Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ambient light problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Fireglow
01-16-2004, 1:16 PM
Alright, ive been mapping for almost a year now, and this is the first time ive seen something like this happen...
I went into worldspawn, added key ambient, value 600, key _color, value 1 1 1.
Now, for whatever reason, when i compile and go into the map, everything except models and players are lit. They are just all black. Ive tried a few things, different bsps, getting rid of the _color key.
So far, no matter what i do the models/players are unlit.
Some help would be appreciated. Thanks!
 WadeV1589
01-16-2004, 1:43 PM
You've been mapping for a year and you're still using ambient *cough* and with such a high value.

There should be no reason whatsoever to use ambient unless it's maybe with a value of 10-15...
 RalKon
01-16-2004, 6:47 PM
Personally, I use 20 on a couple of my maps, but I rarely hear of anyone going over 50 or 60... 600 is kinda crazy... I would think that would wipeout any kinda of shadow or detail to objects in the map...
 WadeV1589
01-17-2004, 12:33 AM
It would...may as well just skip the light stage altogether if you're gonna use high ambient values...oh and don't submit it to JK3Files either because you'll get crap reviews...take it from a reviewer at that site we don't think highly of people who don't put in the lighting effort!
 Emon
01-20-2004, 1:53 AM
_minLight is better than ambient if you've already lit your map, as it will provide a minimum level of lighting, instead of adding light to everything.
 MightyM
01-20-2004, 9:46 PM
which would be better to use in my case? Minlight or Ambient? I havn't lit my map yet, but i'm makin a coruscant level at night and i want the buildings to be lit up just enough so as to be able to see the textures and then i'll add more detailed lights where the player will be goin, which do you think i should use?
 MightyM
01-20-2004, 9:50 PM
whats a good value for minlight and ambient on a nighttime level? As a matter of interest?
 Emon
01-21-2004, 3:23 AM
It doesn't really matter which you use, as long as you light the rest accordingly. I would recommend _minLight because it won't force you to use light values you are unfamiliar with. I would recommend a value of around 20, maybe 10, maybe 30 or 40...I haven't used it in a long time so I can't be sure. I still recommend against it. It's better to just place logical light sources (shader lights on buildings help) and use a lot of radiosity passes and radiosity bounces in your final compiles, and it will help eliminate areas that are too dark, whilst allowing you to create areas pitch black, should you choose.
Page: 1 of 1