Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mission w/o twilek appendages possible?

Page: 1 of 1
 Nedumaran
01-27-2004, 12:49 AM
You know I like everything about the model for Mission. I can even live with the blue color.

Is it possible to make her head human that is replace the appendages with a nice hairstyle?

Any help will be appreciated.
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 1:04 AM
Erm.. sorta.

I could hack something together for you.. But.. it would be just that, a hack, until we can alter/edit models in a real sense.

If you really want something on this line, pick a player head you want (ignore color - just go for style) Or I suppose an NPC would work too most likely.. Give me a screenshot or two, or even better the model name and I can put something together.

Just don't wanna bother messing with it till I know a little more specifically what you want.. doesn't do me much good to do the hack and you still not like it.

-Kitty
 Nedumaran
01-27-2004, 1:31 AM
Thanks a whole lot Kitty!

I do like Mission's face (without the stuff on her head).

However, the young jedi who is killed by Brandon on Endar Spire, the very first cutscene, her face will do nicely. Not a lot of young faces really in the game.

Appreciate your help.

May be I can learn to do some the stuff you do and from all your great research.
 bantha poo doo
01-27-2004, 1:37 AM
thats one of the portraits you can choose with a female character.
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 1:52 AM
I'm guessing you still want her blue and such (as Mission is now)?

Going to look a bit odd if not assuming I use the same body.

And I'm trying to track that Jedi down.. because she's only in a cutscene, she's not specifically "placed" as an NPC / entity on the Endar Spire.. so it's being a pain about giving me her filenames.

-Kitty
 Stone-D
01-27-2004, 2:56 AM
Originally posted by Kitty Kitty
And I'm trying to track that Jedi down.. because she's only in a cutscene, she's not specifically "placed" as an NPC / entity on the Endar Spire.. so it's being a pain about giving me her filenames.

Ahhh, but note that you get to loot her lovely corpse shortly thereafter. :)
 darthface
01-27-2004, 1:28 PM
I think thats female C 01
unless you choose that head yourself, then it would be something else..
 Nedumaran
01-27-2004, 1:59 PM
Thanks Kitty, awaiting with bated breath....

Darthface: Thanks, fortunately I don't use that face...
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2004, 6:17 PM
Hey Kitty, while you are in this thread, I have a question for you. Using the same method, would it be possible to make Darth Bandon's outfit as a player outfit? I am guessing I would have to edit the appearance.2da, but just curious how that would be done without changing models.
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by BoL_Stryke
Hey Kitty, while you are in this thread, I have a question for you. Using the same method, would it be possible to make Darth Bandon's outfit as a player outfit? I am guessing I would have to edit the appearance.2da, but just curious how that would be done without changing models.

Using this method, that's exactly what you'd have to do (change the models). The easiest way to do it would be to open up Appearance.2da

Now scan down and find the model you're using, which will be somewhere between labels 91 - 180.

To narrow this down a little...

They all start out with "P_" (player)
then "FEM_" or "MAL_" (gender, duh ;))

91 - 135 are female players
136 - 180 are male players
Anything that ends with "SML" is for a Scoundrel
Anything that ends with "MED" is for a Scout
Anything that ends with "LRG" is for a Soldier

Right before those, there's always an "A", "B", or "C"
A = Asian
B = Black
C = Caucasian

So let's say you play a male caucasian soldier. (base starting class) - This would be P_MAL_C_MED_

Now the ending is just 01, 02, 03, 04, or 05. Simply put, this is the order you find them in when scrolling through head choices in the character creation menu. But if you don't know which you're using, at least it's not hard to find with trial and error.

Just make a quicksave with no clothes on, and then exit the game. Change the entry for the line you want to test in the "modela" and "texa" colums to say "N_DarthBand" and then write the appearance.2da to \Override.

Load up KotOR and load your savegame. You will NOT see any changes in the preview picture, you MUST load the game again to notice changes. If your character looks like Bandon (with the wrong head) you found the right one. If they look like they did, exit, change the values you changed to "N_DarthBand" back to what they were, and go to the next possible entry and change THOSE to "N_DarthBand" in the same place.

Rinse repeat until your ingame character model changes. Then you know which one you're using.

Now... from this point, you have to decide what armor(s) you want to make you look like Bandon. The way it works is fairly simple.

modela / texa = "underwear"
texaevil = "Evil underwear (20 or more points into dark side)

modelb / texb = "clothes"
modelc / texc = "class 4 armors"
modeld / texd = "class 5 armors"
modele / texe = "class 6 armors"
modelf / texf = "class 7 armors"
modelg / texg = "class 8 armors"
modelh / texh = "class 9 armors"
modeli / texi = "Jedi Robes"
modelj / texj = "Star forge or Revan Robes"

Now.. since we can't edit the models, I'm not *positive* but I believe that modela and texa are always in effect, and then the proper armor model/texture are layered over them.

Also note.. if you look at the entry for say a class 4 armor texture... you'll see something like "PMBC" (this corresponds directly to texture filenames). The thing to note is there is no number or extention. In the files, there'll be like 6 actual textures that start "PMBC" and have 01 - 06 tacked on. The game knows which armor you put on, and calls up the apropriate number added onto the "PMBC"

Anyway.. the point is, you'll have to sorta play around with it and see what seems to work. If you can't get it working right, let me know and I'll try to add it to my huge pile of crap to do. ;)

-Kitty
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2004, 7:12 PM
Cool, thanks for your help. I'll start working on it as soon as I get home from work.
 Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 7:19 PM
Working on this, and need to know a few things.

1. Are you using any other mods? (Specifically, anything that alters appearance.2da, portraits.2da, or heads.2da - look in your override folder for these files if you're unsure)

2. Do you want Mission to look "just like she does" only with hair and no tentacles, but still blue-faced to match her body (as your post seemed to suggest), or would you rather a total conversion where she looks entirely "human", as in a flesh colored head and body that totally override her normal appearance?

I can do it either way. Frankly, the "just make her human" would be easier, but not enough easier to make much of a real difference, so just let me know which way you want me to go.

But I definitely need to know if you have pre-modified files (those mentioned above) before I can make anything that's going to definitely work for you.

Anyways... :)

-Kitty
 Nedumaran
01-27-2004, 9:01 PM
1. No, I'm not using any other mods. (Once in a while I try the padawan mod, but it has none of the files you allude to).

2. Actually, it will be great to retain Mission "as is" but for tentacles replaced by black hair, iow, blue-faced to match her body.

Thanks again...
 darthface
01-27-2004, 9:32 PM
I don't think it's possible to seperate hair from the head model, so the best that could happen is another female head model with the skin colored blue. Maybe Kitty knows better, though
 eidospsogos
01-27-2004, 10:50 PM
hey, cool. a way to get bandon's REAL armor. that's helpful. i'll be sure to mess around with that.

and if one more person calls him darth BRANDON i am going to go insane. this is STAR WARS. not Beverly Hills 90210. geez.
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 1:40 AM
Well it's not perfect...

But, with as much crap as I have to do right now, it's what I've got for the moment. ;)

Give it a try, see what you think.. yell at me if I goofed something up. ;D

Just extract the zip file directly to your KotOR\Override folder. Should do the trick.

Human Mission (http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/KK_Mission_01.zip)

Have fun!

-Kitty
 Shimaon
01-28-2004, 2:07 AM
Well it's not perfect...

But, with as much crap as I have to do right now, it's what I've got for the moment. ;)

Give it a try, see what you think.. yell at me if I goofed something up. ;D

Just extract the zip file directly to your KotOR\Override folder. Should do the trick.

Human Mission (http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/KK_Mission_01.zip)

Have fun!

-Kitty
I'd love to test this out myself, but do you have a screenshot of it by chance?
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 4:01 AM
Here.. they're not the best shots...

http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/images/Mission1.jpg) http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/images/Mission2.jpg)

I'm using a custom character which has files that conflict with this mod because I don't want mission de-tailed. Sooo.. instead of modifying my game files again only to have to put them back, I just made a new game and warped over and snapped a couple in the lower cantina.

Lighting is bad, which I brightened a little, but it also makes these images look kinda crappy IMO. Also, if the coloration of her face is actually this far off from her body, it didn't show that way while I was playing... meh.. dunno =p

But it'll give you an idea of what's what.. As I said.. nothing superb.. kinda a rush job for now since I have so much to do both professionally as well as on my "free time". ;)

-Kitty
 Zod
01-28-2004, 8:14 AM
Hey Kitty do you think you can send me the normal textures for that female head and her portrait? Also Missions body and underwear textures because I want to make her look like a normal human.
Thanks.
 Nedumaran
01-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Kitty:

This is just great. She looks... adorable.

I have run the game with your Mission and it works flawlessly.

Looking at the file list, i also learned a little bit about how to do something like this. Well, i probably won't be able to do it myself, but i am starting to understand what you did.

Once again, thanks for making this game more enjoyable.
 Kitty Kitty
01-28-2004, 2:53 PM
Originally posted by Zod
Hey Kitty do you think you can send me the normal textures for that female head and her portrait? Also Missions body and underwear textures because I want to make her look like a normal human.
Thanks.

I can. But if you grab Fred Tetra's tool and tpc2tga, you can pull these all out of the texture packs very easily. Mission's textures are easy enough to find. Just open swpc_tex_tpa.erf (high res package) and scroll way down to the P_ ones and extract anything that says P_Mission.

Now... for the head. I had to hex-edit the head model I used as it was to get it to use a custom texture. All you'd need to do to make Mission's head "normal human" is go in appearance.2da (Again, with Fred's editor), find the line for mission. Also open Heads.2da and portraits.2da.

In heads.2da, find the PFHxxxx lines.. I think they start at index 26. The one I used is a hacked version of 36 I believe. Anyway, in the Appearance.2da file, find the colum for 'normalhead' (which will be a 6). Just put in the number of a head you want to try, write the file to the \override folder, and have a look in game. Repeat till you find one you like. If you do this, there won't even be a need to edit her face texture at all.

Once you find what you want, you can then change her portrait to look right. Just look at portraits.2da, find index #35, and change the second box (which should read po_pmission - unless you edit my modified one which will be something a little different), and change that box to read po_pfhXN X=a b or c and n is the number. These should match the choice you settled on for the head you liked on her. (so po_pfhc1 for the one I did).

Then you can re-color her 2 body skins any way you want and put them in override (or you could actually point her appearance.2da file to just use the body that goes well with the head you chose if you'd rather) and save that/those files to override also.

It probably sounds complex.. but really, it's not. You mostly just have to edit a few data fields, then write the files to override. If you really screw something up, just delete the files, or open them up again from the .BIF files and re-write them to override with different changes.

Originally posted by Nedumaran
Kitty:

This is just great. She looks... adorable.

I have run the game with your Mission and it works flawlessly.

Looking at the file list, i also learned a little bit about how to do something like this. Well, i probably won't be able to do it myself, but i am starting to understand what you did.

Once again, thanks for making this game more enjoyable.

Glad you like it. Feel free to look in the modified 2DAs to see where the data lines up with things. The only thing you won't be able to see easily, is that as mentioned above, I had to hex edit the head model file (the .mdl portion), and change all the references to the base texture, since all the heads seem to load their "base" (neutral to full LS) texture directly instead of from any field in a 2da.

I may do some tinkering late to see if it's possible to change that behavior, but for now, this solution worked. :)

-Kitty
 axelthorpe
01-31-2004, 6:20 AM
Using this method, that's exactly what you'd have to do (change the models). The easiest way to do it would be to open up Appearance.2da

Now scan down and find the model you're using, which will be somewhere between labels 91 - 180.

To narrow this down a little...

They all start out with "P_" (player)
then "FEM_" or "MAL_" (gender, duh ;))

91 - 135 are female players
136 - 180 are male players
Anything that ends with "SML" is for a Scoundrel
Anything that ends with "MED" is for a Scout
Anything that ends with "LRG" is for a Soldier

Right before those, there's always an "A", "B", or "C"
A = Asian
B = Black
C = Caucasian

So let's say you play a male caucasian soldier. (base starting class) - This would be P_MAL_C_MED_

Now the ending is just 01, 02, 03, 04, or 05. Simply put, this is the order you find them in when scrolling through head choices in the character creation menu. But if you don't know which you're using, at least it's not hard to find with trial and error.

Just make a quicksave with no clothes on, and then exit the game. Change the entry for the line you want to test in the "modela" and "texa" colums to say "N_DarthBand" and then write the appearance.2da to \Override.

Load up KotOR and load your savegame. You will NOT see any changes in the preview picture, you MUST load the game again to notice changes. If your character looks like Bandon (with the wrong head) you found the right one. If they look like they did, exit, change the values you changed to "N_DarthBand" back to what they were, and go to the next possible entry and change THOSE to "N_DarthBand" in the same place.

Rinse repeat until your ingame character model changes. Then you know which one you're using.

Now... from this point, you have to decide what armor(s) you want to make you look like Bandon. The way it works is fairly simple.

modela / texa = "underwear"
texaevil = "Evil underwear (20 or more points into dark side)

modelb / texb = "clothes"
modelc / texc = "class 4 armors"
modeld / texd = "class 5 armors"
modele / texe = "class 6 armors"
modelf / texf = "class 7 armors"
modelg / texg = "class 8 armors"
modelh / texh = "class 9 armors"
modeli / texi = "Jedi Robes"
modelj / texj = "Star forge or Revan Robes"

Now.. since we can't edit the models, I'm not *positive* but I believe that modela and texa are always in effect, and then the proper armor model/texture are layered over them.

Also note.. if you look at the entry for say a class 4 armor texture... you'll see something like "PMBC" (this corresponds directly to texture filenames). The thing to note is there is no number or extention. In the files, there'll be like 6 actual textures that start "PMBC" and have 01 - 06 tacked on. The game knows which armor you put on, and calls up the apropriate number added onto the "PMBC"

Anyway.. the point is, you'll have to sorta play around with it and see what seems to work. If you can't get it working right, let me know and I'll try to add it to my huge pile of crap to do. ;)

-Kitty

I quess the same method applies to Revan's full armor and the dark jedi armor (sith armor without helmet), right?

But how will I find them? And is it possible to change only the darkside robes?
Page: 1 of 1