Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KOTOR Explorer?

Page: 1 of 1
 zardalu
12-23-2003, 2:05 PM
Some of you may find this interesting. I was recently in email contact with 'roboius', the person who took the NWN explorer and added SoU and HotU functionality to it.

I asked him:

"Are you still updating the NWN explorer? If so, are there plans in the works to incorporate KOTOR (see below) and/or the Shadows of Unrentide, and is there anything I could do to help?"

His response was:

..."I have no plans to add support for KotOR-specific features at this stage, given the lack of a toolset and custom content community for that game. "

I would like to poll for interest as to how many people are out there that would like to contribute to a 'custom content community' for KotoR. There seems to be quite an interest in the concept, perhaps if we could demonstrate that fact to roboius he may reconsider.

So, please reply if you are interested in creating 'custom content' for KotoR,

Thanks!
 Prime
12-23-2003, 2:14 PM
I would definitely be interested in doing some skinning...
 Lil' Jawa
12-23-2003, 9:54 PM
Didn't the same dude say he had started working at Bioware and therefore would not continue his work on his NWN and SoU tools? I mean Bioware wont exactly be more supportive of KOTOR modding unless he quit or something? oh well, would be great with some real kotor tools of course :)
 eidospsogos
12-23-2003, 10:43 PM
i would be interested as well.

though were this not a banned topic at the official game forum you'd probably get more accurate results.
 Prime
12-24-2003, 1:51 AM
Originally posted by eidospsogos
though were this not a banned topic at the official game forum you'd probably get more accurate results. Indeed. It is not banned for lack of interest, that's for sure.
 zardalu
12-24-2003, 2:38 AM
Originally posted by Lil' Jawa
Didn't the same dude say he had started working at Bioware and therefore would not continue his work on his NWN and SoU tools? I mean Bioware wont exactly be more supportive of KOTOR modding unless he quit or something? oh well, would be great with some real kotor tools of course :)

Thanks for your interest. Actually, Torlack is the person to whom you are referring. It was he who initially created the NWN explorer and who was subsequently hired by Bioware. Understandably, he will not contribute more than he already has or I assume his new job would be at risk. 'Roboius' took Torlack's source code for the NWN Explorer and added to it so that it could be used with HotU and SoU, and he presumeably has the skills to adapt the tool for use with KotoR, especially if he has the support of a modding community. 'Roboius' does not work for Bioware, but is a very valuable member of the NWN modding community.

So, keep 'em coming folks.
 idontlikegeorge
12-24-2003, 7:25 AM
I don't see why computer devlopers, and such don't always have some thought for support of community modifications by now.

I mean, look at Half-Life. Thousands of people still play and modify that game now, and it's going on what, 7 years now?! Because the modding community was supported by Valve and created some awesome games that people want to play.

I don't know much about Bioware, and I know LucasArts has SW game developers' hands tied as best they can (since Star Wars is a borderline religion, I suppose the establishment would want the least potential for blasphemy!) - so I'd like to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt as far as support from their end.

But anyway, I'm on my second major character in the game, and I'm taking it slow, trying to complete as much as possible... and I can see me doing maybe one other character after I complete the game with this one...

...then after that, I see KotOR gathering dust while I play and work on my Jedi Academy episode! :p
 Prime
12-25-2003, 12:37 AM
So is Jedi Academy the exception that proves the rule?
 idontlikegeorge
12-25-2003, 6:40 AM
Originally posted by Prime
So is Jedi Academy the exception that proves the rule?

What do you mean?

I just mean, that games with no hope of modding will die faster than those with more openly modifiable. And, I know that even though a game developer may not support or provide tools to mod, tweekers and fans will make tools availible. It's just more of a headache.

With Outcast and Academy, Raven atleast tries to do all they can, like releasing whatever source they can, and also some documentation. So I can easily see Outcast and Academy lasting for awhile, whereas KotOR, although highly addicting when you are playing, I think wouldn't last after 2 or 3 full character games through it. :(
 HazardX
12-30-2003, 9:46 PM
Maybe i would be able to adapt the NWNTools for KotoR, but i can't get Torlack's sources compiled. Some files seem to be missing. Maybe it's a problem with my Visual C++ configuration, cause i'm not very skilled with VC.

[EDIT]
It works now.
I've already made the Script Compiler KotoR compatible.
I'll maybe upload it tomorrow.
 Red One
12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by HazardX
It works now.

Great Job!!
Please post a link to your website (or where you're going to upload it) :D
 WysdomsGirl
12-31-2003, 6:10 PM
Oh wow! It does, indeed, seem that the floodgates are beginning to open JUST a wee!

I'm almost hyperventilating I want to mod this game so much! *lol*

Can't wait to get my hands on the explorer and compiler... I'm not much of a programmer, I'm afraid, but I'm a writer by trade, so count me in when we start REALLY getting down to the nitty gritty *grin*

Has anyone thought about adding dialogue for existing characters (I know that's a ways down the road, but...) It seems like it might be difficult, considering that all the lines are both voiced and lip-synched... but it seems to me that technology has come far enough that there should be a way to take new recorded material and tweak it to bring it more into line with the way the originals sound (altering pitch, treble, etc). Anyone have any experience as a sound technician?

Random thoughts... mostly off topic. Apologies! Thanks for all your hard work, guys! I was afraid the mod ball might never get rolling with this game!
 Modder
12-31-2003, 9:01 PM
How about map editor, maybe anyone creating kotor map editor
?
 Modder
12-31-2003, 9:01 PM
How about map editor, maybe anyone creating kotor map editor
?
 zardalu
01-06-2004, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by HazardX
Maybe i would be able to adapt the NWNTools for KotoR, but i can't get Torlack's sources compiled. Some files seem to be missing. Maybe it's a problem with my Visual C++ configuration, cause i'm not very skilled with VC.

[EDIT]
It works now.

Hi HazardX, great work! Has there been any progress on this? Anyone else having any luck?
Page: 1 of 1