Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Idea for a simple MOD...

Page: 1 of 1
 Syphadeus
01-23-2004, 8:24 AM
I'm not a MOD maker, but I'd like to put forward a suggestion to the people in this forum who are. I've seen some excellent talent and genuine intelligence in this forum, and I've noticed that MOD makers seem to be quite receptive and accomodating to people's suggestions.

So I wonder. Would it be possible to create a MOD that stops the random gun-turret "minigame" during the game when traveling to different worlds? I mean, it's a really annoying and crappy game, and once you've done it once, it's really monotonous having to do it again and again whenever the game feels like it.

I understand that there are two or three essential ones (leaving Taris, escaping the Leviathan and the battle of the Star Forge) but other than that they're completey surplus to requirement. The random ones also don't make much sense in terms of game continuity. I mean, why would the Sith have squadrons of 6 short range interceptor/fighters orbiting Republic planets? Such craft have to launch from a capital ship or installation, so just having some floating around Tatooine and Dantooine when you depart, for instance, makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't know if it's possible, or how hard it would be, but I'd be grateful is somebody could make a MOD that would stop this stupid minigame being forced upon me. Cheers.
 Kitty Kitty
01-23-2004, 10:35 AM
***Edit***
Ignore this - See new post.
***/edit***

-Kitty
 Syphadeus
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time to make it (even if it doesn't work). That's really kind of you.

I've downloaded it and I'll test it later today when I finish work. I'll let you know how I get on with it! :)
 Kitty Kitty
01-23-2004, 5:37 PM
Ok... I *THINK* I got it.

Download the file from the link below:
Possible turret game removal (http://webpages.charter.net/ytl/downloads/NO_Fighters.zip)

And unzip to your KotOR\Override folder. If you're running any mods which already changed either of these files (which will NOT be the case for sure if you get no message about "overwriting the current files" when you go to put them in Override), let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Also - This has NOT been fully tested. I'm pretty sure it won't have any effect whatsoever on the story based attacks (after Leviathan, unknown world, etc etc) but that's ok because those at least make sense to be there.

It SHOULD disable ALL fighter attacks when just flying around from planet to planet, and should not in any way mess up normal story progression or gameplay.

I sat there and flew around for like 30 trips and got NO attacks...

PLEASE let me know if you encounter any problems while using this mod so I can fix it, and be sure to tell me any other mods/changes you've already made so I can figure out whether or not it's some kind of odd incompatability or not.

In any case.. had a couple people besides this post mention the idea, so hopefuly everyone enjoys. (and praying it works as intended lol)

Happy gaming,
-Kitty
 Syphadeus
01-23-2004, 7:28 PM
Right you are then.

I plonked the files into my override folder before playing today, but since I'd only reached Dantooine shortly after I only managed to take a few trips in the EH during my play time tonight.

Encouragingly, non of the horrible thing showed up, so it looks like it's worked perfectly. I wont get chance to play the game again for a decent period until Sunday night, but what I'll do is test it a bit more rigourously if you'd like, and see what happens, if it works, if any problems occur etc. I'll post my findings or lack thereof in this thread on Monday morning (GMT).

Thanks again for making it!
 Kitty Kitty
01-23-2004, 7:42 PM
Quite welcome. Just be sure you do NOT use the first ones I originally posted, but ONLY the newer ones. Or really really bad stuff will probably happen ;)

-Kitty
 Syphadeus
01-23-2004, 8:20 PM
:eek: Ooops. The first ones are the one's I used today! I thought you'd just just updated the link; not the files themselves!

Nothing bad happened, but I'll download the new files and remove the old ones from my override directory as soon as I'm able to.
 darthface
01-25-2004, 3:01 PM
Nice work kitty. It must have took some digging around to find that they were in the "galaxymap" files
 Kitty Kitty
01-25-2004, 4:49 PM
Actually.. they aren't. LOL

Yes.. it took some digging to figure out. Had one failed attempt beforehand even.. But finally tracked the thing down in the stunts include file =p

These two files however both use that one.. and since they were the ones that logic would suggest you'd have made calls to just before flying somewhere (and during actually), I recompiled them after altering the include file.

So far, it seems to work lol.. but even when I was done, I still couldn't really be positive. The way this game bounces all over the place between little bits of scripts can get rather dificult to figure out sometimes. :)

-Kitty
 Syphadeus
01-26-2004, 7:41 AM
Well, thus far it seems to be functioning perfectly! I made sure to remove your 'beta' MOD files beforehand ;)

I've retrieved two of the star maps now, but have traversed between three planets and the Yavin station numerous times (at least 8) and haven't encountered a single random battle yet.

So, I would like to thank you and express my appreciation for allowing me to enjoy this game even more than before, and allowing me to play it how I want to play it. Many thanks Kitty! :)
Page: 1 of 1