Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux Clanserver Setting

Page: 1 of 1
 Nuke
01-19-2004, 10:38 AM
How can I make shure from the commandline that the server runs allways "locked"? How do I make sure that this can NOT be changed via rcon?

Im running a Linux Server and I do not want to allow, that somebody with rcon can set the server to public.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-19-2004, 1:46 PM
Put "+set g_needpass 1" in the commandline. Make sure there is a password specified with g_password and seta g_needpass 1 is in the server config. I'm not sure if that can be overridden with rcon because I rarely have password-protected servers and have little experience with them.
 Nuke
01-19-2004, 2:38 PM
g_needpass cannot be overridden via rcon. So as long as there is ftp access to the base directory, a script can be uploaded and executed via rcon in order to change it.

The setting +set g_needpass 1 in the commandline does not change that behaviour.

Anyone with an other idea?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-19-2004, 6:42 PM
A better question is: if other people are undoing what you want and sabotaging your wishes, why do they have rcon access in the first place? That's what admin mods are for: don't give them rcon access, give them a subadmin password and limited powers.

That's a much better solution than trying to construct elaborate defenses against someone with rcon access.
 Nuke
01-20-2004, 8:39 AM
No, this relates to a more general case. Of course I trust my people. In most cases I can rely on them, but If I go on holiday or so, I would prefer a solutiuon where this just can not happen.

On the other hand, If you would rent out clanservers, you have the same problem too. If I rent a clanserver I would INSIST on rcon access, I would probably even insist on ftp-access. So how do clanserver providers handle that case?
Page: 1 of 1