Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

hosting multiplayer JA

Page: 1 of 1
 moop
01-18-2004, 5:04 PM
I am having some trouble hosting a server. My friend and I want to play a private duel, but we cannot find each other's servers. The search for a player online also does not work. What do you think we are doing wrong? We both have the patch and have no trouble finding and joining other servers. I appeal to your sense of gaming compassion that you offer any assistance that you can. Thank you.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-18-2004, 5:25 PM
1. If you have a router, make sure ports 29060-29062 and 29070-29075 are open\forwarded to your server's computer. Disable software firewalls like ZoneAlarm or configure them to allow your server to access the Internet.

2. Start your server.

3. Find out exactly what your IP address is with www.whatismyip.com)

4. Tell your friend the IP address you got from step 3. Have him use "New Favorite" to add the IP address to his Favorites. He can then join your server using the Favorite he created.
 moop
01-18-2004, 8:46 PM
Yes I tried to add his IP adress into my favorites and it didnt work. For some reason, our servers just don't seem to be getting out there. Should I run a pure server? Is there some kind of option that would cause this?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-18-2004, 9:53 PM
Non-pure servers are easier to connect to. Read step 1 again. This is most commonly a router\firewall issue.
 BawBag™
01-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Or one of you type in "/connect <IP>" (quotes exempt) to immediately connect to one anothers server. ;)
 moop
01-19-2004, 7:39 PM
that is quite handy BawBag, thanks. Where would one type that?
 BawBag™
01-19-2004, 7:40 PM
Bring down the console with the shift button and the tilde (left of the 1 key)
Type it in there. ;)
 moop
01-19-2004, 9:31 PM
Thanks for that command, it seems to work. Our new problem is the fact that the connecting screen just keeps counting upwards instead of joining. If anyone can proffer a solution to this new problem you shall live on in an immortal shrine of gratitude. Thank you.
 Andy867
01-20-2004, 4:46 AM
If using a linksys router, make sure to access it (usually 192.168.1.1) and type in admin for the password. Then from there, you will need to go to the advanced screen, and under the filter option, make sure that the option BLOCK WAN REQUEST is DISABLED. Also, make sure to set the forwarding tabs to just 29070 (no sense in having extra ports open since only one is being opened by Academy.) And make sure to set your ip in (use whatismyip.com as suggested by Amidala) and then make sure the connection is set for UDP (NOT TCP) and then under dmz, enter in the last 2-3 digits of your ip and make sure to apply ANY Change made on EACH of the screens once you are done on that page. And that should help get your server up and running IF using a linksys router, although other routers shouldnt be much different.
 BawBag™
01-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by moop
Thanks for that command, it seems to work. Our new problem is the fact that the connecting screen just keeps counting upwards instead of joining. If anyone can proffer a solution to this new problem you shall live on in an immortal shrine of gratitude. Thank you.
Be sure there are no firewalls enabled on either machine, this won't allow a connection, and if a connection eventually does happen, the game will be extremely laggy. ;)
 Agen
01-20-2004, 5:59 PM
I disagree, if it's just someone next door or down the road the ping's a dream (20)
 moop
01-24-2004, 1:04 AM
No routers employed by anyone and all firewalls off. Even the built-in one for windows xp. Still cant find each other's servers, while joining public ones works fine. You guys have been great but I think i'm about ready to give up on this one.
 Kurgan
01-26-2004, 4:27 PM
Don't give up yet! I'm transfering this thread to the proper "Dedicated Server" forum where you can read up and probably will find your solution there.

Configure your XP firewall to allow the ports that JA uses (in fact, give it full access if you can) and it should work.

29060-29099 TCP & UDP worked for me.

You said you were both using the 1.01 patch so that's good.

Try having them type in your exact IP to their favorites:

Ie: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:29070

(ie: for the x's put in whatever IP your server is using)
 moop
01-27-2004, 9:13 PM
we've tried the ip address thing. It's nice of you to be concerned, but we have a solution: join the same empty server
Page: 1 of 1