Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Editing text reference in the inventory

Page: 1 of 1
 juleswindu
01-25-2004, 3:35 PM
Does anybody knows how to edit the text references of the items in the inventory?

thx
 Hoa_Binh
01-25-2004, 3:49 PM
Do you mean the item descriptions?

If that is what you mean they are stored in dialog.tlk.

/HB

(edit)

And to edit them, look for the TLK editor in the NWN Vault homepage. Should work for the TLK files in KotOR too.
 eidospsogos
01-25-2004, 4:44 PM
you can view them with the editor. how to edit the entries remains to be seen.

[EDIT] does anyone know how to edit the dialog.tlk file?
 eiz
01-25-2004, 4:51 PM
You can edit dialog.tlk with a TLK editor.

That's not actually necessary. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121103) The only time you are actually forced to use a strref is in 2das.
 Kitty Kitty
01-25-2004, 4:57 PM
Originally posted by Hoa_Binh

And to edit them, look for the TLK editor in the NWN Vault homepage. Should work for the TLK files in KotOR too. [/B]

If that doesn't work, then there's no way to do it for KotOR yet that I would know of.

There's something else to keep in mind however. There was a similar limitation for many mods in NWN, and even there in a multiplayer game, most modders avoided actually changing this file.

Reason being... This is a LARGE file. And besides not wanting to take the time to download it (the thing is over 5 meg for KotOR, and I think it was considerably larger for NWN), a lot of people don't want to change it at all.

Like say I decide to make a custom item. So I add like 3 entries to the file. Ok fine.. now Jawa or someone makes a couple items. Well their items and my item happen to both use the same reference numbers. Hmm...

With a large file like this, you can see where it quickly gets messy, and why people wouldn't want to DL 5+ megs just so the spiffy new saber you made has unique text strings.

Now I'm not saying don't bother.. just pointing out that whenever modding in ways you think you'll ever want to actually release.. TRY very hard to never actually have to change dialog.tlk to do it. It's a good habbit to get into. ;)

-Kitty
 eidospsogos
01-25-2004, 5:09 PM
okay then. how do you edit an item's description without editing the dialog.tlk file.
 Kitty Kitty
01-25-2004, 5:11 PM
Honestly, I haven't tried it yet myself. But Eiz suggested doing it in an alternate way in this thread: Link (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121103) (as he posted above) :)

-Kitty
 eiz
01-25-2004, 5:12 PM
It's explained in the linked thread. Basically you need to set the strref to -1 and add an entry for your language.
 eidospsogos
01-25-2004, 5:57 PM
hey thanks alot. any idea what the gender option is for?
 eidospsogos
01-25-2004, 6:25 PM
one more question. this works. but i am getting white squares in the black background of the gui. i am assuming there are coming after hard line breaks(you know hitting enter). anyone know how to get rid of them?

[EDIT] i got rid of them, but only by opening the gff for the emporium and copying out the marks used to make hard returns. does anyone know if this is a common keyboard character or where it is found, etc? i would hate to have to open another .gff everytime i want to change an item' s description.
 andargor
01-28-2004, 7:40 PM
Originally posted by eidospsogos
[EDIT] i got rid of them, but only by opening the gff for the emporium and copying out the marks used to make hard returns. does anyone know if this is a common keyboard character or where it is found, etc? i would hate to have to open another .gff everytime i want to change an item' s description.

KotOR outputs text line breaks as newline (0x0A), а la UNIX. GFF Editor converts any text pasted as DOS format (carriage return 0x0C and then newline 0x0A). I've had to do the same kind of fiddling you did to get GFF Editor to take only newlines.

Andargor
Page: 1 of 1