Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Basic Submission: True View

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
01-04-2004, 1:47 AM
Ok dokie. I'm putting the finishing touches on a port of the Masters of the Force True View (realistic first person view) system. And, yes, I'm porting it due to popular demand. Thanks for letting me know that True View mattered to you guys. :)

I'll be adding it to the OJP repository soon.
 Jedi Luke
01-04-2004, 1:54 AM
Sounds good Razorace! :). Obviously for MP but will there be one for SP?
 Darth Sun
01-04-2004, 2:17 AM
Razor: That's great! Good addition indeed.

Jedi Luke: The SP source code is not available, thus this is impossible to implement in SP, unfortunetly.
 Jedi Luke
01-04-2004, 2:25 AM
Yeah, I guess I always knew that there'd never be one for SP as long as the SP source code's not released. It's my first time in this forum and I was being very hopeful. Still it's good to know that trueview has been released for MP :).
 Wudan
01-04-2004, 4:25 AM
Is TrueView still going to be based on 'eye' tags or whatever it was?
 Marker0077
01-04-2004, 7:08 AM
It's nice that you are improving the first person melee code RA but I highly recommend you default the melee combat to third person view. You know as well as I do most people do not RTFM & this will be a turn off for alot of people. Granted, no it's not your fault that they don't RTFM but it's really neither here nor there. *If* you want to boost the mods popularity, I highly suggest you default first person view to off. Just a suggestion.
 Wudan
01-04-2004, 12:20 PM
It's already going to be that way - it's Basic, and having it default to 'on' would be against razor's common-sense, if Ii have an understanding of his reasoning by now.

TrueView is an accurate way of doing a 'first person light-saber mode' which has been highly requested, and since there's no blatant technical advantage to fighting in first person, it's in - very cool stuff indeed.
 razorace
01-04-2004, 5:34 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
Is TrueView still going to be based on 'eye' tags or whatever it was?

Yep, I beleive it tries to use the Head_eyes tag and if not found, the head_front tag.

Unfortunately, some models have eyes that are too sunk into the model's bodies, so I include a trueview.cfg that automatically moves the camera (foreward or backward) to prevent the model's face from poking thru the camera screen.

As for the options, I learned the hard way that people are too stupid to realize that True View is a togglable option. As such, I've set things up so that it defaults off but is activatable by just switching to first person while in saber or melee mode. The rest of the stuff is controllable by cvars.
 Wudan
01-04-2004, 8:14 PM
Cool deal :D
 Marker0077
01-07-2004, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Wudan
It's already going to be that way - it's Basic, and having it default to 'on' would be against razor's common-sense, if Ii have an understanding of his reasoning by now.This was defaulted to on in MotF. That's why I brought it up.Originally posted by razorace
Unfortunately, some models have eyes that are too sunk into the model's bodies, so I include a trueview.cfg that automatically moves the camera (foreward or backward) to prevent the model's face from poking thru the camera screen.If some points are better than others with certain models (& this doesn't always find it automatically), you could have a models view cfg file that has certain coordinates set by the model name. This would be similar to how JediMod had the cfg file for setting the various scaling options.Originally posted by razorace
As for the options, I learned the hard way that people are too stupid to realize that True View is a togglable option.mmm, it's not really a stupidity thing. You have to realize man, most people are not developers so you should take into consideration you do have alot of users that are "fresh out the box".

Hell, when I first tried MotF I didn't even know there was a third/first person toggle in the base game & why would I? It automatically toggles between the 2 views by default & that's how everyone likes it (for the base game at least), so we would never go looking for that button thus not even know it exists.

Speaking of MotF, make sure there is a readme this time (which I'm sure there is). :-)
 razorace
01-07-2004, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by Marker0077
you could have a models view cfg file that has certain coordinates set by the model name.

That's the way it was in MotF and the way it is now. I specifically modeled it after the JediMod stuff so people would understand how to use it. "RTFM" comes to mind. :)

Speaking of MotF, make sure there is a readme this time (which I'm sure there is). :-)

MotF always had a readme and a manual. Maybe you got a repacked version.
 Marker0077
01-07-2004, 9:03 PM
Originally posted by razorace
"RTFM" comes to mind.lol, I'm not a tester man. I'm supposed to be playing at least 1 hour everyday & I don't even usually get to that. All this crap I'm getting into is just consuming all of my time. I so need more staff.Originally posted by razorace
MotF always had a readme and a manual. Maybe you got a repacked version.Oh that's right, now I remember, the third person/first person thing just wasn't covered in there. Something about the controls or something. Woteva, I was just teasing you anyways, I'm sure everything is set up great.
 razorace
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
It was all covered in detail in the MotF manual. I beleive I only missed the definition of one cvar in there. And I also doced the hell out of it for OJP.
Page: 1 of 1