) but allows for a great deal of creativity.

Myself, I prefer the latter option. Sure it means that the history gets revised every time you turn around, but at least authors and game creators are given free reign to create immersive stories. That's why kotor was so good.
 Ellderon
02-06-2004, 9:49 AM
Personaly, I didn't like the second moive too much.

In my oppinion, Yoda should be all force, no saber fighting.

I mean, look at him...800 years old, knee high, OLD...
Sure, very wise, his longevity would allow him to master the Force better then anyone.

But seriously...swordfighting? He doesn't have the physical strength for something like that (and he has a shot lightsaber)
There's no way he could block attacks from someone 3 times his size.

I mean, if you gave the Rancor a lightsaber to match his size and sent him to fight Luke or Vader....sure...they could win...but they couldn't BLOCK his swings...
 lord_blodgett
02-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Ellderon
Personaly, I didn't like the second moive too much.

In my oppinion, Yoda should be all force, no saber fighting.

I mean, look at him...800 years old, knee high, OLD...
Sure, very wise, his longevity would allow him to master the Force better then anyone.

But seriously...swordfighting? He doesn't have the physical strength for something like that (and he has a shot lightsaber)
There's no way he could block attacks from someone 3 times his size.

I mean, if you gave the Rancor a lightsaber to match his size and sent him to fight Luke or Vader....sure...they could win...but they couldn't BLOCK his swings...

Yeah, it's kind of like having a player say I want to parry the great wyrm red dragon's bite.

DM: Umm, dude, it's like big enough to eat you and your horse without chewing. How are you going to parry it?

Player: With my short sword!

DM: Um ... ok. That fails miserably.

Player: You are so unfair! I'm never playing with you again!
 Kitty Kitty
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
1. Size means nothing... Granted.. the Yoda bit was a bit over the top, but honestly... it makes no difference if you're 400 lbs or 130. It's all in what you know how to do with it. And... we have to bear in mind that these are all beings who command the force. That tends to change the rules in ways that (presumably) we cannot even immagine. It'd be like if you watched first hand as some 120 lb "wimp" beat up the school bully by doing nothing other than pointing at him... The force moves those who understand and wield it in ways that those of us who cannot command it can't even begin to guess at.

Also, Yoda isn't *quite* so old in the prequels.. but that's another ball of wax.. ;)

2... And this will probably meet with a lot of crap.. but I've bitten my tongue too long.

I've seen interviews with Lucas.. at first, he DID try to control every last aspect of the SW universe. If you look back, you'll find that there were very few "add ons" to the EU back then. He HAD to have the final say in everything. Recently, he's relaxed that posture (note.. recently means about the last 15 years give or take...) He's only making himself richer by doing so.

But anyways... the way he told it in the interview I saw was that he had this whole thing planned (within reason).. but was unable to sell the screenplay for EP 1... He instead managed to sell the idea for EP 4, hence the first movie. But as I understand it.. the whole plot was (more or less) laid out and set down. Yes, he's made adaptations and changes as needed, but basically it all stil follows the pattern he laid out 20+ years ago.

Maybe I'm wrong... though if I am, he lied straight to the cameras... and even if that's the case.. he's a damn genius. No one has ever built somehting completely made up into what it's become today. I mean.. you can NOT say the words "Star wars" and have anyone say, "huh?" EVERYONE knows what you're talking about. So who cares if this matches that and if X is perfectly in line with Y.... It's a very cool fantasy universe, and he's rich as hell.. and laughing his way to the bank regardless of whether or not book Z follows the perfect plot or not eh? ;)

-Kitty

*edit - spelling error =p*
 Jolinar
02-06-2004, 6:25 PM
Well that was a drawn out and boring read... :D

So how is the retexturing coming along?

Jolinar
 Ellderon
02-06-2004, 6:42 PM
Granted that the Force can boost his strenght, but Dooku allso uses the Force. so if let's say it increases their strenghth by a factor of 10, Dooku would still clober Yoda, for he had greater strenghth to begin with...

lord_blodgett: LOL

:D
 Shimaon
02-07-2004, 2:03 AM
Originally posted by Ellderon
Granted that the Force can boost his strenght, but Dooku allso uses the Force. so if let's say it increases their strenghth by a factor of 10, Dooku would still clober Yoda, for he had greater strenghth to begin with...

lord_blodgett: LOL

:D
In my opinion, its kinda like this:
Yoda's species, whatever that is, appears only to become "old" within the last 5-10 years of their life, thus, in essence, Yoda was in his prime in Ep 2. Dooku, however, is a relatively old human, thus, their strengths are nearly equal, and Yoda's command with the force helps quite a bit.
 Darth Exar Kun
02-09-2004, 12:10 AM
what defines your prime when you live over 900 years?
 F-Bomb
02-10-2004, 12:50 AM
^^ Good point Exar.

My thing is that the Force wouldn't increase Dooku's and Yoda's physical skill by an equal amount. Yoda is much more skilled with the Force, thus the Force would increase his strength by a greater factor, correct?

So say Dooku gets a Force factor of 10. Yoda might have a Force factor of 15 or more. Thus, Yoda might be much more powerful, or equally as strong.
 lord_blodgett
02-10-2004, 1:01 PM
Originally posted by F-Bomb
^^ Good point Exar.

My thing is that the Force wouldn't increase Dooku's and Yoda's physical skill by an equal amount. Yoda is much more skilled with the Force, thus the Force would increase his strength by a greater factor, correct?

So say Dooku gets a Force factor of 10. Yoda might have a Force factor of 15 or more. Thus, Yoda might be much more powerful, or equally as strong.

"It's not what ya got it's how ya use it."

The Dragonball series deals with this all the time. Yoda could, in theory, use the Force to buff his stats to keep up with a younger, stronger, and let's not forget, faster force user. He definitely would have experience on his side.

Or as the old saying goes "Old and sneaky beats young and brash any day"
 Closter
02-10-2004, 7:47 PM
the same would happen when obione would kick anakin ass in the lava.The latter fight in death star do not apply since obione have not intention to live.
 Darth Exar Kun
02-10-2004, 8:39 PM
^^it was his intent to loose that fight he didn't actually try he wanted vader to kill him
 xphs_shinhwa
02-13-2004, 2:01 AM
hey dudes,

look to argue about exar is pointless unless u hv read all things related to him eg comics/novels/extracts etc.

anything else u want to know eg the 'truth' go ask the star wars personnel for heavens sake.

notes: kun did not decimate the entire jedi council to free ulic, that was the republic grand council; he only killed his master vodo siosk baas.

kun's dual saber was different to the kotor ones; note esp the hilt which is much shorter.

that avatar of eidospsogos, i believe was ulic qel droma not kun, who had long braided hair. that episode was also pretty much on ulic.

exar was notably one of the most powerful dark lords (not merely sith lord if u've read ur stuff). certainly better than anyone else after him. kun was also one of the more calculating types; he did not declare open war on the republic; that was ulic who had to 'prove his manhood'. kun sought greater planning. the debacle at coruscant lowered republic morale. the destruction of the jedi library on ossus was another calculated maneuveur. he lost essentially becos of ulic qel droma.

kun may very well hv been one of the greatest swordsman of that time, but so was ulic 'both were master swordsman'

even if not advented at that time, kun essentially followed the one master, one apprentice rule with him as dark lord n ulic as apprentice as so marked by the apparition of markos ragnos. sith may be dark jedi but dark jedi r not necessarily sith lords. that is common sense to anyone who hv read the star wars universe well enough.

geez....im getting a headache listening to all these comments from underknowledged ppl. pls research properly b4 making groundless statements.
Page: 2 of 2