Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

patches?

Page: 1 of 1
 Venom666
01-24-2004, 9:39 AM
does anone know when there will be a new patch coz the 1.01 wasn't a realy good one ok it fixed a few things that where nessesary but the single saber engine is bugged as hell (me wonders why they didn't just copie the jk2 single saber engine that was next to perfect and added the new moves and sabers to it)

for the rest its a great game
 DarkLord60
01-24-2004, 12:26 PM
I seriously doubt they will make a second patch.
 GothiX
01-24-2004, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by Venom666
(me wonders why they didn't just copie the jk2 single saber engine that was next to perfect and added the new moves and sabers to it)

Yeah. Because that's what they did.
 Crow_Nest
01-24-2004, 1:31 PM
Of coruse Raven will make a 2nd patch, but not so soon i guess....

does anone know when there will be a new patch coz the 1.01 wasn't a realy good one

You're damn right :thumbsup: Only made the game worse.
 Kurgan
01-24-2004, 4:08 PM
Wait I thought that's what they did (copied the JK2 single saber "engine" and added the new moves and sabers)?

Or are you criticizing the way they tweaked the special moves (ie: the DFA and the "yellow DFA" flip)?

Because that's all that's really changed since 1.04 that I can see.

Unless you care to elaborate...

And yes, as was said, no announced plans for a new patch after 1.01.

There was some speculation of a 1.02 patch based on people poking through the SDK source, however as we all know LA makes the decision to allow Raven to make a patch and since they aren't talking, we have no way of knowing for sure. Considering they aren't going to be changing gameplay (as they've said many times in the past) I highly doubt a new patch would do anything but fix bugs/exploits which is what 1.01 did.
 Samuel Dravis
01-24-2004, 8:24 PM
And add more maps...siege maps...hopefully. Realistically, it probably won't happen, but hope springs eternal.
 DarkLord60
01-24-2004, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Of coruse Raven will make a 2nd patch, but not so soon i guess....

why do you think that?
 Crow_Nest
01-25-2004, 1:54 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
why do you think that?

Cause the first one aint that good. And everyone agrees.
 MasteR PudsLiG
01-25-2004, 10:45 AM
The patch missed out alot of bugs mainly in siege, they can't just abandon the unfinished yet released gametype.
 shukrallah
01-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Just because we say its bad, doesnt mean that they are going to make a patch. I dont see them making one. Why? Because they released the SDK (the code) if they alter the code no mods will work (or work properly)

Why release the game code, when they are not done altering it? Makes no sense, because they will just have to release the updated SDK, or just not bother, which will also leave some coders not so happy.

What they could do, however, is make mods for it. I would welcome that. Maybe they will release a new map pack. The main problem is, half the community doesnt DL maps... and i bet the majority of the people wont even know that Raven has released new maps. Look how many servers run the new maps now. All I know is, if Raven/lucasarts decides to release something else, it will hopefully, spark some life back into the community.
 Jedi_Vogel
01-26-2004, 7:12 AM
Are there any more maps available other than those added to lucasfiles? Or am I missing something? :p
 Crow_Nest
01-26-2004, 7:16 AM
There are many more maps (not siege :p) on www.jk3files.com) and www.pcgamemods.com)
 Prime
01-26-2004, 2:38 PM
does anone know when there will be a new patchVery likely never.

coz the 1.01 wasn't a realy good one ok it fixed a few things that where nessesary but the single saber engine is bugged as hell (me wonders why they didn't just copie the jk2 single saber engine that was next to perfect and added the new moves and sabers to it) Uh, what's wrong with it? SP sabers at least seem to be fine to me.

Of coruse Raven will make a 2nd patchDon't hold your breath.

You're damn right Only made the game worse.How did it make it worse? Why is fixing bugs and exploits a bad thing?

Cause the first one aint that good. And everyone agrees.Everyone agrees? So by everyone, you mean some people at Lucasforums.com? I don't agree, therefore your statement is false. In any event, it doesn't matter if "everyone" agrees, as Lucasarts will do something only if they deem it necessary.

Originally posted by MasteR PudsLiG
they can't just abandon the unfinished yet released gametype.Silly rabbit :) Of course they can (and I would argue that Seige is not "unfinished"). Why can't they?
 MasteR PudsLiG
01-26-2004, 2:53 PM
When i buy a game, i expect it to be finished. Sure they can abandon it, which they probebly have... who knows? we certianly don't.
 Kurgan
01-26-2004, 3:49 PM
Bottom line is, a new patch will ONLY happen if and when LucasArts decides that a new patch is warranted and then gives Raven the go-ahead to do it.

They said they would avoid gameplay changes, but not sure if that includes making new maps or not. So far they've released new maps for the game, but not in the form of official patches.

Sure when JK2 was being patched they including four new dueling maps with the first patch, but that seems to have been the only time they included them in a patch. And of course these seemed to be maps they planned to include all along but simply didn't have the time to polish up before release (though they were only duel maps, the most simple of all).

While patches are entirely at the developer and publisher's discretion, the PC gaming community has been raised on the idea that patches for commercially viable games WILL come out, unless there are extenuating circumstances (ie: company goes bankrupt, design team all quits, etc).

Of course every time patches change gameplay there have inevitably been complaints, so this is always risky territory. The original purpose of the patch (for any game) was to fix problems that were unforseen at the time of the game's release (but came out after thousands of people played it more in depth over time) or else were fixes that were prevented from being included in the final game (due to time or budgetary constraints that inevitably plague developers in today's market).

Since the motivation for game companies is profit, usually they won't make entirely new content for free. Rather they'll release tools so that users can make their own content (which then becomes the intellectual property of the company by default and thus can't be sold unless you enter a specific special contract with the company that entitles them to a large cut) or if they do release new bonus content it tends to be in the form of commercial "expansion packs" that are then sold.

If the content is only marginal then it gets released like in the form of the JA bonus map pack we got recently. Can you imagine those 6 maps being sold in stores? The only way you'd see that is in a "Jedi Academy Game of the Year Edition" or something, but again Raven can't make a big move like that without some kind of LucasArts' approval.
 shukrallah
01-26-2004, 11:33 PM
I sort of think that JA was a get money quick thing for lucasarts, therefore nothing is going to be made. Now it would be nice if Raven would make a few maps here and there, every few months. Not a lot, just one or two. When a company supports a game, it lasts longer, and the community grows a LOT! Look at Quake 3, JA and JK2 were made from that engine. There are still more servers than in JA and more players. And its still being sold, the game is 4 years old! But heres the thing, there were several patches, map packs, and mods released (of course, im not sure how many maps/mods were released by ID) but still... the game is still going strong after 4 years, but JA is not exactly growing.
 Crow_Nest
01-27-2004, 5:24 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Everyone agrees? So by everyone, you mean some people at Lucasforums.com? I don't agree, therefore your statement is false. In any event, it doesn't matter if "everyone" agrees, as Lucasarts will do something only if they deem it necessary.

Well almost everyone do. :p

It made dismemberment almost impossibe to work, screwed up the stance cycle, and made rolling harder.
 Alegis
01-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
half the community doesnt DL maps...
The official map pack they released got around quite good I think..I also think the majority has them, ASE also recognised and advised it as a legal 'patch'
 GothiX
01-27-2004, 1:23 PM
I've asked Raven about additional patches and/or levelpacks, when I get an answer, I'll be sure to post it here.

EDIT: For one, there'll be no second bonuspack. However, Ford and Jesterspaz will still keep working on community maps - and their current project looks very promising, it must be said. More info on the patch may come later.
 Darth Kaan
01-27-2004, 1:55 PM
Well....everyone thought 1.03 was the last patch for JO at one time, then 1.04 was released.

You guys that think you know what LEC is going to get Raven to do or not do are hilarious.
 Prime
01-27-2004, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
When a company supports a game, it lasts longer, and the community grows a LOT! Look at Quake 3, JA and JK2 were made from that engine. I never played Quake 3, but wasn't that designed/marketed as mainly a MP game? I'd say JO and JA are more or less an SP game first and an MP game second.

It made dismemberment almost impossibe to work, screwed up the stance cycle, and made rolling harder. Dismemberment is still easy to set up. At least I have it working fine. What is wrong with the stance cycling? It works the same as before as far as I can tell, doesn't it? I agree rolling is different, but still easy to do. And that was a deliberate change by Raven, so a new patch isn't likely to return it to the old way.

Originally posted by Darth Kaan
Well....everyone thought 1.03 was the last patch for JO at one time, then 1.04 was released.True. But from what I remember there was certainly a lot more outrage/whining from the community at that point in time. And many people felt that 1.03 was seriously flawed (pull/backstab mainly). I would suggest that 1.04 was a lot more necessary for JO than a new patch is now for JA. What problems are absolutely necessary to be fixed? I believe that Raven has already said they aren't going to make gameplay changes. So that leaves bugs and exploits. I don't play much anymore, are there any serious bugs that require immediate fixing? But who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Darth Kaan
You guys that think you know what LEC is going to get Raven to do or not do are hilarious. Of course we don't know, but it is fun to speculate :) However, from the few responses from Raven and the the relative quite in the community, my guess is that Lucasarts sees no need to spend more money on this game. At least that is the way I see it :)
 Samuel Dravis
01-27-2004, 4:06 PM
What is wrong with the stance cycling? It works the same as before as far as I can tell, doesn't it? If you use cheats (setforceall 7 or something), the style select locks up and you can't change it. Of course, cheats are an unsupported feature, so there's very little chance that they will fix that.
 MasteR PudsLiG
01-27-2004, 4:44 PM
What problems are absolutely necessary to be fixed?

I wonder how many times you have played siege.....
 Prime
01-27-2004, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
If you use cheats (setforceall 7 or something), the style select locks up and you can't change it. Of course, cheats are an unsupported feature, so there's very little chance that they will fix that. As they shouldn't, IMO :)
 Venom666
01-27-2004, 5:41 PM
hmm i also think the roll they "fixed" with the 1.01 patch is rather screwed up and a clumbsy dodge now. for the rest they realy need to work on siege coz it couses lagproblems alround otherwise the single saber red stance has a lot of holes in the swings and the sabers lock up when you jump forward and slash
 Kurgan
01-28-2004, 1:31 AM
I sort of think that JA was a get money quick thing for lucasarts, therefore nothing is going to be made. Now it would be nice if Raven would make a few maps here and there, every few months. Not a lot, just one or two. When a company supports a game, it lasts longer, and the community grows a LOT! Look at Quake 3, JA and JK2 were made from that engine. There are still more servers than in JA and more players. And its still being sold, the game is 4 years old! But heres the thing, there were several patches, map packs, and mods released (of course, im not sure how many maps/mods were released by ID) but still... the game is still going strong after 4 years, but JA is not exactly growing.

Doubtful, since it had the same development time that JK2 did (though some would say that this means it should have been better than it was since they didn't have to create the core content).

Raven DID make a few maps here and there (the bonus pack).
There are also other "unofficial" projects like Asteroids.

JA is made from the same engine that JK2 is. Mods are still being made and the game is still being sold last time I checked (lol).

That and the number of servers has ALWAYS been higher for JA. The number of players fluctates up and down but for most of its life (and last time I checked 2 weeks ago) it was higher for JA than JK2.

JA has only been out less than 5 months, how is it supposed to compare to a game that's been out 2 years, or in the case of Q3 5 years? That's not fair.

So you're completely off I'm happy to say!

On average most games don't last too much after 4 months, so anything any game gets after that time is gravy.
 GothiX
01-29-2004, 8:19 AM
 Crow_Nest
01-29-2004, 9:39 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Dismemberment is still easy to set up. At least I have it working fine. What is wrong with the stance cycling? It works the same as before as far as I can tell, doesn't it? I agree rolling is different, but still easy to do. And that was a deliberate change by Raven, so a new patch isn't likely to return it to the old way.

The stance will get stuck to tavions fast blue in single saber, maybe you're not having any problems with it.

Most of us are.
 Prime
01-29-2004, 2:10 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
No new bonuspack, no new patch. (http://levelforge.teamhuh.com/forgelink/viewtopic.php?t=265) No surprise.

The stance will get stuck to tavions fast blue in single saber Well if it is cheats you are using, of course it isn't going to be supported, and Raven unlikely would do any testing for that kind of thing. It is unfortunate, but by no means Raven's fault.
 kieperkj
02-02-2004, 8:35 AM
I recently installed the 1.01 patch as well, and have noticed that I only have 3 or 4 lightsaber styles, where as before the patch I had all 6 styles.

Whats up, is there a fix or even a console command?
any help would be appreciated.

thanks
 Andy867
02-02-2004, 9:09 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
No new bonuspack, no new patch. (http://levelforge.teamhuh.com/forgelink/viewtopic.php?t=265)

You know, with the SDK out, its not surprising that Raven isnt working on any more stuff. Especially since they are not getting paid to do any more Jedi Academy stuff, and have new projects to concentrate on. Plus, with the stuff you want fixed, it probably will be with like the Open Jedi Project or something. The source code/info is out there to fix the bugs without the need for Raven to do it for us.
Page: 1 of 1