Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with a new armor creation project please?

Page: 1 of 1
 Destinystrike
01-27-2004, 5:03 AM
Howdy again folks,

Now i'll admit that i'm not at all skilled at creating mods. But i am considered an 'idea man' of sorts. I come up with ideas that are hopefully possible in certain circumstances, and hopefully ones that people like. And today i have had just such an idea.

However before this idea can come to fruitation I need to know one simple thing. Is it possible to use different parts of armor and clothing models on different ones. For example. Totally remove the head and cape from the cutscene Darth Revan's robes? Remove the helmet from mandalorian armor and put it on a different suit of armor. And more complicated parts, like removing the FACE of the mandalorian helmet, taking part of the vacume mask, and part of the air filter and creating a new helmet. Or taking the upper body of the Star Forge robes, and adding them to the lower body of standard jedi knight robes, and then adding the boots from the star forge robes.

As one can see, these idea's are ambitious, however, they will greatly increase the replay value of the game i hope. While the robes such as the starforge robe and revans robes are more then adequate, some may like to have their character in pants. Personally i LOVE and i mean ~~LOVE~~ the mod that kitty made for me. (Taking colors from revans robes and replacing the brown on the star forge robes with them) and it's what gave me the idea for this little project. Sadly, i can only come up with ideas and well balenced stats for these items. Though if at all needed i am an artist and i can draw out blueprints if needed.

Here are two of my current ideas.

Item to replace: Mask of Tulak Hord
Replace with: Revans Cowl

Basically this is pretty simple. What it does is usethe mask, hood and cowl of revans cape from the cut scenes in the game and create them as an item. Now from what i've seen the cape in itself glitches horribly when your character tries to run. The feet of your character just protrude through the cape. So i have 2 solutions (one i don't even know if its possible) If the cape is to be included, it could be trimmed to around the level of the buttocks, or the cape could be omitted entirely.

Item Purpose: This will make the Circlet of Saresh a more unique item because ...well...lets face it. The mask of tulak hord isnt a mask. Its a pair of golden doofaddles that rest on your jaws. Woohaw.

-------------

Item to Replace: Revan' Robes
Replace With: Revan's Robes (from the cut scenes)

I know a good chunk of folk that don't like the robes you find in the star forge very much. I liked part of the color scheme, and the lovely Kitty made me some gorgeous robes (that i'm still obsessing over aparrently). This would use the attire reven wore in the cut scenes. However, if the clothes are damaged due to the cape and mask and hood being removed a fast and efficient fix would be to use the upper torso of the revans robes the PC can get.

Item Purpose: The robes add a touch more accuracy to the game. Giving the sensation of a direct replica of the clothes and not just some shoddy offshot.
-----------------

Well those are just 2 ideas for now. I won't go into more because...well, i don't know if these zany ideas are even possible. Let alone if anybody will take time to try them. However, i only speak these ideas for the love of the folk that enjoy this game. I know from playing with these new robes that just a tad of new clothing can breathe life into an otherwise stail experience. And of course, make you look like a total badass in the process.

Sincerely,

Destinystrike
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 5:12 AM
Short answer.. No.

Slightly longer answer.. not until we crack the format used for the models.

Once we know how those work, we can try to get them into an editor. If we can edit or create models, we can do pretty much whatever we want. Until then, the best you can hope for is to pick a base body, pick a head, and then apply an armor (optional). But we can't cut and paste them, other than the textures, which isn't enough to do the sort of things you're envisioning.

Hate to dissapoint.. but that level of changes just aren't possible.....YET. ;)

-Kitty
 Destinystrike
01-27-2004, 5:17 AM
So wait...if we can only snag a head and body. Does that mean it would be possible to attain an accurate version of darth bandons fiber armor by simply snagging darth bandons body and ripping off his head? (God that sounded so much more painful then it is)

I had a feeling my ideas wouldnt be possible. Though i do also have ideas for simple texture and other snags.

Secondly, you said that the head can be chosen, i'm only hopeing that characters exclusively from cut scenes are created in the same way? If thats the case, would the whole Darth Revan idea i had work? Just by ripping his head from his torso?

And thanks again for your reply Kitty Kitty

Destinystrike
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 5:38 AM
Originally posted by Destinystrike
So wait...if we can only snag a head and body. Does that mean it would be possible to attain an accurate version of darth bandons fiber armor by simply snagging darth bandons body and ripping off his head? (God that sounded so much more painful then it is)

It's possible. However, it would require some testing at a minimum, as some of the models (and if I remember right he was one of 'em) don't have a full set of animations.. or at least, not the SAME ones the players use. Meaning it might take some serious doing to get right, but in theory, it'd work.

I had a feeling my ideas wouldnt be possible. Though i do also have ideas for simple texture and other snags.

Secondly, you said that the head can be chosen, i'm only hopeing that characters exclusively from cut scenes are created in the same way? If thats the case, would the whole Darth Revan idea i had work? Just by ripping his head from his torso?

And thanks again for your reply Kitty Kitty

Destinystrike

Now that I'm not sure about. To be completely honest, because Darth Revan (in that guise) only appears in cutscenes to begin with, I'm not even certain whether or not he HAS a head. Again, at least in theory, it would work to a point.. But I'd have to muck around with it to find out.

For starters, open up "Appearance.2da" and "Heads.2da"

In appearance, you'll see a colum that sets the standard head for each player or NPC. If you look at the heads file, you'll see that the number you find in appearance.2da corresponds to the first colum in heads.2da (IE.. Mission's head is listed as 6. If you look in heads.2da, the line starting with a 6 is indeed Mission's head.)

Soo.. you could start up a game, and as soon as you get to Taris, make a save slot.. then go in those files and change Carth's body and head to your heart's content and load it up repeatedly to see what works and what doesn't.. remembering of course that textures can be changed, though it's a little more involved.. especially for the heads.

But that'd be a start. ;)

And you're welcome =)

-Kitty
Page: 1 of 1