Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Difficulties with models

Page: 1 of 1
 RalKon
01-15-2004, 7:11 PM
I have a map that was created in JO.... I dont know what is possessing me to do this, but I am trying to convert this FFA MP map to JA... I have a small office with a desk from the cinematics in JO... JA of course has the desk but it is untextured and it appears the reason it is untextured is due to a lack of a shader file supporting it in JA... I have looked all over the place in the JO pk3's and I cant for the life in me find the shader that references to this desk.... Does anyone know where I might be able to find that code or write it myself???
 Leslie Judge
01-16-2004, 6:11 AM
There is a models.shader in JO. Take a look in that one. If you can find nothing then tell us the name of the model.
 RalKon
01-16-2004, 4:07 PM
Thank You LJ... :) For some reason, it started seeing the shaders for the models I was having troubles with... Now only the images are missing, which is a simple issue of extracting the proper jpg/tga to the folders... *sigh* which means I will likely have to put them in my PK3 as well so eveyrone else can see it... oh well..

There is still one Model I am having trouble with... "map_objects/nar_shaddar/plant" It's supposed to be a small plant in a vase... the vase shows up fine, but the leaves to the plant are not there... I have looked at the models.shader and the only image it references to is a plant image... I have extracted that image to the proper folder, but the leaves still do not show in the map... There is a shadow on the wall from an invisible set of leaves... any ideas??:confused:
 Leslie Judge
01-16-2004, 4:36 PM
Hehe, I had the same problem for JO. I was suspecting it's a q3map2 thingy, since only that changed. Don't really know though.

But... this is and MD3 model, try to use it as misc_model_static. That one doesn't turn into map triangles so q3map2 will not touch it, plus it will be drawn faster.

Who knows... :D
 RalKon
01-16-2004, 4:41 PM
I have been using just straight misc_model

is there a performance increase for using a misc_model_static?? if so is there any draw backs??
 Leslie Judge
01-16-2004, 5:03 PM
Misc_models are turned into map triangles just like brushes do by the compiler.

Misc_model_static will not be. It doesn't have to go through all the processing that a map triangle has. We can say it goes directly to the renderer so it is proceddes and drawn much faster. Drawbacks? As far as I know it can be only MD3 model, you can't autoclip it and it is not shown in GtkRadiant only the box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
 RalKon
01-16-2004, 5:12 PM
So would it be advisable to change all my models to static??

and by autoclip, I take it you mean that you can't make it solid by doing spawnflags 2 so I would have to create physic clip brushes around the models?

Also is it possible to make a model rotate??? I have heard a rumor that this could be done but my source is for that info is shaky at best...

Thanks for all your help LJ... I really appreciate it
 Leslie Judge
01-16-2004, 5:29 PM
Originally posted by RalKon
So would it be advisable to change all my models to static??It depends on what are they for. If you use only MD3s then maybe. :) Take a look at the sample maps to see how Raven did. I haven't done that yet.

and by autoclip, I take it you mean that you can't make it solid by doing spawnflags 2 so I would have to create physic clip brushes around the models?Yes.

Also is it possible to make a model rotate??? I have heard a rumor that this could be done but my source is for that info is shaky at best...It is possible. You can use a func_rotate and set the model with it's model2 key OR use a func_rotate and a misc_model and target the misc_model to the func_rotate OR use scripting.

These are my ideas. :)
Page: 1 of 1