Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Light question

Page: 1 of 1
 RalKon
01-28-2004, 8:02 PM
I know I am gonna probably sound dumb for asking this, but its the first time I have run across it and so I dont understand it exactly.

I am sure that everyone knows when you create a light you can change it properties in many different ways. I found one here recently that just popped up in the entity window while doing a JA map.... its the "Scale" option.... I guess I dont understand what it is meant for... it appears to read that it controls the intensity of the light.... If that is the case, why not just change the light key to be less (ie: light = 600 down to light = 300)

So whats the difference, or am I completely missing the point of the option??

Thanks
 Torchy
01-28-2004, 9:03 PM
scale sets how far the light is spread, it doesnt make it any brighter.

think of the light value (eg 300) as the amount and scale how far it goes. scale of .5 would concentrate the light inside half of the radius. scale 3 would spread it three times further
 WadeV1589
01-28-2004, 9:57 PM
Isn't it the other way around, scale controls light intensity without modifying the distance the light travels? When you increase the light value, you increase the distance the light travels too, with scale you can make a light brighter without making it travel further.

Yeah I thought so
"scale" multiplier for the light intensity - does not affect size (default 1)
greater than 1 is brighter, between 0 and 1 is dimmer.
 RalKon
01-29-2004, 9:42 PM
ok, so lets see if I am in correct in my understanding here.....

If I create a light with the value of say 50..... and scale it to the value of 9.... the light wont get any brighter but anything within the lights radius will be at th 50 setting intensity????

am I right on this or do I have it backwards??
 Lil Killa
01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
making thee skale higher is like adding more lights in one spot. making the scale 9 will make the light really bright. most people lower the sclae on lights so they can use large light values but they don't get the light "spots" you get when placing a light ent close to a brush or other surface.
 Torchy
01-30-2004, 8:01 AM
aha! sorry for the misinformation people :p
Page: 1 of 1