Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sound Problems in XP

Page: 1 of 1
 tox421
01-26-2004, 2:26 AM
Ok,

When I've tried to run Grim Fandango, (or Curse of Monkey Island, for that matter, and I'm sure Escape from Monkey Island when I play it) sound effects, music and voice both run fine for about a minute or two and then they cut out, sometimes allowing the game to continue and occasionally locking the game up. I just purchased all three of the games. My computer is a 2.8 GIG Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading, 512 MB RAM. I have tried to adjust the sound acceleration by using DirectX Diagnostic Tool which did not work. I also tried entering my BIOS to turn off the Hyper-Threading for when I play the games, but I can't find Hyper-Threading in my BIOS. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thank you.

David Johnson
 Thrik
01-26-2004, 8:40 AM
Well, from checking out past posts it looks like hyper-threading is almost certainly your problem. I'm not sure quite how you'd go about disabling it since I don't have it myself, but I'm sure a search on Gewgle.com (http://www.gewgle.com) or this forum will yield some kind of result.

Click here (http://www.lucasforums.com/search.php?forumid=225&s=&action=showresults&searchid=48787&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) to view past posts containing the term "hyper-threading".
 GhosTFAcE
03-10-2004, 4:34 PM
i wonder why ht does this sence ht is just a way to make a virtual cpu...
when you have ht activated in your bios you don't hve to use it... and the sound dissapares when the files of some reason are interupted. (press f1, end of a sound track and sutch...) but if the game interupts it self the sound will continue...
strange... there is a trick you can do but is annoying and thats to save the game... and insted of just restarting it you click on play from last saved state... this way you don't have to press f1... but anyway... the game doesn't lock up you can press f1 and this will work... the dialogs are comeing but they aren't able to start and that way not able to finnish so the sounds and the game wont continue... but you can interupt a dialog by pressing "." yepp dott... as long i can remember this button can be used to stop dialogs in all lucas arts adventure games. you wont get nothing so i think i will miss a good game of grim..
 GhosTFAcE
03-10-2004, 4:41 PM
Originally posted by tox421
Ok,

When I've tried to run Grim Fandango, (or Curse of Monkey Island....

David Johnson

You can play curse of monkey island perfectly by using the scumm vm program!
you'll get it at www.scummvm.com)
good luck
too bad grim fandango isn't a scumm vm game...
Page: 1 of 1