Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Leviathan Ingame Model

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Post
01-27-2004, 3:18 PM
Maybe someone can help me:

I am looking for the full textured Leviathan ingame model and the file it is in. Furthermore i dont know what kind of 3D Program is necessary to view the model (3ds max, lightray). Maybe someone has even extract the model and the textures and can help me now, or someone knows who to get to the model and textures.
 Hyarmendacil
01-27-2004, 5:57 PM
As far as I know the leviathian you see in the game is only a rendering. There probably isnt any model.
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2004, 6:12 PM
Yup, its CGI in every cutscene, so you'd have to make a model of it from scratch yourself.
 Darth Post
01-27-2004, 6:57 PM
I think after your encounter with Malak on the Leviathan and you flee, it is an ingame model that you can see when you are firing with the turret guns. you have different angles towards the Leviathan and it doesnґt seem to be a bitmap or anything like that.
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 7:09 PM
All the turret games use "Skybox" covers.

Whether these use any sort of conventional models or not, I don't know.. but my guess would be no. At least, not in the sense you want anyway.

-Kitty
 Darth Post
01-28-2004, 5:12 PM
Okay, that could be possible. But where are the skyboxes for the turret games? I am searching for graphics, but i canґt find them.
 gameunlimited
01-28-2004, 6:01 PM
although im not 100% sure, i think i came across the texture for both ebon hawk and leviathan somewhere in there. maybe there is the model. however, even then, there is no program that can open the 3d model of kotor. at least not yet.
 Psycho Monkey
01-28-2004, 7:40 PM
:eek:Wait!you can upload the models to a 3D program? I have Maya 4.5 and would love to see them in it, how is it done?
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 8:29 PM
Originally posted by Psycho Monkey
:eek:Wait!you can upload the models to a 3D program? I have Maya 4.5 and would love to see them in it, how is it done?

We can't yet.

We still have yet to crack the format used for the models, so for now, they remain completely non-editable or creatable.

We're working on it, but it's progressing slowly. Bloody annoying formats.. lol

-Kitty
 eidospsogos
01-28-2004, 10:48 PM
who didn't know game models could be brought into a modeling program? :) i mean seriosuly people where do you think they created THEIR models. some super secret of the trade program. the standard for models in games, however, is 3dsmax.

the only issues arise in finding the correct import/export plugins that would allow you to import the model in it's game format. usch as ja and jo's ghoul2 format. but from what i saw the model files are just .mdl's. so what's the problem exactly. that a pretty strandard format for most all 3d modeling programs. so, let me guess, they used some wacky variation of the .mdl format in order to keep people from getting into them?
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by eidospsogos
who didn't know game models could be brought into a modeling program? :) i mean seriosuly people where do you think they created THEIR models. some super secret of the trade program. the standard for models in games, however, is 3dsmax.

the only issues arise in finding the correct import/export plugins that would allow you to import the model in it's game format. usch as ja and jo's ghoul2 format. but from what i saw the model files are just .mdl's. so what's the problem exactly. that a pretty strandard format for most all 3d modeling programs. so, let me guess, they used some wacky variation of the .mdl format in order to keep people from getting into them?

Ayep.

Whatever they did, it was probably custom inhouse export filters, and since they're not releasing anything.. we don't have access to it.

You'd be amazed at how even subtle differences can change a model from a recognizable format into so much aparent garbage.. until someone manages to work the mess out and unravel it anyways. ;)

-Kitty
 Psycho Monkey
01-30-2004, 1:44 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by eidospsogos
who didn't know game models could be brought into a modeling program? i mean seriosuly people where do you think they created THEIR models. some super secret of the trade program. the standard for models in games, however, is 3dsmax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh please, give me little more credit. I know it's possible to upload them but, like Kitty said, I thought the format would have prevented it.
 eidospsogos
01-30-2004, 2:05 AM
well, i usually try to give credit where it's due. but you have to admit, that just because someone is on this board doesn't mean they have a huge plethora of knowledge to impart to the modding community.

you seemed genuinely shocked by the idea of models being opened in a modeling program. :) sorry i misinterpreted. to be honest with you, i had assumed they would have some weird extension. and was shocked to see the .mdl's when i was perusing through the files with kotor tool. but i figured at the very least they had done something crazy with the format. glad that was confirmed before i tried spending the entire night trying to figure out why max wasn't opening the files. :)
 Drakron
01-31-2004, 1:35 AM
Well one thing I can say, it appears there are textures for the Levianthan, the Blockade runner and the Hammer ships as well for the Sith and Republic fighters.

They start as V_ in ERF/TexturePacks/swpc_tex
Page: 1 of 1